Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: test printing  (Read 1810 times)

sgwrx

test printing
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:59 pm »

hi, long break from photography and printing.  i'm answering my own question but wanted to run it by to see if there's any other ways to look it.

i printed a photo 13x19 and in the middle gray area of the picture there were 'banding lines' from the print.  so i did the nozzle check and auto-clean, printed again 13x19. ended up with 3 13x19 prints that all had the lines.  finally i did a print head alignment and it dawned on me to crop the image to that problem area and print on 8.5x11 paper.  sure enough, the small 5xwhatever print looked pretty clean, so it was either the fact that i printed so much or finally did the print head alignment that resolved the problem.

so, my questions are:

1. it seems like best practice (if you haven't printed in over a couple of month or whenever...) is to print out a full size crop to check and see if there might be any head/ink/nozzle issues?

and... assuming that's the best practice...

2. if a printer (in my case epson r2400) is going to have print head/ink/nozzle issues, is it likely to be most visible in a middle gray tone?

i think i'll start print out something once a month, even 8x10 should be good i'm thinking.

thanks
steve

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
test printing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:55:52 am »

Head clog banding will be visible in the color associated with the clogged nozzle.  It can be very subtle sometimes, such as in blue skies when you have a single Cyan nozzle clog.

I usually do an indirect nozzle check by printing vertical crops out of the next image to print, mostly as a test swatch for the image but also to check for head clogs.  Since my 7800 has minimum print length of 6", I usually gang together 2 or 3, 2" x tall crops out of the image.  If the test swatch looks clean under slight magnification, I go ahead with a print.  If not, I go down the head cleaning path.  For a sheet printer you can just nibble away at a 13x19" sheet...cut off the printed swatch each time.  Keep a directory of images-to-print so you always have a candidate image for a swatch.  Or you can just do a nozzle check.

For most parts of the country Fall is nozzle-clog season, get used to it!  Doesn't take long at all for clog to develop (on some printers) you need to keep ahead of it.  Friend of mine keeps his 2400 under a plastic cover with a wet paper towel applied to the flip-up printer cover, swears it works great!

sgwrx

test printing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
For most parts of the country Fall is nozzle-clog season, get used to it!  Doesn't take long at all for clog to develop (on some printers) you need to keep ahead of it.  Friend of mine keeps his 2400 under a plastic cover with a wet paper towel applied to the flip-up printer cover, swears it works great!

ha, never thought of it as a season!  interesting idea, i kind of think it's best for me to stay away from introducing liquids to my printer. i tend to have poor judgment on things like that

thanks

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
test printing
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:45:31 am »

I have a 3800 and I'm not certain the 2400 has this option, but I changed the head setting to "Wide" on my printer to stop a sudden case of banding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up