Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Repair - a black hole?  (Read 9170 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Canon Repair - a black hole?
« on: October 06, 2003, 11:33:29 am »

You have my sympathies. I sent my Hasselblad Xpan 30mm lens for cleaning and service in June. I was shocked to get an estimate for 8 weeks, but was told that this was because they're moving the factory (Leica Switzerland handles Hasselblad but sends everything to Sweden). Anyway I commented that this was not what I expected for pro-level equipment, and they apologised and promised a 2nd August return.  So far it still hasn't arrived.....

Obviously if you're not a "name Pro" you don't matter much to camera companies, whoever they are.
--
David Mantripp

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 08:50:28 am »

What companies don't seem to remember is that happy customers are their best salepeople.  For example, this week alone I was going to show some 1Ds images at a local photo club (where several members are looking at camera options) and set up a head-to-head test of the 1Ds versus the Nikon 6MP at a fine arts publisher.  I cancelled out of both events due to 1) less confidence in appearing to tout Canon and 2) no camera.  Today I'm meeting with a well-known fine arts photographer who is very much in the market for a digital and who will follow the experience I have with Canon repair with as much interest as I have in the outcome.

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 01:41:24 am »

My dealer, bless his heart, went up through his chain, shouting, by his account, until he got someone who could take action. At this point my camera is promised to be overnighted on Friday.  My dealer got pissed because he had left a message that Canon didn't return.  We'll see.  It shouldn't take this, of course, but....  with enough friction, a small wheel can squeak as loudly as a large one.

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 05:33:13 pm »

All's well that ends..........  I received my camera today, it seems to function again.  No e-mail advising me it was coming, no letter saying they were sorry their expensive camera crapped out, no coupon for a discount on Canon products to compensate for my inconvenience or the cost of shipping the camera to them.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 06:58:39 am »

Just to tidy up.... the end of my customer service saga with Hasselblad which I touched on in this topic is more or less over and documented here. (look for the topic "The IKEA of camera manufacturers" if it isn't displayed)

I would be interested if anybody has any comments. Certainly I've had little sympathy elsewhere so I'm beginning to think that maybe I expect too much....
--
David Mantripp

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 10:20:11 am »

My two-month old Canon 1Ds developed a problem.  The Quick Control Dial quit working.  This is the control for navigating the LCD Monitor menus, setting the f/stop in Manual mode, etc. etc.  - a definite problem.  I contacted Canon tech support was instructed to send the 1Ds to one of the two US repair centers .  I chose NJ, being about 50 miles from me (insurance, by the way, still cost me $35 for UPS).  I was further told by the technician that the 1Ds made me automatically eligible for 3-day turnaround.  I found this entirely credible, given the cost of the 1Ds, and that it‘s their “flagship“.  Then, when I received the e-mail from Canon acknowledging receipt, it said that repair would happen in approximately 10 days .  I called Canon and spoke to a manager who told me that the 3-day deal is awarded “by invitation only” and that my camera, while it would still “have priority” would take longer than the 3 days.  I was also told that Canon repair was “very busy” this time of year because (I paraphrase) “among other things, people pull their cameras out of the closet to get ready for Xmas and find they don’t work and send them in“.  This did not, I must say, increase my level of confidence.  I was given a number for repair tracking.  I let a week go by and called for status.  I was told my 1Ds was “in repair”, and that turnaround was “two weeks”.  Did they not have any specifics on my camera, I asked, like an estimated completion time?  No.  I now no longer know what “repair tracking” means and why they even bother to give out a tracking number.  Since the time expands with each call, I fear calling again.  I guess this is not what I expected from Canon.

Jerry Williams

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 02:37:47 pm »

I too have had service dlelays but heres what gets me. .eg.

For years taking a Porshe into a VW dealer and expressing your passionate desires have fallen on dead ears as they sell alot more VW's than Porshe. Porshe realized that with this prefered clientel a seperate sales and service should be set up and over time did just that.

When spending 8K on a camera and many thousands more$$ on lenses and the like I go wild when I fall behind a S30 or whatever as you have described and have to wait weeks . Wheres the service!!! Not the repair which they should be most apoligetic for but your service that you paid for.

We all love and are passionate about our hobby or profession. Canon should not take advantage of that passion and seriously look into differentiating their clientel. I could go on but..... good luck.

Jerry Williams

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 09:08:54 pm »

If you end up waiting too long I would ask for a loner from the service center knowing they wouldn't have one but just to make a point.

Why could they not have a spare loner in each service center. Take a look at how many centers there are. Two in Canada that I know of. A corporation of Canon's size could provide this service.

These pro pieces of equipment should not break on there own. If we as consumers break them then we are expected to pay for the stress in time without. If there defective I loath having to repair their error. Where's the backup!!

victoraberdeen

• http://www.abovo-media.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 02:21:12 am »

A few years back I was given the Nikon VIP professional card, they automatically gave a loaner... Last time a Canon failed on me I delivered it personally and asked for the collection date, no calls just turned up at the alloted time – it was not ready, left with a replacement  

Good luck, I hope you get your camera back soon.

Foster

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 06:55:45 pm »

Russell, I can sympathize with you and your situation. I would say, get a name of one of the Canon "higher ups" and express your disappointment to that individual. You gave them 8g's for their best product, I'm sure they don't want the relationship to end there.

Edward

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 11:25:46 pm »

I sent my 10D in for service 2 weeks ago.  It arrived at Canon on a Monday and I had it back in my office the following Tuesday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up