Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 64-bit and third party plug-ins?  (Read 7275 times)

Philip Weber

CS4 64-bit and third party plug-ins?
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:52:57 pm »

I installed CS4 today (Vista 64-bit OS, upgraded from CS3) with no problems except my third party plug-ins don't work.

I spoke with an Adobe tech today and he stated that it usually takes them a while to catch up and unitl then, use CS4 in 32-bit mode, where they are working just fine.

My plug-ins are: Pixel Genius Photo Kit Sharpener, Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 and Silver Efex Pro, Noiseware and Noise Ninja.

My question for the software gurus out there - are there any patches/upgrades on the horizon so they're compatible with 64-bit CS4?

Thank you,
Phil

*Update* Apparently the Nik updates are slated for early November, so that one is answered.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:24:50 pm by Philip Weber »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:19:45 pm »

Quote from: Philip Weber
My plug-ins are: Pixel Genius Photo Kit Sharpener...

The 64 bit binaries for our products are due shortly...the current version of our products will work fine in 32 bit. If you would like to test a 64 bit version of PhotoKit Sharpener in CS4, give me a ping at jeff AT pixelgenius dot com. They will work with your current license...

Philip Weber

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:36:39 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
The 64 bit binaries for our products are due shortly...the current version of our products will work fine in 32 bit. If you would like to test a 64 bit version of PhotoKit Sharpener in CS4, give me a ping at jeff AT pixelgenius dot com. They will work with your current license...

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff! I sent you and email from my private account.

Hopefully, the other vendors out there will have the same sense of urgency shown by you and Nik software.

PW

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:32:31 am »

Oh man, I hadn't even thought about the fact that current plugins won't work; that's going to be a major inconvenience since some plugins won't be updated anytime soon and others may require a paid upgrade.

Do both 32- and 64-bit versions get installed automatically, or would you have to do two separate, full installations (and activations?).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Philip Weber

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:28:36 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Oh man, I hadn't even thought about the fact that current plugins won't work; that's going to be a major inconvenience since some plugins won't be updated anytime soon and others may require a paid upgrade.

Do both 32- and 64-bit versions get installed automatically, or would you have to do two separate, full installations (and activations?).

Hi Jeff - No, I hadn't thought about that either. At least for the plug-ins I have (listed above) three of the five are slated to have them out for free within a couple of weeks. I haven't emailed Noiseware or Noise Ninja yet and there was nothing on their sites yesterday. Maybe someone else in the forum has heard.

The CS4 installation is easy though. They are both installed simultaneously with one activation. You end up with two PS icons, a regular one and one that has (64-bit) at the end. That part, at least, is easy.

Phil

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:47:13 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn

If you are referring to Photoshop CS4, as Phil indicated, both should be installed in the correct places. With regards to plug-in installers, that's yet to be decided. An installer can auto-detect the OS and then install the correct version for the running OS. If you are running 32 bit, the odds of wanting to install the 64 bit drops considerably (the use case suggest that most people will STILL be only running 32 bit OS's). If the OS is running in 64 bit, then the odds might be pretty good that those users may also have a 32 bit OS or need to run certain apps as 32 bit apps. So, it gets more complicated. This is just one example of why we're still testing 64 bit versions of our PG products...if you have an opinion, it would be useful to explain why one vs another behavior would be preferred.

Gurglamei

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:04:07 pm »

If you are referring to Photoshop CS4, as Phil indicated, both should be installed in the correct places. With regards to plug-in installers, that's yet to be decided. An installer can auto-detect the OS and then install the correct version for the running OS. If you are running 32 bit, the odds of wanting to install the 64 bit drops considerably (the use case suggest that most people will STILL be only running 32 bit OS's). If the OS is running in 64 bit, then the odds might be pretty good that those users may also have a 32 bit OS or need to run certain apps as 32 bit apps. So, it gets more complicated. This is just one example of why we're still testing 64 bit versions of our PG products...if you have an opinion, it would be useful to explain why one vs another behavior would be preferred.

FWW, I use Windows 64 bit (XP and VISTA). Since the 64 bit OS´also emulates 32 bit, this gives me the oportunity to run both 64 bit aps and 32 bit aps under the same OS. Now, if both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions of CS4 automatically get installed, I would definitely want plugins to be installed in both versions so I can use the plugin in whitchever version of CS4 I decide to run.

ePaperPress

• http://epaperpress.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:01:01 am »

Quote from: Gurglamei
FWW, I use Windows 64 bit (XP and VISTA). Since the 64 bit OS´also emulates 32 bit, this gives me the oportunity to run both 64 bit aps and 32 bit aps under the same OS. Now, if both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions of CS4 automatically get installed, I would definitely want plugins to be installed in both versions so I can use the plugin in whichever version of CS4 I decide to run.

I'm the author of the PTLens plug-in and this is exactly what is done for the 64-bit MSI install. Both a 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the plug-in are distributed. The 32-bit plug-in installs in 32-bit versions of Photoshop, while the 64-bit plug-in installs in 64-bit versions of Photoshop.

Thanks to registry entries created by Photoshop it is easy to find the plug-in directories and determine whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit application and install the appropriate file.

Tony B.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:47:36 am »

If the 64 bit version comes with both 64 bit and 32 bit can one purchase the 64 bit version in anticipation of upgrading the next computer to 64 bit and be able to load the 32 bit part on a 32bit machine until the upgrade?  If so, would Lightroom also do this?

Thanks
Tony

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:35:34 pm »

You already get both a 32bit and 64bit version with the Windows installer of CS4. If you have a 64bit OS, you get both. If you install from a 32bit OS you get the 32bit version.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 04:54:37 pm »

You already get both a 32bit and 64bit version with the Windows installer of CS4. If you have a 64bit OS, you get both. If you install from a 32bit OS you get the 32bit version.
What happens if I try to install either on my PC with Windows XP Pro x64 edition?

I see that it's not on the supported list of OSes, but will it work if I install the 32-bit version, will it work if I install the 64-bit version, or will it just fail to work?

Maybe my best choice is to contact Adobe support and convince them to let me convert my current Photoshop CS2 licenses to MacOS versions...
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up