Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Arts - Tim Anderson - filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy  (Read 2490 times)

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Camera Arts - Tim Anderson - filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:43:30 am »

I received this email today from info@cameraarts.com:

Tim Anderson the owner and publisher of CameraArts filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy on May 16, 2008.

Be advised the current bankruptcy law may control any debt owed by Mr. Anderson.

If you would like to contact Mr. Anderson his phone number is 1-505-888-8937.

If you would like to contact his bankruptcy attorney please call Chris Pierce at 505-881-3191.

Apparently Mr. Anderson did not notify the CameraArts subscribers of this event. As the re-creator of CameraArts in 1998, I sold it to Anderson in December 2004.   I apologize for this.

I am operating CameraArts as an online publication at www.cameraarts.com and will allow free access to the site and its contents through 2008 as a way to restore the good name of CameraArts.

Sincerely
Steve Simmons

I never really appreciated Camera Arts; I felt it was more graphic arts than "camera" arts; I thought this may be of interest to some of you. I do not know who Steve Simmons is and I have no connection with the magazine.

Kind regards,
Derek

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:43 am »

I had a 2 year subscription with them a while ago.  I think they mailed me a total of 2 issues.  I'd have thought that with those kinds of cost savings he'd be making money hand over fist.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:24:39 pm »

Quote from: jecxz
I received this email today from info@cameraarts.com:

Tim Anderson the owner and publisher of CameraArts filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy on May 16, 2008.

Be advised the current bankruptcy law may control any debt owed by Mr. Anderson.

If you would like to contact Mr. Anderson his phone number is 1-505-888-8937.

If you would like to contact his bankruptcy attorney please call Chris Pierce at 505-881-3191.

Apparently Mr. Anderson did not notify the CameraArts subscribers of this event. As the re-creator of CameraArts in 1998, I sold it to Anderson in December 2004.   I apologize for this.

I am operating CameraArts as an online publication at www.cameraarts.com and will allow free access to the site and its contents through 2008 as a way to restore the good name of CameraArts.

Sincerely
Steve Simmons

I never really appreciated Camera Arts; I felt it was more graphic arts than "camera" arts; I thought this may be of interest to some of you. I do not know who Steve Simmons is and I have no connection with the magazine.

Kind regards,
Derek

No surprise to me. Back when Camera Arts was the sister publication to View Camera with the same format and editorial style I really liked it. Most issues had good articles on technique, and some of the photography showcased was really excellent. Reproduction quality was also top notch.

When the two publications split, the writing was on the wall almost from the beginning. The content of Camera Arts rapidly veered off the rails into bizarre, heavily conceptual or sureal stuff with an obvious fashion influence. The switch to a smaller format to me smelled of desperation, and I knew the end was near. Steve Simmons is a thoroughly honorable guy, and here's hoping he can revive Camera Arts.

Too bad, because we surely need photography magazines focused on the art rather than the gadgets. The racks down at your local B&N or Borders are choked with big glossies all about the gear and 75% ads by content. But other than the irreplaceable Lenswork, there's not much out there. View Camera remains very good regardless of your format preference. Aperture is just bizarre these days with its post-modern fixation; Black & White Magazine has some really nice work, but also a lot of garbage. Doubletruck is wonderful if you like photojournalism.

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »

I'm not surprised, it's tough to make it in the magazine world. Not a profitable endeavor as most magazines fail. Camera Arts and Lenswork for that matter have always boored me. They are very conservative compared to the breadth of image making out there these days. I mean, I can only take so many traditional nudes, landscapes, etc.. I need a conceptual twist or a technique or point of view that hasn't been seen before. I also like a viewpoint from today, not just the viewpoints of Ansel Adams, et al.

Of the many magazines out there, here are a few that are devoted to photography:

www.blindspot.com
www.aperture.com
www.fractionmag.com
photoworks
www.purpose.fr
www.seesawmagazine.com

Many of these, like photography in general these days, are obsessed with portraits/human condition but at least they have a contemporary take on the subject.
Pages: [1]   Go Up