Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Monitor oversaturated colors.  (Read 21712 times)

marceloc

• http://marcelocampiglia.com/
LCD Monitor oversaturated colors.
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:05:02 am »

Hello,

I just bought a new Viewsonic VP2250 LCD monitor. I calibrate the monitor with an Eye one Display 2. I am having the following problem, the colors are way oversaturated in all the non color managed applications (for example wallpaper and icons in the desktop, thumbnails in the windows explorer, windows gallery, etc.). The color in the color managed apllications is OK (for example Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Bridge CS3, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2, etc.).

I have a notebook PC and an Apple iMac and in those two machines the colors are OK. And i use the same workflow for calibration and try with the same images. Before i bought the LCD monitor i had a CRT monitor and i didnt have this problem with it neither.

For example if i set an image (sRGB image) as wallpaper and i view the same image in Adobe Bridge CS3 the image in the desktop is way more saturated than the same image  in Bridge.

I would appreciate it a lo if someone could help me with this.

Monitor: Viewsonic VP 2250 LCD.
Grahpic Card: NVIDIA Ge Force 6500 GT.
Calibration software: Eye One Match 3.6.
Calibration Hardware: Eye One Display 2.

Thank you a lottt,

Marcelo

marceloc

• http://marcelocampiglia.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »

Maybe this is an issue of Windows OS. I dont know if Windows Vista itself have color managment or not. Is there a setup about color managment in Vista, but i dont know for sure to wich application this applies.

Thanks,

Marcelo

sosojerk

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:46:17 am »

I am having a similar problem that I described here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=28778

My researches with Google showed me that the issue might be with Windows Vista actually.
Try exactly the same workflow under Windows XP. I am having the same issue with non colour managed apps like the browsers: Firefox, IE etc

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:28 am »

If your monitor is a wide-gamut device, then oversaturated colors in the UI and non-CM apps are quite normal.
The colors in the UI are just numbers (no color space reference) , and if the gamut is large, then these numbers represent more saturated colors.
I have Macs, and when I connect a Dreamcolor monitor, the UI goes Neon.

Edmund

Quote from: marceloc
Hello,

I just bought a new Viewsonic VP2250 LCD monitor. I calibrate the monitor with an Eye one Display 2. I am having the following problem, the colors are way oversaturated in all the non color managed applications (for example wallpaper and icons in the desktop, thumbnails in the windows explorer, windows gallery, etc.). The color in the color managed apllications is OK (for example Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Bridge CS3, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2, etc.).

I have a notebook PC and an Apple iMac and in those two machines the colors are OK. And i use the same workflow for calibration and try with the same images. Before i bought the LCD monitor i had a CRT monitor and i didnt have this problem with it neither.

For example if i set an image (sRGB image) as wallpaper and i view the same image in Adobe Bridge CS3 the image in the desktop is way more saturated than the same image  in Bridge.

I would appreciate it a lo if someone could help me with this.

Monitor: Viewsonic VP 2250 LCD.
Grahpic Card: NVIDIA Ge Force 6500 GT.
Calibration software: Eye One Match 3.6.
Calibration Hardware: Eye One Display 2.

Thank you a lottt,

Marcelo
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Serge Cashman

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:32:53 pm »

It is a wide gamut monitor (106% NTSC or whatever).  So like Edmund said - it's just normal. Don't expect it to be fixed in the near future.

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:52:31 am »

Yep, same here. I might add however, that the only color savvy browser for Windows at the moment is Mozilla Firefox 3 with color management enabled, and that at least gives you a color managed web experience. I also set Firefox as my default jpg viewer rather than the default Windows picture viewer.

See

http://evansims.com/tips/take-advantage-of...profile-support

for enabling color management in Firefox.

I have a HP LP2475w calibrated with Eye-One Display 2.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

AxelR

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:26:22 pm »

Quote from: GerardK
Yep, same here. I might add however, that the only color savvy browser for Windows at the moment is Mozilla Firefox 3 with color management enabled, and that at least gives you a color managed web experience. I also set Firefox as my default jpg viewer rather than the default Windows picture viewer.
You can try FastPictureViewer. It's fully color-managed and a little more photographer-oriented than FireFox  

davewolfs

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

Is this a Windows issue?  Does the OS X desktop, finder and Icons display properly on high gamut displays?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:34 pm »

Quote from: GerardK

Safari is also color managed...

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Safari is also color managed...

This is true, but if an image on the web is untagged, then OSX assigns the monitor profile to the image, essentially assigning Adobe 1998 to what is probably an sRGB.  Makes for some colorful surfing.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:22:56 pm »

OTOH, if the image isn't tagged with a profile, then any assumption regarding its color space is just that--an assumption. You can't really do color management with untagged images. But it would be nice if Safari allowed one to choose which assumption to make about untagged images.

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »

if the image isn't tagged with a profile, then any assumption regarding its color space is just that--an assumption.
yes. but for the web the assumtion sRGB is not that stupid. firefox tags all unprofiled images (incl. banner and logos...) with sRGB while safari just passes to the systemprofile (which on mac is the monitorprofile but on windows is sRGB, even in vista).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:16:03 pm by tho_mas »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »

The default Vista picture viewer has been color managed for quite some time.  If you're using color managed PS and Firefox, and the latest Flash viewer, there really are no color management issues with Vista.  BTW Internet Explorer is still not color managed, use Firefox which is possibly the best color managed browser available.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »

OTOH, if the image isn't tagged with a profile, then any assumption regarding its color space is just that--an assumption. You can't really do color management with untagged images. But it would be nice if Safari allowed one to choose which assumption to make about untagged images.

The choice would be nice.  I would also settle for sRGB.  I don't understand assigning the monitor profile though.

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »

The drawback with Firefox's implementation of color management is that it passes all colors through the monitor profile. This means that CSS colors in web pages do not render correctly. Blues take on a purple color cast because of the hue angle bending in the LAB color space. All other text and background colors get similarly altered although the effect is not as visually jarring as for pure blue. Pick your poison: Turn off color management and see the wrong colors for images or turn it on and have website color schemes go wacky.

-> I don't understand assigning the monitor profile though.

You're right -- it makes no sense to call this color management. Assigning the monitor profile to untagged images is equivalent to disabling color management. Let's see... the image is already in the monitor color space, so converting it to the monitor profile requires doing ... nothing. Sounds like Internet Explorer.

headproductions

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:33:33 am »

These over saturated colors are making using my new NEC 2690wxui2 with spectraview unpleasent to use outside of photoshop. I've sent this feedback to Apple:

"Can we please have a way to control the over saturated colors on wide gamut monitors. Maybe a setting to treat all non color managed applications to be treated as sRGB or ColormatchRGB, with independent gamma control. I notice that the window buttons in iTunes look normal on a wide gamut monitor but in all other apps including the finder they are very over saturated. Is iTunes the only app that is color managed?"

The buttons on iTunes 8.1.1 look normal on this WG monitor, while all others are way off. So I wonder if iTunes is color managed?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:37:19 pm »

The ideal situation would be the capability to switch to a desired colorspace via a push of a button. Then you could set sRGB colorspace for web viewing and switch to Adobe RGB or full gamut for image editing applications. Currently, the only monitor on the market capable of doing this with the capability of profiling each color space is the HP Dreamcolor (LP2480zx) monitor.

Additionally, untagged images are treated differently by both the operating system and application. Mac OSX will default to the monitor colorspace for untagged images.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:37:37 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up