Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 VS 11880 which one should I go?  (Read 9509 times)

Kitty

• http://
Epson 9900 VS 11880 which one should I go?
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:37:41 am »

I am using Epson 9800 and thinking of changing to new Epson model which is able to auto switch photoblack and matteblack.
I am thinking which model should I go 9900 or 11880.
Because the price of 11880 is dropping so the price is quite close to 9900.
But I am afraid the quality will be much difference.

Could someone help me please?
Which one should I go?

Thanks,
Kitti

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:27 am »

You have to think about what you plan to do with the printer.

For instance you would need spectacularly high quality files for the 9900's extended gamut to be of some benefit over the 11880.  For my market, the 60" width would be a more significant competitive advantage than the rarely usable extra gamut.  Your situation may be different, maybe the 9900's higher speed would be important to you than the extra width.

Kitty

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:43 pm »

Thanks Bill for the advise. I agree 60" is a big plus for someone. But I am quite concern about the print quality and speed.
How big difference between this two model in term of quality, speed, maintenance?
I always believe that Epson series >10000 is pro means fast, durable etc.
First I plan to go for 9900 but the price of 11880 drop.

If you were me what you like to get?

Kitty

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:39:21 pm »

I'd get the 11880 because I'm starting to do big, gallery wrapped canvases.  Also the 11880 has a little more milage at this point, I've never been an enthusiastic early adopter of new designs...I like to give them a little time for the bugs to get ironed out.  But OTOH the 9900 does come from a long line of very reliable printers, so maybe that's not a big deal even though there is some very new technology there.

If I did a lot of service printing, I'd probably go for the 9900 because of speed.  But mostly I print for myself.

BTW got a firm quote of $5995 for a 9900 today, free freight.  I assume that's the model without the profiling thingy.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 02:19:01 am »

I've been using an 11880 for about a year now ... fantastic printer, been very reliable.  I'm sure the increased gamut will benefit some photographs, but much of the gamut gains are in colors that aren't natural colors.  I think the new printers will be fantastic, but I'm not sure for photographers the gamut gain is a key factor to consider.  I've ordered a 7900 for a second location ... it will be fun to try some comparisons.

While both printers have PK and MK, they do handle it differently.  In the 11880, MK and PK inks are delivered through their own set of nozzles ... both colors are available to the head 100% of the time.  There is absolutely no switching of any kind, you can literally print a MK print immediately followed by a PK print.

The 9900 works like the 3800.  Both MK and PK inks are fed to the head, but they share the same nozzle.  That means when you switch, the nozzle must be cleared first.  While this takes substantially less ink than a 9880, it does take a couple of minutes, and wastes a small amount of ink.  On the 3800 it takes more ink to switch from MK to PK ... but estimated ink cost for a round trip is around $4.  The 9900 cost of ink per ml should be less because of the larger capacity cartridges, and I've heard but cannot confirm because of this it will cost less to switch inks on the 9900.

BruceHouston

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:53:25 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I've been using an 11880 for about a year now ... fantastic printer, been very reliable.  I'm sure the increased gamut will benefit some photographs, but much of the gamut gains are in colors that aren't natural colors.  I think the new printers will be fantastic, but I'm not sure for photographers the gamut gain is a key factor to consider.  I've ordered a 7900 for a second location ... it will be fun to try some comparisons.

While both printers have PK and MK, they do handle it differently.  In the 11880, MK and PK inks are delivered through their own set of nozzles ... both colors are available to the head 100% of the time.  There is absolutely no switching of any kind, you can literally print a MK print immediately followed by a PK print.

The 9900 works like the 3800.  Both MK and PK inks are fed to the head, but they share the same nozzle.  That means when you switch, the nozzle must be cleared first.  While this takes substantially less ink than a 9880, it does take a couple of minutes, and wastes a small amount of ink.  On the 3800 it takes more ink to switch from MK to PK ... but estimated ink cost for a round trip is around $4.  The 9900 cost of ink per ml should be less because of the larger capacity cartridges, and I've heard but cannot confirm because of this it will cost less to switch inks on the 9900.

I wonder if the purge pipeline is larger in the 9900 than in the 3800, thereby potentially requiring more ink to do the purge?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:42 am »

Quote from: BruceHouston
I wonder if the purge pipeline is larger in the 9900 than in the 3800, thereby potentially requiring more ink to do the purge?

The line(s) in both printers are not purged at the switch. Both have PK and MK lines to the head and the valve/switch sits just before the K head so only the content of the head is exchanged for the next K ink. I guess it will be a sliding valve with an electric actuator. The information so far indicates that there's less ml lost in the 9900 switch than the 6 ML of a full 3800 cycle PK>MK>PK.

On an Epson 9000 with a CIS loaded with quad inks I added a 7th line (PK loaded) to the heads with its own damper that when idle was stuck on a pin where the cutter used to be. If gloss was needed I stuck that one on the K head and the MK on the pin. Printed an A3 with black to get rid of the other ink in the head. In fact the same method but less convenient.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Kitty

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:49:16 am »

Thanks for all reply especially Wayne. Your reply is very informative.
I plan to switch between matte and photoblack often.

So I should go for 11880 because no inkwaste right?
9900 waste ink about 4 ml everytime switching black ink?

My mind goes toward 11880 now.

kitty

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:12:38 am »

what are the prices looking like for an 11880 these days? I came close to buying one this past spring, and the price I got was very agressive.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Doombrain

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:09:23 pm »

When you do, you'll need to use ProPhoto!

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

What is a 7900 I can't find any reference to this machine on Epson's site?

Kevin.
Kevin.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:22:48 am »

Quote from: KevinA
What is a 7900 I can't find any reference to this machine on Epson's site?

Details here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1475984.htm

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:12 pm »

Quote from: Kitty
Thanks for all reply especially Wayne. Your reply is very informative.
I plan to switch between matte and photoblack often.

So I should go for 11880 because no inkwaste right?
9900 waste ink about 4 ml everytime switching black ink?

My mind goes toward 11880 now.

kitty

No ink waste on the 11880, and also important is no time lost waiting for the printer to switch.

If the final call is down to one costs less ink because you are switching from MK to PK frequently, be sure to consider that it will take a couple of thousand such switches (or more) to save enough in ink costs to make up for the difference in price.  I only switch a couple of times a week most of the time, so I would be emphasizing other factors in a decision.  Your workflow may require switching daily, or even multiple times daily ... in that case the 11880 is the obvious choice, not just for ink but for time saved as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:44:23 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up