Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Apple MBP have no FW400  (Read 1937 times)

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
New Apple MBP have no FW400
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »

I see that Apple has eliminated the FW400 connection on the new MBP. It does have a FW800 connection but I'm curious if it is possible to use a mini plug to FW800 on a 1Ds2 or MFDB. I find it very unusual that they abandoned FW400. If FW800 is not backwards compatible, I guess it's time to find an ExpressCard that will take the FW400 cord.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:35 pm »

They're both compatible... Not had any problems on my side... Personally I think it's a great move, and clearly the right choice for their professional lineup.

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »

A good move would be two FW800 ports, not taking the FW400 out without using the spot for something else. With two FW800 ports, you could just plug your MFB on one port, your external FW800 HD on another, and work.

On my end, I'm a white macbook user ( didn't have the money to move to the MBP, and won't for a while, which is usually true for new photographers in 3rd world countries such as Brazil, which is where I live ), and I use the FW400 port a lot. I would have loved to see it replaced by a FW800 port on the new MacBook, but not simply taken away.

I think this is a move backwards. Better graphics, more style, but less punch than expected, for more $$$.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:46:35 pm by JessicaLuchesi »

Pelao

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:15:27 am »

I think this is a move backwards. Better graphics, more style, but less punch than expected, for more $$$.

At first glance I too considered the loss of  FW400 from the MB a negative. Once I thought it through a little, I feel it makes sense. For most users FW400 is of little use. It's greater speed (and more importantly the constancy of the speed) is really only useful with DV, and many of the newer cameras are using cards and flash drives, which produce fewer dropped frames. For backups etc, the speed is rarely relevant - most people just carry on doing other things during a backup.

As usual Apple has been very user focused - giving them what they (generally) really need, rather than a long feature list.

Pages: [1]   Go Up