Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Macbook Pros and Macbooks  (Read 25402 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
New Macbook Pros and Macbooks
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 04:38:29 am »

so apple is dropping FW AND not improving on their USB speed?

if you're missing FW connectors, you could still get a PCI-FW card. you have to go pro then, of course.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

GregW

• http://
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 03:09:30 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
So I would imagine USB 2.0 would be hard to implement unless new standards could up power and data through put.  The speak-when-spoken-to protocol would be a serious hindrance as well.

David

e-SATA (3Gbits/s) and USB 3 (4.8 Gbit/s) will provide enough decent through put but FW is unique in delivering power. RED offer eSATA, FW and USB 2 on it's Red One product but clearly they don't rely on FW for power.

I think it's sad but when Sony dropped FW and Microsoft dropped FW networking and now don't even support FW 800 in Vista, the future doesn't look too bright.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:11:01 pm by GregW »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 05:08:30 pm »

i always prefered matte to glossy...and still do...i looked at the last imacs when they came out...was ready to buy 2....but the screen just ruined them for me....someone here said that the screen is brighter then the "older" matte ones....very true (and part of the problem)...i have to dial my old MBP screen DOWN to be able to make adjustments that are useable for later serious work....i work on calibrated lacie and eizo screens and in order to do serious work the brightness has to be turned way down....yes the pics look a lot better with that extra bright/shiny POP but that is NOT what transfers to paper well....

i really love the new display with the adapters built in...great solution, but again...glossy? ONLY?

let's face it...for every 1 photographer who needs to tether his/her DMF back or canon there are 500 students, adults, regular people out there who want to do what everybody else is doing with their laptops....play games, watch movies, look at a couple of snapshots....hence the move to much improved graphics and glossy screen....

the graphics should come in handy with CS4 and future osX which will utilize the graphic cards for computing as well (i am sure other people can explain this much better and probably more accurate, i am only repeating what i read)...so performance will improve....which is good for all of us....

BUT why glossy ONLY? i guess the glass manufacturing calls for this....it should be pretty easy to make matte layovers for these screens so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.....

my bigger concern is that the MBP seems to be a larger MB..nothing else.....i was hoping for a  real pro version...make it larger but more options...mulitple HDs or even processors, more ports not less....

the FW issue really isn't that big of a deal....FW800 is fully backwards compatible and HDs, cameras can be daisy chained (or at least i hope they can)...but again....i would rather have a slightly larger MBP and 2 more ports....

or room for another HD and only one graphics card which sucks more power but gives me performance.....

how about a 1.8 SSD option with the system on it and a 2.5 (could be SSD as well) drive for files....

the 17 should have more room, so maybe there is hope (i doubt it...)....

the HD in the 15" just pops out like the battery, so that is good news, easy to keep a fully functional (CCC clone or similar) HD handy for replacement....

the problem (for me or us here) is: apple will sell more MBPs with features i don't happen to need then with the ones i want....

Dan Wells

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »

I agree with everything said here, and have just found a last-generation MBP 17 inch that will probably be my next laptop. The new graphics cards are nice, but the losses to get them are too great (firewire port, glossy only, etc...), and the most asked for pro features are missing... No increased RAM, no quad core processor, no high-res screen except on the 17 incher (which kept its screen because it wasn't updated), and no Blu-Ray burner. What was Apple thinking on the Pro? It's really just a fancy MacBook...The new MacBook, on the other hand, looks like a nice machine for its intended market (Apple clearly doesn't expect people to tether $20,000+ digital backs to MacBooks). The only reason FireWire was a mistake on the MacBook (non-Pro)is that it doesn't leave a good way for a student to use Time Machine... Non-students can generally use a Time Capsule at home, which is the best laptop backup idea I've ever heard of, because it is so easy. On the other hand, universities really don't like unauthorized wireless routers (which the Time Capsule is) on their networks AT ALL. That leaves students living on campus using a USB drive, on an operating system that really doesn't like USB drives at all!

-Dan

GregW

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:14 pm »

Quote from: Dan Wells
and no Blu-Ray burner.

Hmm, now should I buy that movie on Blue-Ray or download it from iTunes? Oh I don't have a Blue-Ray drive on my Mac, I'll have to go iTunes   .

Not that I'm cynical you understand, but complex licensing or not, I just can't see Apple rushing to supply Blue-Ray all that soon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:51:05 pm by GregW »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:03 pm »

Due to the lack of improvements on the new mbp, I ordered a 15 inch(matte) refurb with the 2.5 proc, and the 512mb video card for only 1499. thats one hell of a deal guys... get em while they are still there!!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 09:46:37 pm »

Quote from: RSPhoto
I have a MacBook Pro 17 in and a MacBook Air and the Glossy LED screen of the Air is way better for images than the MacBook Pro. You have to see it to understand.
I didn't believe it either but glare is never a problem, actually the matte screen is worse in daylight. Also, the screen on the Air is perfectly grey balanced without calibrating out of the box. I can't do any serious color work on the Pro but I could on the MacBook Air, although it is not powerful enough.
I'm hoping the next 17 in will have the same glossy LED screen.
Quote from: terence_patrick
Even if one is not working on photos, try surfing the web and reading sites with dark backgrounds like LL's home page on a glass screen in daylight. Sure, if there's shade it might be passable, but otherwise, it's like trying to look at the back of a camera's LCD screen. For photographers, which I'm going to assume most of the people on this site are, the glass screens are simply the wrong choice.
Exactly what I did today
I had a look at the new laptops and went to the LL site [due to it's colour scheme] and I could see more of me than I could the website. So I've seen it and really didn't like it.
The new trackpad [when changed from the typical crippled default setting] is very, very good. I like it a lot, but I've been using gestures for years [in Opera] and love the convenience of them.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 10:21:55 pm »

Oops doublepost!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:22:36 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:16 pm »

Quote from: terence_patrick
For photographers, which I'm going to assume most of the people on this site are, the glass screens are simply the wrong choice.

Horses for corse and each to their own I guess...    I'm with Wayne -- I have the glossy screen and love it.  Actually wish my 30" cinema was glossy too.

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

samuel_js

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 02:03:38 am »

I got the glossy on my mbp and I love it. But if I was buying a new laptop now I'd choose the matte screen.
The problem for me is not the reflections, it's how this screen loves fingerprints and how easy it gets dirty. I have to clean it like 3 times a week.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:04:20 am by samuel_js »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 02:17:48 am »

Same here. I have to clean it very regularly otherwise I sometimes end up trying to retouch spots on my screen  

I am about to buy the 2 last old version MBP's in the MacShop over here.

Gandalf

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:25 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Same here. I have to clean it very regularly otherwise I sometimes end up trying to retouch spots on my screen  

I am about to buy the 2 last old version MBP's in the MacShop over here.

I spent some time playing with one today. I would say that the new MPBs are a vast improvement on paper, but didn't do much for me in person. I don't like the glossy screen, but I can deal with it. I really don't like the chicklet keyboard, but I've been dealing with my Macbook. The glass screen will be far more durable in day to day use, but I wonder if it will shatter if dropped. I love, love, love the new trackpad. If I had a current MBP I wouldn't upgrade. If I were buying one now, the choice becomes harder. I really prefer the old machine in nearly every way, but CS4 with 10.6 (i.e. total 64bit) should fly and likely will be a viable machine for longer. So if you plan on replacing the laptop in the next 18 months, buy the last gen and enjoy the savings. If you plan to keep it for several years, get the new machine.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:45 am »

I bought the last 2 of the older version MBP in the Applestore. I got about a 40% discount which made them very attractive. I didn't like the keyboard keys of the new version, I did not like the trackpad though that probably is a matter of getting used to, I didn't like the fact I only got 1 firewire port.

Most of all I did like the fact I got a huge discount for a machine that might be a bit slower but also has several things I prefer over the new one. For the next 2 years I am set. By that time I hope Apple has 'improved' the new version with at least another firewire port and a decent keyboard.

CS4 for Mac isn't 64bit so we don't take advantage of that just yet. I have tried the CS4 evaluation and I find it is noticably faster than CS3 anyway for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:48:43 am by Dustbak »

Deep

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:50 pm »

Quote from: NBP
Sorry BJNY, my sighing tone wasn't meant for you  

I have FW800 on the A65s but when shooting teathered I also stick a ExHD into the 400 and save straight to that no room for that anymore - as I say doesn't affect me at the moment, just scratching my head a bit at the apple logic!

Glossy Cin Displays too  - ?????x1000
Actually it shouldn't be a problem, depending on what enclosure your drive uses.  Firewire daisy-chains so you should be able to plug your camera into the external drive and it will operate as normal.  Both my external disc burner and main external hard drive have two ports and I can run both and my video camera at the same time just off my FW400 port.

Incidentally, if I remember right, the separate ports on the older MacBook Pro are not that separate and a test I saw measured performance reductions when both ports were used together!
Don

samuel_js

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I bought the last 2 of the older version MBP in the Applestore.

I'll probably get mine this week. My first generation mbp accepts only 2 gig of ram. 4 gb are very welcome. And I really don't like the last model...

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2008, 03:03:24 am »

Did anybody find a test or some comment on the performance of USB 2.0 on the Macbook somewhere on the net? Or tested themselves?  

GregW

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Quote from: heinrichvoelkel
Did anybody find a test or some comment on the performance of USB 2.0 on the Macbook somewhere on the net? Or tested themselves?

As I understand it the performance of USB relates more to Mac OS than the hardware itself.

Fred C

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 08:05:45 am »

Here is the first test :

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/news_id-6445.html

It's in french by everybody can understand graphics.

It seems that the USB2.0 of the new MBP is faster than the faster PC laptop on the market wich is a very good news for all of us which are shooting tethered.

The bad news is that the FW800 is not much faster that expected and quite similar in speed that USB2.0 the way it has been implemented.

F

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 09:16:37 am »

Quote from: GregW
As I understand it the performance of USB relates more to Mac OS than the hardware itself.

the performance is related to the usb driver implemented with the mb or mbp

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 09:24:05 am »

Quote from: Fred C
It seems that the USB2.0 of the new MBP is faster than the faster PC laptop on the market wich is a very good news for all of us which are shooting tethered.

Interesting, hope this will be the same on the MB, so tethering a Canon or Nikon will became fast under OSX. FW to USB2.0 cables are around? At least I found on 4pin to USB, but no 6 pin yet...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up