Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 4.5 Tethered Support  (Read 41831 times)

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Capture One Pro 4.5 Tethered Support
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 03:43:13 pm »

just tried 4.5.....and i really have to say.....wow....the years of waiting were really not worth it at all....man am i glad i ditched this a long time ago....the only reason i even checked it out was to see if the tether support for the canons would work....and as of right now i am not sure i can make a good judgement...because i am still waiting for the files to come in....ooops there they are...it only took a minute or so for 4 files to come in....hey it is still faster then pulling polaroids....if that was still part of a digital workflow....crazy....

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 03:46:40 pm »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
If anybody feels like trying it on XP SP2, I would be grateful for a report.

Nill

Hi Nill.

I have XP SP2 on my 12" no-name laptop, I installed and activated the new version without a problem. I have no RAW files here at home, so I can see my new interface (huuh, will have to study these tutorial videos tomorrow to get an idea of what all this new stuff is all about), but I can't use it yet. Will try some D2x raw's tomorrow probably, hope it won't crash.

Tom

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:22 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Anybody notice that it still says (Hot Folder) under camera??
What does this mean?
At home at the moment and could not try anything tethered...:+{
But just opening 4.5 I noticed it has Hot folder enabled still??? Also it does not say Pro anywhere in the info or Program?
Is this true or did I install wrong over my older 4.1.2??
Thanks for any information..

Snook
Snook,
 go to help ,

view  software license agreement.

Click there you will see what version is.

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:25 pm »

Quote from: clawery
I don't think Phase intentionally tries to anger their users, but they obviously don't communicate well.  Why not Phase or the dealers list that it requires 10.5 so the customer can get that part of the equation up and running?  Obviously the dealers knew it was a 10.5 only piece of software since they all have been running betas for some time now.

Big Cooter

Sorry to say, Big Cooter, that as a dealer we were not aware until this past Monday (Oct. 13, 2008)  that it was a 10.5 piece of software.  Until Monday we were running 4.1.1 just like everyone else.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

I suspected that this was the case because it wasn't until Monday that Ulf (Phase One Denmark) answered the OSX question online at the user-to-user forum after Jon Gilbert (Phase One US) didn't answer it the previous Thursday.
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

Imaginara

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »

the pro or not pro is based on the license key. So if the key is for a pro version, thats what will be enabled.

I'm right now not very happy with them though. I tried to get my 40D to work tethered but the entire program just locks up whenever i try to connect the camera. And when i made a support question, it was obvious that the support technician did not have a clue about it but just re-iterated a standard reply. Too bad the reply showed the lack of knowledge in the worst way.

So now im waiting for a technician who actually knows the difference between a Canon with the old communication protocols and one with the new protocol (which incidentally was the reason that they didnt bother updating C1 3 to tether with the new Canons)

argh.. i need sleep i think.

Henry Goh

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 05:10:16 pm »

C1 V4.5 Pro is totally unusable on Windows XP SP3 - 4Gb RAM running on Quad Core

After such a long wait, I'm truly disappointed to the bone.

pss

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Quote from: Imaginara
the pro or not pro is based on the license key. So if the key is for a pro version, thats what will be enabled.

I'm right now not very happy with them though. I tried to get my 40D to work tethered but the entire program just locks up whenever i try to connect the camera. And when i made a support question, it was obvious that the support technician did not have a clue about it but just re-iterated a standard reply. Too bad the reply showed the lack of knowledge in the worst way.

So now im waiting for a technician who actually knows the difference between a Canon with the old communication protocols and one with the new protocol (which incidentally was the reason that they didnt bother updating C1 3 to tether with the new Canons)

argh.. i need sleep i think.

just so you know if it is anything like my situation with the 1dsIII tethered.....don't hold your breath....phase actually managed to turn a ridiculous 7-8 seconds (on mac via canon capture) into a 15-20 second ordeal.....WHAT A JOKE....

Imaginara

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »

Yeah if this is any indication i'll just stick with DSLR Remote pro for the tethered capture as its even faster than the EOS Utility. Though doesnt exist on mac and i dont know if it will work through XP emulation.

I might use C1 as a development module instead and just forget about tethering.

Oh well. At  least i got a payraise today

amsp

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »

Quote from: jmvdigital
Agreed. Moving to 10.5 isn't really that big of a deal. Is it the cost? The time? It's a $130, and maybe one afternoon. Many of the initial Leopard bugs have been worked out; I mean jeez we're on the 5th point release update of it. Maybe it's just the fact that you don't feel like you should HAVE to upgrade. Which is ridiculous. We live in a world where software updates are a necessary fact of life to get new gear working and get old gear working better. No one moans about having to upgrade ACR to get the latest camera support. Like Steve said, 10.5 has been out for over a year. Get with it. The upgrade is an eventuality for you anyway. Are you NEVER going to move past 10.4? Blame Phase if you like. Stomp your feet and curse their existence. Then go upgrade your stuff and get back to work with reality.
I'll tell you why, because there is NOTHING I need in the 10.5 version. Also, I'm not going to go through the time and risk of updating a stable system that I use in my work every day for one lousy program. Oh and by the way, Photoshop CS3, Lightroom 2, Aperture 2 all work just fine under 10.4.11. So no thanks.

pss

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 06:17:49 pm »

Quote from: amsp
I'll tell you why, because there is NOTHING I need in the 10.5 version. Also, I'm not going to go through the time and risk of updating a stable system that I use in my work every day for one lousy program. Oh and by the way, Photoshop CS3, Lightroom 2, Aperture 2 all work just fine under 10.4.11. So no thanks.

i can only tell you that 10.5 is the most stable os i have ever used....and i remember os 8 well.....there are no downsides to going to os 10.5....you were just not gong to upgrade at all? ever?

on the other hand....i just tried 4.5 pro and it is NOT worth doing or changing ANYTHING at all....LR, aperture,...everything is better and tethered shooting for canon is as follows....7sec with the canon app....15sec with phase one...no joke

afaik you do not need 4.5 for shooting phase backs tethered and if it the P65 does need it, you will have a couple of months to go to 10.5.....

amsp

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2008, 06:27:27 pm »

Quote from: pss
i can only tell you that 10.5 is the most stable os i have ever used....and i remember os 8 well.....there are no downsides to going to os 10.5....you were just not gong to upgrade at all? ever?

on the other hand....i just tried 4.5 pro and it is NOT worth doing or changing ANYTHING at all....LR, aperture,...everything is better and tethered shooting for canon is as follows....7sec with the canon app....15sec with phase one...no joke

afaik you do not need 4.5 for shooting phase backs tethered and if it the P65 does need it, you will have a couple of months to go to 10.5.....
Did you not read my post? I'm using OsX 10.4.11. Leopard is just Tiger with some lipstick on it, and not worth the cost or hassle for me. And yeah, after reading some initial reactions here I'm even less inclined to potentially screw up what ain't broken and doesn't need fixing.

bcooter

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »

Quote from: clawery
I don't think Phase intentionally tries to anger their users, but they obviously don't communicate well.  Why not Phase or the dealers list that it requires 10.5 so the customer can get that part of the equation up and running?  Obviously the dealers knew it was a 10.5 only piece of software since they all have been running betas for some time now.

Big Cooter

Sorry to say, Big Cooter, that as a dealer we were not aware until this past Monday (Oct. 13, 2008)  that it was a 10.5 piece of software.  Until Monday we were running 4.1.1 just like everyone else.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Sorry, guess I shouldn't assume, but since I know dealers and others have been messing around with 4.5 pro, beta for a while I assumed everyone knew it was 10.5 and just didn't want to spill the beans.

Though something doesn't make sense.  If you've been running it on os 4.1, why the jump?  Why not offer both?

Oh well, it doesn't matter until it's tested anyway and that will be a while for me before I get the time.

By then I am sure the reviews will be out.

But speaking of reviews, Chris, how fast is V4.5?  Capture to preview, correct and process.  How does it run the Canon 1ds3.  Is it slow on a Mac or faster on a Windows machine?

Give us the facts man.

Big Cooter

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2008, 07:07:16 pm »

Question for those who tried: besides, the thethered shooting for Canon that seems to be below par, any feedback on the other capabilities of C1 Pro 4.5?

Questio for Steve: is there a migration path from 4.1 to 4.5 Pro?

Thanks,

Cheers,
Bernard

samuel_js

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:52 pm »

I don't know. I still think 3.7.9 is a much better program. Easier, faster, and more intuitive.
Regardless of some image improvements in v4. this version, pro or not, is not worth the effort. The color editor is a joke. It has crashed about 5 times in one hour, etc... And the interface.. well...

Dissapointed, but I didn't expect much more actually.

samuel_js

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »

For those thinking about 10.5, I have both 10.5 on my mbp and 10.4.11 on my G5.
10.4.11 is the best osx release ever. It's the one I always trust. 10.5 is some kind of a funny release. Nothing more.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:30 pm »

I agree that the lack of the 10.5 requirement notice in advance further back than the day before the launch is a dropped ball on our part. That thought was in my head even before the first post about it. I've always felt with product delays that communication through the course of the delay is important but very few companies seem to handle that well.

I operate on the premise that there is always room for improvement. I have yet to see anything that could not be improved upon (except my wife and my daughter). I hope that going forward we can be more effective in communications to our existing and potential customers. I know that most here agree that we have had and continue to have a great product (not that it cannot be improved). But there can be a communication gap between us and end users and I hope we can do a better job of that in the future.

Last night I attended an open house launch for the P65+ and C1PRO 4.5. We did shoot the Canon 1DS-MKIII tethered to a Mac Pro and captures came in about 6 - 7 seconds apart, about what we would expect from the weak USB throughput on the Mac platform. If anyone is experiencing weird or uncooperative behavior, please let us know, make sure you are following the minimum requirements, and if you have trouble on one computer, if you have a second, see if that behavior is repeated.

Couple of nice things I've already seen from the software:

In the View Window (where your preview is) while the hand tool is activated (and can be activated just by typing the letter H) you can double click the image and it will jump to 100%. Double click again and it is back to fit window. The nice thing about this is that the hand tool remains active so it means you don't have to go to zoom, then go to hand, then go to zoom, etc. You're at 100% and you can start panning right away.

Also, most know that we now offer lens corrections on Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya/Phase AFDIII, and Contax lenses. Today we did some testing with Schneider Digitar lenses on a CamboWide RS. To my complete surprise, lens corrections are also available for Schneider Digitar Lenses. While shooting the 35mm Digitar, we were able to remove the center filter completely and simply adjust vignetting so the corners were lightened, and then we could save that as a loadable pre-set. Distortion and Purple Fringing corrections are also available with Schneider Digitar lenses, at least from what we could tell today.

And, the vignetting control can go positive or negative. It can lighten as well as darken corners.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2008, 07:41:25 pm »

I'm not saying anything but I like it and it is really nice so far. Lot's of nice features
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2008, 07:43:22 pm »

Quote from: samuel_js
I don't know. I still think 3.7.9 is a much better program. Easier, faster, and more intuitive.
Regardless of some image improvements in v4. this version, pro or not, is not worth the effort. The color editor is a joke. It has crashed about 5 times in one hour, etc... And the interface.. well...

Dissapointed, but I didn't expect much more actually.

Samuel:

I think it's possible that a new release of software which is different from an interface standpoint would seem less intuitive than a program you had been used to. I think if you give it some time, get used to it, and get used to everything you can do with it - particularly from an interface standpoint - you will find 4.5 very flexible and intuitive. Maybe not, but that is my experience so far.

True, the Color Editor should not be crashing, but are you saying that you preferred it as a separate program, rather than integrated into the main program? And we have been using Color Editor extensively both yesterday and today with no crashes on several computers, so interested in what is happening with yours.

I've sat through most of two C1 4.5 Pro seminars yesterday and today and I think there is quite a bit that is not so obvious that will delight you.

Also as far as speed, 4.5 should be as fast or faster than 3.7.9. Last night we exported a 380 MB file from a P65+ in 16 seconds on a Mac Pro.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 07:55:31 pm »

I only see one version to download -- called 4.5. I downloaded, and installed it -- it's called 4.5. I guess I have the PRO version (that's what I was looking for) as it has styles, moire, etc.

And for the Lens Corrections: my H lenses (I have the 50, 80, and 150mm) just show up as Generic. I thought these had been profiled in this version?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2008, 08:02:19 pm »

Hi Steve,

I haven't used C1 Pro much before and wanted to know if it offers the ability to overlay an existing image at a reduced opacity so that it's much easier to position product that's in front of the camera and if so is it able to do this when the camera is in "Live View" mode? By the way I'm using a 1Ds III.

Thanks,

Derryck.

That is the only thing I miss about not using the Imacon back and Flexcolor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up