Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed Issues  (Read 1505 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Speed Issues
« on: October 14, 2008, 04:55:18 am »

Hi everyone

I am a very busy photographer at the moment!  Currently using a one year old Macbook Pro with a dual core 2.4 processor with 4GB of RAM
using a 30" Apple display.

When exporting large batches of images (250+) at a time, I am wishing that I could continue using Lightroom for editing work on other pictures
simultaneously.  Yes, I know I should just go and have a cup of coffee.  But when I am really busy - you know.  If I try to use LR at these times
it's response is very slow.

My question is, if I were to buy a Mac Pro with eight-core processors and more RAM, would batch exports (and drawing High-res previews)
be proportionally faster?

My current setup works really well. It is just that when I am really busy it would be very useful if things happened a bit quicker!

Many thanks

Jim

michael

Speed Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:56 am »

Yes, absolutely.

I've been using a 17" Macbook Pro like yours for the past couple of years.

I recently got a 3Gz 8 core Mac Pro with 10GB of ram and the speed increase when working in Lightroom is nothing short of amazing.

Michael

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Speed Issues
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:02 pm »

Thank you Michael

Just the answer I did not want to hear!  Do we get the new carpet, or the tandem cycle I have my eyes on.
Or do we buy another computer?

"....nothing short of amazing."  though, has my attention.

Jim

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Speed Issues
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:14:14 pm »

Quote from: michael
Yes, absolutely.

I've been using a 17" Macbook Pro like yours for the past couple of years.

I recently got a 3Gz 8 core Mac Pro with 10GB of ram and the speed increase when working in Lightroom is nothing short of amazing.

Michael
I echo those sentiments having just gone from a 2.4ghz dell with 4 gig ram to a 8 core 2.8 ghz quad core mac pro with 8 gig ram and 3 500 gig drives in raid 5. It's blazzingly fast.

Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up