Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idiotic things you have done.  (Read 2735 times)

revaaron

Idiotic things you have done.
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »

I was on a cliff, loaded some KODAK 400VC into my Contax. Didn't put the flap down to release the back of the film.
walk over to another cliff (and away from my bag). notice the sticking up flap and tweak it as I'm pushing it down. the back pops open.
I cooly push it down and thing "ok, you lose 2-3 shots max".
tap the shutter and it spoons the entire roll through.

felt like and idiot going back and re-loading kodak 160 portra, but I put the roll in my bag.  I get home with the brilliant idea to re-spool the film through the camera. put it back on, shut the back... tap the shutter... hear it spooling and then open the back and I have the film spooled on one roller, the paper back on the other roller

revaaron

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:21:30 pm »

I also photographed insane clown posse last night.
forgive me.

elitegroup

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:53:56 pm by elitegroup »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:34 am »

I had a very old Linhof ST and had just finished reading everything I could find on the zone system. Months of saving and I bought a Pentax spotmeter. Thought I was White and Adams rolled into one. Was shooting in the mountains and jumped over a small stream, the headwaters of the Tugela. The meter popped out of the pocket of my down jacket and landed in the stream. It floated about 5 meters and plunged over a waterfall, 560 meters straight down!! I was gutted. I loved that meter and had used it only once. My meters are now on lanyards around my neck or hooked to my belt.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Carsten W

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:37:12 am »

Quote from: Martin Kristiansen
I had a very old Linhof ST and had just finished reading everything I could find on the zone system. Months of saving and I bought a Pentax spotmeter. Thought I was White and Adams rolled into one. Was shooting in the mountains and jumped over a small stream, the headwaters of the Tugela. The meter popped out of the pocket of my down jacket and landed in the stream. It floated about 5 meters and plunged over a waterfall, 560 meters straight down!! I was gutted. I loved that meter and had used it only once. My meters are now on lanyards around my neck or hooked to my belt.

I have a similar story: at one point, I got frustrated with the quality of 35mm film, so I traded my entire Olympus kit (OM-4, 50/1.4, 28, Tamron 80-210, T32, Winder) for a Hasselblad 500C with a chrome 80/2.8 with a mark on the back element, and a chip in the chrome of the body. I used it with a Lunasix for a while, but one day I found a second-hand Pentax Spotmeter, and so, going on a business trip to Berlin, I brought the two. I pulled out the meter to take a snap of the Brandenburger Tor, put it in my pocket and raised the camera, only to hear a sickening *crunch*, as the meter fell on concrete below me. It died in that instant. I think I still have it somewhere, hoping to repair it. I will probably just buy a Pentax Digital Spotmeter instead, now that I am gainfully employed.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:31 am »

i had just started to do some assisting and was hired for the first time by a UK photographer to assist him shoot a CEO of a huge american company in London. Big job, me nervous as shit. Got out of the house in the morning just to realise I had put on my old nasty light brown sneakers, so i turned around to get some decent black leather shoes. Phone rang with the photographer telling me to hurry up because the shot was preponed. ran to the studio, packed a truckload of gear, ran to the headquaters, set everything up, the shoot started, i looked down to realise I wore one sneaker and one black shoe. the rest of the morning i tried to hide one of my shoes behind camera bags, but when we had finished up, the CEO' assistant asked me whether that was a fashion statement....

shortly after that i decided to give up assisting and rather to do my own work as a photographer.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

A.K.

• http://www.andreykulpin.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:46:28 am »

I was doing a long exposure about a week ago, at night, in complete darkness (left the spotlight in the car and had to use my mobile to illuminate the camera controls), on a cliff near the sea. The weather was rather bad so I wanted to set everything up quickly and get somewhere under the cliff, where it was not so windy. I have finally opened the shutter and was ready to go, when I have noticed that the tripod stands crookedly: two legs almost perpendicular to the ground! And yes, it was the last frame on the film! So had to stand there and hold the tripod for more then a half an hour in an extremely uncomfortable pose...
Regards,
 Andrey Kulpin [url=http://www.a

Carsten W

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »

Quote from: A.K.
So had to stand there and hold the tripod for more then a half an hour in an extremely uncomfortable pose...

Great story... but... if you had just released the camera, could you not quickly adjust it? With a half-an-hour exposure, the effect would have been minimal.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:01:38 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:08 pm »

Two things come to mind.  One was... one of those perfect days - up before sunrise, a doe wandered down to the stream right across from me and my tripod, various songbirds coming into view... and about 3:00 in the afternoon I realized I had forgotten to load the camera with film.  The second was one night when I was out under a bridge making time exposures during a lightning storm.  Some great images.  Went into the darkroom and loaded that roll of film onto the spool, then set it on the counter.  Started loading another roll of film, but I was having a hard time getting it to line up properly.  After several frustrating minuted I decided to get another spool, and put the roll of film in a drawer and turned on the lights.  Took the first roll of film with the lightning shots, which was still sitting on the counter, and tossed it.

There was also the time when I was out on the St. Lawrence River at low tide, and it was really windy so I had the tripod legs set up really wide, but not to be outdone the wind changed directions and blew the entire assembly onto a rock.  Dented in the camera body and snapped the tripod mount on the 400mm lens.  I don't know there was anything else I could have done, though, other than stay home.  Or the time I was driving around the coastline of New Brunswick early Sunday morning - not on a photography excursion, but driving to Halifax via the scenic route to see a friend.  Stopped at a small river and made some images of the fishing boats with the last of my film.  Got back in the car, drove a few hundred more metres and there was an estuary with... 37 Great Blue Herons in it.  And me without film, at 7:00 on a Sunday morning, in rural New Brunswick.  Still have the memory, though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up