Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS 20D and Sigma lenses  (Read 5831 times)

DarkPenguin

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:49:02 am »

I have none of the above but I hear great things about the 70-300 apo super macro ii.  (or something like that.)  Daniella over at dpreview used to do a lot of work with one.

milanissimo

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:57:02 pm »

Thank you. But Sigma 300 f2,8 is like 2500 usd, so.. pretty much out of my budget range  :D
I visit dpreview every day and I'm quite familiar with Daniella's work. She does some amazing stuff.

Anyway, if other people have experience with those lenses, please let me know how they work, how they are compatible etc. I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

milanissimo

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 06:30:12 pm »

No. Either Nikon D70 (I have moderate experience working with it and I think it's a great camera) or EOS 20D. If I'd go with Rebel XT, it still wouldn't be enough for a good Canon lenses. Besides, I think Rebel XT is not as good as D70.
You have to understand, from where I am, it takes sh*tload of money to buy really good lenses. Even 70-200 L f 4 costs about 700 USD and I'm still buying it abroad. So it takes ages to save for L. And saying 700 USD is a LOT of money in Slovakia. It's a solid monthly wage (that means if I had it I would be happy).

Edit:
Eos 20 D+Sigma 24-70 = 1600 USD
Rebel XT alone = 1000 USD adding anything good = lot of money

milanissimo

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 05:10:54 am »

No, I'm saying that the amount of money I would save with going with Rebel XT instead of 20D wouldn't be enough for buying better lenses than Sigma.
There is nothing wrong with XT's resolution/sensor/DIGIC II. But when you compare it with Nikon D70, for me, the only thing XT is better than D70 is resolution. And D70 lacks some features I would utilize (at least I think I would).  
Anyway, I don't expect to be buying any SLR in 4-5 year's time, so I want better camera than Rebel XT and D70 .. and that is 20D.

davidr805

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:15:52 pm »

well I have 2 sigma lenses one is the 15 - 30mm and the sigma 28-300mm ..  you can take a look at my gallery at  http://www.photozo.com/album/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4489  

Â     i use them on a 10D

milanissimo

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 06:43:26 pm »

Thank you for all your replies. The package came yesterday and I got it today (I was on vacation, sadly, without camera  :( ). I shot about 60 pics with Sigma 24-70 f 3,5-5,6, but it was in low light and mostly with flash, so I will have to wait for tomorrow to take some real pics (only on our backyard I guess, but I'm hoping for a good weather).
Btw. EOS 20D rocks!  :D

milanissimo

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 09:09:54 am »

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum. My EOS 20D will be arriving sometime next week. Because of my very limited budget at the moment, I can't go with good quality Canon L or better EF lens, so I decided to try some Sigmas.

I ordered a Sigma 24-70 f 3.5-5.6 Asph. HF because of some very good reviews elsewhere (and because it was about 150 USD in my country). Few weeks later, I'll be getting either Sigma 135-400 f 4.0-5.6 APO Asph. or Sigma 70-300 f 4.0-5.6 APO Macro.

I'd like to ask for your oppinion. Does any of you have experience with this combination (20D, S24-70,...)? Were there any incompatibility problems of the body-lenses? Or front/backfocusing issues?

Thanks for your replies

macgyver

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 12:03:34 pm »

Some of the Sigma gear is great.  I used a 300mm f/2.8 sigma lens for the better part of a year with no complaints other than weight.  Very sharp and the motor is quite fast.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 05:41:21 pm »

Have you considered buying a Rebel XT instead of the 20D, and using the savings toward better glass?

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 06:36:44 pm »

it still wouldn't be enough for a good Canon lenses

I'm not sure I understand that statement. Are you saying that the image quality of the Rebel XL is not good enough for L glass when a 20D is?

What's the difference? 8 MP and Digic II processor in both.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

macgyver

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 01:36:14 pm »

Thank you. But Sigma 300 f2,8 is like 2500 usd, so.. pretty much out of my budget range  
I visit dpreview every day and I'm quite familiar with Daniella's work. She does some amazing stuff.

Anyway, if other people have experience with those lenses, please let me know how they work, how they are compatible etc. I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

I'm sorry if that came out wrong, I wasnt recomending that lens (though I would) I was just making a statment about Sigma gear in general.  I've liked it.

-macgyver

DarkPenguin

EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 02:06:32 pm »

I'm sorry if that came out wrong, I wasnt recomending that lens (though I would) I was just making a statment about Sigma gear in general.  I've liked it.

-macgyver
I'll second that.  I have two sigma lenses.  A 50mm macro (working distance became less of an issue when I bought the 20d.  1.6 crop can be a good thing) and a 15mm FE.  Both of which I love.  (Although I'm thinking of selling the 15 to help fund a 12-24 tokina.)

wjy

• http://www.billyyunck.com
EOS 20D and Sigma lenses
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 07:13:23 pm »

I've used some Sigma lenses, and generally you can get satisfactory results but never with the aperature wide open.  I live in northern Montana (US) and we have fairly low light here for about six months out of the year, so I ended up trading them in for canon lenses which I am very happy with.  To get started though, I think you can make the Sigmas work, after all a cheap lens is better than no lens at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up