Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Grover / Hasselblad A/s  (Read 31139 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
David Grover / Hasselblad A/s
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »

Hej David, welcome to LL.
With regard to using LR/ACR to process one's images, it would be in your interest to allow Adobe to do so as many people really like LR/Bridge/PS and the workflow involved. The thought of having to deal with yet more software and associated workflow could decide the difference between using a H3D and a 1Ds.
Now I've used Phocus and although it is sooooooo much better than the execrable FlexColour, it is still somewhat lacking when compared to Adobe's software.
I used Phocus, then LR or Bridge, then PS to get to the image I liked. Not the best of workflows. And if I can spend less time stuck behind the health wrecking computer, I'll gladly take it.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

PeterA

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2008, 09:54:47 pm »

Hi David,

If you are down here in Melbourne in November, and you have the time, would be a pleasure to buy you lunch. I am in the city in business hours.

Pete

VanKou

• http://www.vankou.com
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:08 pm »

David:

Welcome from me as well.

I believe I belong to the tiny minority of people that are using Windows.  I recently purchased a new laptop which runs Vista.  
Does Hasselblad support Vista?  For all backs?  What about the V96C?   You certainly need to update the support that you are providing for Windows systems.  I recently raised a support issue (my V96C does not work with Vista; it seems that there are no drivers for it).  Your support in US had to go get a Windows system in order to help me out.  Actually, the question has been pending for about two weeks and I do not have a solution.  If I did not have a backup laptop running XP, I'd be dead in the water.  Please improve your support.

Thanks
Evangelos
VanKou Photography
www.vankou.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 02:43:11 am »

Quote from: PeterA
Hi David,

If you are down here in Melbourne in November, and you have the time, would be a pleasure to buy you lunch. I am in the city in business hours.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Ill let you know when the event will be incase you feel like attending.  I believe it will be in the evening so you may have time to attend.  If lunchtime is free - you will be the first to know!

Cheers,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:41 am »

Quote from: jjj
Hej David, welcome to LL.
With regard to using LR/ACR to process one's images, it would be in your interest to allow Adobe to do so as many people really like LR/Bridge/PS and the workflow involved. The thought of having to deal with yet more software and associated workflow could decide the difference between using a H3D and a 1Ds.
Now I've used Phocus and although it is sooooooo much better than the execrable FlexColour, it is still somewhat lacking when compared to Adobe's software.
I used Phocus, then LR or Bridge, then PS to get to the image I liked. Not the best of workflows. And if I can spend less time stuck behind the health wrecking computer, I'll gladly take it.

Hi Jeremy,

Just to make clear there is an ongoing discussion about this to find the best solution.

That said, can you tell me in your workflow what you are doing in LR or Bridge as the intermediate stage before PS.

David

David Grover

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2008, 07:53:52 am »

Quote from: Nick-T
The lenses supported are: 28 (H3D only) 35, 50, 80, 100 plus any combo of extension tubes.
Nick-T

I am about to receive the 28 for use with my CF/H2F. Are you telling me I cannot use the HTS with that combo with the 28 or is that a mistake?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2008, 08:01:53 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Jeremy,

Just to make clear there is an ongoing discussion about this to find the best solution.

That said, can you tell me in your workflow what you are doing in LR or Bridge as the intermediate stage before PS.

David

Just as Jeremy I prefer to use the Bridge. The thing that I use in the bridge is ACR to prep my images as far as possible. After that I use the image processor to save in the desired format together with an action. What I really need is the ability to run actions while processing.

I normally have a batch of a couple of hundred images. I run 1 which is exemplary for most of the images through PS. I record that as an action. I turn to the bridge and process the whole bunch with the image processor as well as that action I made. After processing I go over the images and enhance those that need it further by hand.

I would be happy as well when I could invoke an Photoshop action in Phocus which runs before actually saving towards JPG/TIFF/Etc... ! (it is scripting language so it should be possible as long as someone has PS installed) No MFDB software has that functionality which totally baffles me.

Currently I convert most images to DNG and run them through the bridge. Fortunately I don't need DAC with them and I am very comfortable in PS/ACR for color correction, etc..

I totally agree with Jeremy that it would be very beneficial to Hasselblad to get full Adobe support. Many people I hear are scared away from the fact they feel they have only the option to go through Flex or Phocus or go an alternative route with 1 extra step and loose something apparently valuable (DAC).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:05:21 am by Dustbak »

• Capture One
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2008, 08:36:47 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
Just as Jeremy I prefer to use the Bridge. The thing that I use in the bridge is ACR to prep my images as far as possible. After that I use the image processor to save in the desired format together with an action. What I really need is the ability to run actions while processing.

I normally have a batch of a couple of hundred images. I run 1 which is exemplary for most of the images through PS. I record that as an action. I turn to the bridge and process the whole bunch with the image processor as well as that action I made. After processing I go over the images and enhance those that need it further by hand.

I would be happy as well when I could invoke an Photoshop action in Phocus which runs before actually saving towards JPG/TIFF/Etc... ! (it is scripting language so it should be possible as long as someone has PS installed) No MFDB software has that functionality which totally baffles me.

Currently I convert most images to DNG and run them through the bridge. Fortunately I don't need DAC with them and I am very comfortable in PS/ACR for color correction, etc..

I totally agree with Jeremy that it would be very beneficial to Hasselblad to get full Adobe support. Many people I hear are scared away from the fact they feel they have only the option to go through Flex or Phocus or go an alternative route with 1 extra step and loose something apparently valuable (DAC).

Hi Ray,

Perhaps you can tell me what sort of actions you are running in Bridge?  Could the same 'kind' of actions be achieved in Phocus?

If there is some kind of functionality missing that could be addressed then it could be interesting to know more.

David

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2008, 08:37:35 am »

I am about to receive the 28 for use with my CF/H2F. Are you telling me I cannot use the HTS with that combo with the 28 or is that a mistake?

Don't worry!  Yes you can use H2F + HCD28 + HTS.

No problem there.  ;-)

David Grover

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2008, 10:32:32 am »

Don't worry!  Yes you can use H2F + HCD28 + HTS.

No problem there.  ;-)

Welcome David

but the H2F  doesn't work with a P45  :-(
actually there is no way for me to upgrade my H1  as I said to Peter Stig-Nielsen in Photokina  (max exposure time = 32 s in all H3D)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:33:14 am by erick.boileau »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 10:35:04 am »

Actions I make are often over 30 steps and include a multitude of layers with different blendmodes. Some of them have automatic masking based on specific channels (mostly blue channel). Not the kind of functionality you probably would want to have in Phocus unless you plan on taking on Adobe

I know in the Bridge the image processor is a piece of scripting, it might be possible to invoke photoshop actions or droplets before saving the images from Phocus. The ability to select photoshop actions in Phocus to run would be a very nice addition as far as I am concerned.

If some of the same sort of functionality as in ACR could be implemented it would be nice as well. Features I like in ACR are: Fill light & recovery which have no equivalent (as far as I know) in Phocus.

Besides this I use Lightroom to archive my files (by lack of better). It would be nice if I could use it to archive 3FR files but for that it needs to be able to handle them. Now I convert to DNG and archive those which is not ideal.

Commercial files I throw away the raw files after 6 months unless the images have lasting power but most I find have not.

Being flexible has a lot of value. Most people have different workflows and some have different workflows based on the type of work or type of files.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:44:16 am by Dustbak »

• Capture One
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 10:42:03 am »

Actions I make are often over 30 steps and include a multitude of layers with different blendmodes. Some of them have automatic masking based on specific channels (mostly blue channel). Not the kind of functionality you probably would want to have in Phocus unless you plan on taking on Adobe

I know in the Bridge the image processor is a piece of scripting, it might be possible to invoke photoshop actions or droplets before saving the images from Phocus. The ability to select photoshop actions in Phocus to run would be a very nice addition as far as I am concerned.

Mmmm yes, sounds best left to Adobe that.  Thanks for your reply anyway!

It certainly is an interesting idea regarding the actions and is worth bringing to the table.

David

David Grover

Saša D. Karić

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2008, 11:36:55 am »

David, first of all WELCOME to LL!!!

I had a chance to read about your background and I'm impressed!

You already answered tons of questions I believe in a record breaking time  

What is the future status of X1 and X5?

PS: I would appreciate if you could post or rather edit your signature with the contact number and email like our
fellow LL member LEAF Representative: Yair Shahar

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:05:40 pm by Saša D. Karić »

• Capture One
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »

Quote from: Saša D. Karić
David, first of all WELCOME to LL!!!

I had a chance to read about your background and I'm impressed!

You already answered tons of questions I believe in a record breaking time ;)

What is the future status of X1 and X5?

PS: I would appreciate if you could post or rather edit your signature with the contact number and email like our

Cheers

Thankyou! Nice to be here.

While you can definitely say scanner sales are lower than what they used to be three years ago, they have are certainly still consistent and sustainable.  Therefore as long as there is demand then there will be an X1 and X5.

We still have very many institutional customers (gallery, museum etc) and of course photographers wishing to digitise their existing film based libraries.

Quote from: Saša D. Karić

Cheers

Hmmm!  I will have to consider that a little.  As I will not necessarily be able to respond in a timely manner due to the day job.  ;-)  Hopefully you will appreciate this.

David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:41:06 pm by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

Saša D. Karić

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2008, 12:44:11 pm »

Thankyou! Nice to be here.

While you can definitely say scanner sales are lower than what they used to be three years ago, they have are certainly still consistent and sustainable.  Therefore as long as there is demand then there will be an X1 and X5.

We still have very many institutional customers (gallery, museum etc) and of course photographers wishing to digitise their existing film based libraries.

X1 and X5 are exactly what we had in mind for our University.

Hmmm!  I will have to consider that a litle.  As I will not necessarily be able to respond in a timely manner due to the day job.  ;-)  Hopefully you will appreciate this.

David

Take your time.... Of course, It's appreciated!!!

PeterA

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:24 pm »

Hi David,

Ok Please do - if I can make it I will be there.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Ill let you know when the event will be incase you feel like attending.  I believe it will be in the evening so you may have time to attend.  If lunchtime is free - you will be the first to know!

Cheers,

David
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up