Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: David Grover / Hasselblad A/s  (Read 31137 times)

PeterA

David Grover / Hasselblad A/s
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 01:16:45 am »

Welcome David,

a long time lurker here but long time user of Haselblad ..
Melbourne says glad you have joined in.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:17:10 am by PeterA »

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:36 am »

Hej again Dave,

Good to see that you have a healthy sense of humour and able to take as good [sic] as you give  

While we're on a wish-list of things for the next H3, let me add this:

1) Make it BLACK
2) Focal-plane shutter
3) Increased leaf shutter speeds.

Tack, Dave.

Hej do,

SRK.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:19:15 am by Sean Reginald Knight »

gss

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 01:38:32 am »

Hi David, welcome.  I have a couple of quick "easy" questions.

1) With regards to the V system, do you have plans to develop new backs for it, or do you consider it a dead end?

2) Are there any plans to develop a back which will work on a 205 FCC without cables, with FE lenses, and which will have greater than 16MP?

3) When do you plan to talk about your new 60MP back?  Most specifically, will it have any type of pixel binning?

4) Since the 60MP back will be almost full frame 645, with a viewfinder which could be full frame 645, will you allow us once again to put a film back on the camera?  If not, why?

I understand you may not be able to answer all of these, but Hasselblad did promise to detail their plans at Photokina, yet I didn't see much real meat.

AlexLF

• http://www.fineartphoto.ru
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 07:47:50 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Dear Forum,

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David Grover and I am working for Hasselblad A/S in Copenhagen.  I have been following this forum for quite sometime and decided it would be much more beneficial if I was able to participate formally and help to answer some of the Hasselblad technical based questions that come up from time to time.

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

Hello, David!

It's been some time too I read this forum and I personally appreciate your presence here!

As a 15 years amateur photographer I'm really considering H3DII-50 as an upgrade from large format. Especially after the price drop on the 39 MPx camera + back. I assume that the H3DII-50 will be just near 15% more expensive that 39 version (which is still much cheaper than P45+, at least here, in Moscow, Russia). But can you tell us the prices for 50 (camera + back + lens) ?

Another question - is it possible to use just 50 MPx back on Linhof cameras (like recently announced Linhof Techo)?

Thank you.
Alex

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 08:01:14 am »

Quote from: EPd
I would like to know what the exact mandate is that is given to you by Hasselblad and how you are supposed to deal with "difficult" questions. This kind of disclosure would help us all to correctly interpret possible fuzzy talk. And just to get everything clear in one thread I would like to invite Thierry, Yair, Steve and any other formal representatives here to tell us what freedom they have to answer in full earnest. (Possibly the "rules" that each have to stick to may be different from one company to another, defeating the "equality of arms" principle.)

EPd,

Just ask the questions you want, you'll know by the answers. I doubt there is a documented "mandate" - just look at the I'm Back thread by Steve, you'll realize he could not be prepared for every question.

I think we can all appreciate the steps by Hasselblad (better late than never), PhaseOne, Thierry and Yair (I don't know them, sorry, but they have been here quite a while) and view them for what they are: a friendlier, softer, kinder and gentler side.

Kind regards,
Derek

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 08:03:57 am »

hi EPd,

I would have answered without you asking, but since you do, here my position:

I refer to my very first presentation post, when I joined the LL forum, in december 2006, here:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....&hl=thsinar

Among others, I said following:

"You will therefore "see" me from now on, intervening or posting whenever I feel it necessary, or when specifically asked a question, under the user name "thsinar", although not officially appointed by and in the name or on behalf of Sinar AG, but as an individual and with the knowledge and agreement of my management".

I wish to repeat here that this is still the case: nobody at Sinar is asking me to do this. I guess that in the meantime more or less everybody at Sinar is aware of my presence on the forums, but am not even sure about it. I have been given no orders or limits, as per now, nor was I ever briefed or "called-in" for any of my post or answers. I was the same way never forbidden to speak about certain issues. Would it be so, I am not certain if I would continue to intervene here and elsewhere. I am motivated by the product and the passion of photography, thus doing this with fun "in my free-time". I can therefore only be grateful for the "liberty" given to me and for the trust coming from Sinar.

I guess my mandate is therefore very clear: I have NO mandate from Sinar or whatsoever.

This being said and clarified, it is obvious that I know myself where are my "limits": I am able to "censor" or control myself, and I have some very few but strict rules which I follow.

I won't for sure tell that Sinar is "crap", but I again refer to all of my past posts and words to check on the veracity and accuracy of my interventions and ask to be judged from this. I won't for sure speak about all and anything before checking my facts or trying to find the right response, nor will I ever disclose sensitive information (this being said, I do not have all sensitive information) or break a specific NDA (some here having contacted me via PM and having tried to find out more from me could easily confirm this).

The answer to the second question is therefore clear as well: I have the full freedom of my speech BUT with my own limits.

I hope this helps clarify, if it was not yet clear, and I guess everybody can understand this easily.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi David,

A welcome from me too. It is nice to see that there are some representatives now with direct links to MF(DB) manufacturers. Still, I have a bit of a problem with it too, since these representatives not only will give neutral information, but also try to defend and promote their employers/brands.

I would like to know what the exact mandate is that is given to you by Hasselblad and how you are supposed to deal with "difficult" questions. This kind of disclosure would help us all to correctly interpret possible fuzzy talk. And just to get everything clear in one thread I would like to invite Thierry, Yair, Steve and any other formal representatives here to tell us what freedom they have to answer in full earnest. (Possibly the "rules" that each have to stick to may be different from one company to another, defeating the "equality of arms" principle.)

For those who now wonder about me: I am not committed to any company and I only represent myself and my personal opinion here. I am not bound to any non-disclosure agreements for the subjects I talk about here. My point of view is that of a photographer who earns his income with his imaging works.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:23:47 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 08:23:21 am »

Dear Forum,

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David Grover and I am working for Hasselblad A/S in Copenhagen.  I have been following this forum for quite sometime and decided it would be much more beneficial if I was able to participate formally and help to answer some of the Hasselblad technical based questions that come up from time to time.

My position is a technical one involved with our digital backs (CF and CFV range) and our digital cameras (H3D range), and of course our Raw developing software, Phocus.

I spend a lot of my time traveling (I am sure Thierry, Steve and Yair can sympathise!) so if my presence on the forum is not immediate on answering questions then this is why.  However I will do my best to step in when I can.

Perhaps, as a first post I would like to dispell one of the common myths around right now.

First Myth - "The H Cameras were / are made in Japan..."

Fuji had absolutely no involvement with the development of the H camera itself and actually joined the project two years after it started.  They are of course a valued and extremely important partner for us, but their involvement stretches to the optical construction and some design of the lenses, the film cassettes and the optical construction of the viewfinder.

Lens design is very much a partnership between the two companies and we have our own designer, Per, based at the factory in Göteborg.

The optical design of the viewfinder also comes from Sweden.

The Lens shutter is also designed and manufactured in Sweden and holds a number of patents.

The production of H cameras has always been in Göteborg on a dedicated production line.  The software in the H camera is 100% from Hasselblad.

The Fuji GX645 (A black Japan only version of the H1) was also made by Hasselblad and shipped to Japan.

Ill keep my first post relatively short and look forward to some productive discussions in the future!

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

Welcome.  I am past 205FCC user and now also use H3D39, among other system/back, my question will be if there will be any solution to put FE lenses on H body?

O.Ricter

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 08:26:56 am »

Quote from: AlexLF
Hello, David!

It's been some time too I read this forum and I personally appreciate your presence here!

As a 15 years amateur photographer I'm really considering H3DII-50 as an upgrade from large format. Especially after the price drop on the 39 MPx camera + back. I assume that the H3DII-50 will be just near 15% more expensive that 39 version (which is still much cheaper than P45+, at least here, in Moscow, Russia). But can you tell us the prices for 50 (camera + back + lens) ?

Another question - is it possible to use just 50 MPx back on Linhof cameras (like recently announced Linhof Techo)?

Thank you.
Alex

The price on H3D-II 50 is 17,995 EUR (including body, WF and back). Hasselblad HC/HCD lenses cost between 1,650 EUR and 4,995 EUR.
Yes, you can use the 50 MPx back on Linhof camera - no problem!

Best regards,

O.R.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 08:29:54 am »

Quote from: PeterA
Welcome David,

a long time lurker here but long time user of Haselblad ..
Melbourne says glad you have joined in.

Pete

Hi Peter,

I hope you will join us at our Australian Roadshow in November.  I think I should be in Melbourne on the 13th.. will have to double check though on date and venue!

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

hobbsr

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 08:35:11 am »

Hi David,

let me add my warm welcome, also let me know when you are in town so we can have a coffee!

Look forward to your participation online.

Regards

Rodney

• Capture One
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:01 am »

Quote from: Sean Reginald Knight
Hej again Dave,

Good to see that you have a healthy sense of humour and able to take as good [sic] as you give  

While we're on a wish-list of things for the next H3, let me add this:

1) Make it BLACK
2) Focal-plane shutter
3) Increased leaf shutter speeds.

Tack, Dave.

Hej do,

SRK.

1)  There is no black paint in Sweden.  This is the issue.  ;-)

2)  Is the reason you would like this purely for shutter speeds?  Any other reason?  Out of interest are you aware of how uneven the light illumination can be across a medium format focal plane shutter?  I have some images to show this - just need to find them!

3)  Actually not as easy as we might think.  Going from 1/800s to 1/1000s is actually quite a big jump due to the speed the blades are traveling.  Also the resonant frequency of this blade speed becomes an issue as well.   Actually based on the ISO standard of a +/- 0.4EV exposure error we are actually extremely close to this speed.  However as we have designed our shutter with a less than +/- 0.3 (nearer to +/- 0.2EV) exposure error then it would not be fair to move the goal posts for the 1/1000s speed.

Power is not an issue as the shutter draws no current in the open or closed position.  It is a brilliant design for those geeks who are interested.

David
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2008, 08:43:35 am »

Quote from: gss
Hi David, welcome.  I have a couple of quick "easy" questions.

1) With regards to the V system, do you have plans to develop new backs for it, or do you consider it a dead end?

2) Are there any plans to develop a back which will work on a 205 FCC without cables, with FE lenses, and which will have greater than 16MP?

3) When do you plan to talk about your new 60MP back?  Most specifically, will it have any type of pixel binning?

4) Since the 60MP back will be almost full frame 645, with a viewfinder which could be full frame 645, will you allow us once again to put a film back on the camera?  If not, why?

I understand you may not be able to answer all of these, but Hasselblad did promise to detail their plans at Photokina, yet I didn't see much real meat.

Hi gss,

1)  The V system is still in production so of course still a viable business for us.  We still manufacture our CF range of digital backs which have always been compatible with the V system.  So if you want a 39MP for your V system, then we can supply it.

2)  I don't foresee this as a possibility due to the lack of enquiries for a product like this.  The majority of our sales are now H3D and increasing, so I think for any business this is where the R&D will go.

3)  We are putting details together right now regarding the 60MP.  Ill post some this week when it is more complete!

4)  I will check!
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2008, 08:48:12 am »

Hi David,

A welcome from me too. It is nice to see that there are some representatives now with direct links to MF(DB) manufacturers. Still, I have a bit of a problem with it too, since these representatives not only will give neutral information, but also try to defend and promote their employers/brands.

For those who now wonder about me: I am not committed to any company and I only represent myself and my personal opinion here. I am not bound to any non-disclosure agreements for the subjects I talk about here. My point of view is that of a photographer who earns his income with his imaging works.

Hi Epd,

I will of course try and defend my brand but I have no desire to 'go after' the competition.  We all make good products in our own right.  What I want to achieve is that people have the right information.

A mandate I don't have.  I asked if I could join and nobody had an issue so here I am.  Simple as that.  Personally I would prefer not to get involved in pricing as I am not up to speed on this in general, plus I am not in sales so not aware of current promotions from our various dealers around the world.  Here I could easily give out the wrong information.  I hope that makes sense.  If there are pricing enquiries then we can easily find you a dealer.

David
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:58:14 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

gwhitf

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 08:53:42 am »

2)  I don't foresee this as a possibility due to the lack of enquiries for a product like this.  The majority of our sales are now H3D and increasing, so I think for any business this is where the R&D will go.

Mr Grover,

Why does there seem to be such a gap in suitability for digital backs, between the 500 series and 200 series? If the V series can be adapted, what is the hurdle to also equipping the 200 series as well? With a light meter built in and a focal plane shutter, the 203 and 205 were the finest cameras ever made. I'm not lubing you up; I'm simply speaking the truth. What is the issue with the 200 series?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:54:19 am by gwhitf »

• Capture One
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:18 am »

Quote from: AlexLF
Hello, David!

Thank you.
Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your appreciation!

I am not sure of the local price in Russia so best to talk to one of our dealers.  You can see them on our Partner Locator...

http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad...ica/russia.aspx

Yes, you can use a 50MP on a Linhof.  As long as the Linhof has the ability to accept the H type interface then it will work.  It says in their literature that all current digital backs will work, so I assume yes.  But probably best to check with Linhof themselves.

David

David Grover

pprachun

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:30 am »

Powder coated steel, please!

I promise to pass on the request.

I miss my old 503 YELLOW Hassy; if we're going colors with my H3D-II39 -- I want, no I NEED yellow!  
Paul Prachun

• Capture One
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:08 am »

Quote from: Khun_K
Welcome.  I am past 205FCC user and now also use H3D39, among other system/back, my question will be if there will be any solution to put FE lenses on H body?

I am afraid this would require the H body to have a focal plane shutter, which it does not have.  It has an 'Auxiliary' shutter but this is not designed for exposure.

David

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:57 am »

Quote from: hobbsr
Hi David,

let me add my warm welcome, also let me know when you are in town so we can have a coffee!

Look forward to your participation online.

Regards

Rodney

Thanks Rodney.  Ill see you in a few weeks no doubt!

David
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:00:41 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:04 am »

Quote from: BrianSmith
You'll win a lot of friends around here the day you announce:

"Black is Back"

Until then you'll have to make do with http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/103426

Cheers,
Bernard

• Capture One
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:06 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Mr Grover,

Why does there seem to be such a gap in suitability for digital backs, between the 500 series and 200 series? If the V series can be adapted, what is the hurdle to also equipping the 200 series as well? With a light meter built in and a focal plane shutter, the 203 and 205 were the finest cameras ever made. I'm not lubing you up; I'm simply speaking the truth. What is the issue with the 200 series?

Thanks.

It is an issue of synchronizing the CCD with the focal plane shutter exposure.  Essentially the digital back does not know the correct time to flush the CCD.  The flash sync output is no good as it gives the first signal when the shutter curtain has fully passed over the image plane.  On higher shutter speeds the second curtain will be already traveling across the CCD.  Therefore you will end up with some image cut off... Like you would experience in using the wrong flash sync speed.

On our CFV back (16MP back) there is an additional release arm sensor (the small blade that pops out of the body on capture) which goes someway to give the right timing to the digital back.  Additionally we can then modify one of the electrical contacts on the 200 body to give more timing information to the CFV.  This will work just fine with all lenses at all speeds.  By making this modification though you will lose automatic sending of the ISO from the film back (should you use one) to the light meter.

Our CF back (22MP and 39MP) does not have the release arm sensor, therefore making synchronisation impossible.

We can modify 200 bodies in this way in Sweden.  However, you can say it is not a popular upgrade making redesigning the CF back not a commercial proposition.

Hopefully that makes sense and I have avoided the 'lubing up'.  ;-)

David

David Grover
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up