Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: David Grover / Hasselblad A/s  (Read 31140 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
David Grover / Hasselblad A/s
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:21 am »

Dear Forum,

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David Grover and I am working for Hasselblad A/S in Copenhagen.  I have been following this forum for quite sometime and decided it would be much more beneficial if I was able to participate formally and help to answer some of the Hasselblad technical based questions that come up from time to time.

My position is a technical one involved with our digital backs (CF and CFV range) and our digital cameras (H3D range), and of course our Raw developing software, Phocus.

I spend a lot of my time traveling (I am sure Thierry, Steve and Yair can sympathise!) so if my presence on the forum is not immediate on answering questions then this is why.  However I will do my best to step in when I can.

Perhaps, as a first post I would like to dispell one of the common myths around right now.

First Myth - "The H Cameras were / are made in Japan..."

Fuji had absolutely no involvement with the development of the H camera itself and actually joined the project two years after it started.  They are of course a valued and extremely important partner for us, but their involvement stretches to the optical construction and some design of the lenses, the film cassettes and the optical construction of the viewfinder.

Lens design is very much a partnership between the two companies and we have our own designer, Per, based at the factory in Göteborg.

The optical design of the viewfinder also comes from Sweden.

The Lens shutter is also designed and manufactured in Sweden and holds a number of patents.

The production of H cameras has always been in Göteborg on a dedicated production line.  The software in the H camera is 100% from Hasselblad.

The Fuji GX645 (A black Japan only version of the H1) was also made by Hasselblad and shipped to Japan.

Ill keep my first post relatively short and look forward to some productive discussions in the future!

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:10:15 pm by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Conner999

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:25:24 am »

Welcome aboard

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:04 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
The H Cameras were / are made in Japan...

The production of H cameras has always been in Göteborg on a dedicated production line.

Please clarify.  Are you saying the parts are made in Japan, then assembled in Göteborg?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:32:23 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

stewarthemley

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:25 am »

Welcome David. It's great to see an official presence. I'm sure you expect the ride to get a little bumpy at times but most of us are here to learn and share.

gwhitf

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:00:57 am »

David,

Can you describe in simple terms how Hasselblad addressed the "mirror slap" issue in the H1? How was it solved? Is it solved?

j.miller

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:02:42 am »

David,
    Welcome. It is nice to see your participation in this forum. I will look forward to your posts and contributions.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Dear Forum,

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David Grover and I am working for Hasselblad A/S in Copenhagen.  I have been following this forum for quite sometime and decided it would be much more beneficial if I was able to participate formally and help to answer some of the Hasselblad technical based questions that come up from time to time...

....Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:01:17 am by JEM_DTG »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:13:17 am »

Welcome, David!

-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

amsp

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:15:46 am »

Why oh why didn't Hassy make the camera black like Fuji? *sigh*

[attachment=8867:nrj1000_h600.jpg]

Dan Wells

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:24:34 am »

Welcome David - it is a wonderful resource that all of the major camera makers have semi-official presences here. I cannot imagine employees of Canon, Nikon, etc... showing up on a forum to help people with their products! We have Thierry from Sinar, Yair from Leaf, and have recently been joined by Steve from Phase One and David from Hasselblad. Thank you to the four of you for your efforts!

-Dan

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 10:26:30 am »

David,

Welcome. It is due time someone from Hasselblad joined this forum as well.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:27:26 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
David,

Can you describe in simple terms how Hasselblad addressed the "mirror slap" issue in the H1? How was it solved? Is it solved?

I am not David but this has been addressed a while ago.

Not sure whether this option is also available in the H1 (I think it is but since I use H2's I cannot say for sure). You can vary the time between lifting the mirror and the actual exposure. I have set it pretty high (150ms I believe) after this I have had a whole lot less problems with the mirror slap. It was in a firmware update a while ago.

It still isn't as smooth as my Digiflex but it is at a point where the term 'mirror slap from hell' is a thing from the past.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:32:47 am »

hi David,

a warm welcome here, and looking forward to learn from you.

Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

• Capture One
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:35:40 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Please clarify.  Are you saying the parts are made in Japan, then assembled in Göteborg?

Actually No!  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Fuji has no involvement with the body whatsoever.  Like any modern manufacturing company we source parts from a selection of suppliers.  I don't have any data to reflect if any of that is Japanese, but in todays global economy, who knows!  Our suppliers could be supplied by somebody else   .  In the case of the viewfinder, this is made in Japan, as stated earlier.  But the optical design is from Hasselblad, Sweden.

So, to clarify, the H body is made in Sweden, by Hasselblad.  Some parts 3rd party, but nothing related to Fuji.

Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 10:37:30 am »

Quote from: Dustbak

Not sure whether this option is also available in the H1 (I think it is but since I use H2's I cannot say for sure). You can vary the time between lifting the mirror and the actual exposure. I have set it pretty high (150ms I believe) after this I have had a whole lot less problems with the mirror slap. It was in a firmware update a while ago.

It still isn't as smooth as my Digiflex but it is at a point where the term 'mirror slap from hell' is a thing from the past.

Ray is 100% correct here.

Any owner can use this function (Its a custom function set in the camera menu) by updating to the latest firmware.

Owners of Imacon or Hasselblad products can do this via FlexColor or Phocus.

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S
David Grover

BJNY

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:03 am »

Actually No!  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Fuji has no involvement with the body whatsoever.  Like any modern manufacturing company we source parts from a selection of suppliers.  I don't have any data to reflect if any of that is Japanese, but in todays global economy, who knows!  Our suppliers could be supplied by somebody else   .  In the case of the viewfinder, this is made in Japan, as stated earlier.  But the optical design is from Hasselblad, Sweden.

So, to clarify, the H body is made in Sweden, by Hasselblad.  Some parts 3rd party, but nothing related to Fuji.

Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

Thanks, David, and Welcome!
It matters not to me where the body is made, just that your original post said both Japan & Sweden.
Guillermo

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:21 am »

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

David Grover

michael

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 10:57:15 am »

I'll add my welcome as well. It's very gratifying to now see representatives from all of the major medium format back and camera makers here.

I would also like to say that I stand corrected on the points which you've made about where and by whom H cameras and lenses are designed and made. My info was based on memory (faulty obviously) from when the H1 was introduced in New York and I attended the launch press event.

Michael

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 11:03:15 am »

Quote from: michael
I'll add my welcome as well. It's very gratifying to now see representatives from all of the major medium format back and camera makers here.

I would also like to say that I stand corrected on the points which you've made about where and by whom H cameras and lenses are designed and made. My info was based on memory (faulty obviously) from when the H1 was introduced in New York and I attended the launch press event.

Michael

No problem Michael!  Thanks for allowing the manufacturers a presence.
David Grover

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 11:14:07 am »

David, Welcome to this forum - glad you can participate. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Derek

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:25 am »

Quote from: Dustbak

The mirror slap on the H3DII is nearly silent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up