Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf LC11 Software  (Read 2399 times)

nicholask

• http://www.viewfinderdigitisation.com.au
Leaf LC11 Software
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:40 am »

I have been grappling with this issue for a while.  In simple terms, when I shoot a painting using my Aptus 22, and LC11, the capture preview in the software will generally look punchy and saturated.  I set my color look to ProPhoto RGB and then output the file as Adobe RGB 1998.

When I open the file for editing in Photoshop, it generally looks flat, desaturated, somewhat lacklustre.  It has to have a levels boost to get it to look like the LC11 preview.  Why is this?  Why am I not getting an accurate preview in LC11 of what the image looks like?  What color management is the LC software doing, if any!!?  It is certainly not neutral.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

yaya

Leaf LC11 Software
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:47:55 am »

Quote from: nicholask
I have been grappling with this issue for a while.  In simple terms, when I shoot a painting using my Aptus 22, and LC11, the capture preview in the software will generally look punchy and saturated.  I set my color look to ProPhoto RGB and then output the file as Adobe RGB 1998.

When I open the file for editing in Photoshop, it generally looks flat, desaturated, somewhat lacklustre.  It has to have a levels boost to get it to look like the LC11 preview.  Why is this?  Why am I not getting an accurate preview in LC11 of what the image looks like?  What color management is the LC software doing, if any!!?  It is certainly not neutral.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Hello Nick,

This is how I would normally set Photoshop's colour settings so that it retains the look of images coming as RGB (Adobe 1998) from LeafCapture.

Make sure that the Photoshop uses Apple's colorsync engine and that the rendering intent is set to perceptual - this is what Leaf Capture uses.

Please let us know if this has cured the problem

thanks

Yair

tho_mas

Leaf LC11 Software
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:19:32 am »

I set my color look to ProPhoto RGB and then output the file as Adobe RGB 1998.
What does that mean? Sounds strange...
Definitely seems to be a color management problem. ProPhotoRGB sent without color management to the display.... looks always desaturated.

Quote from: yaya
This is how I would normally set Photoshop's colour settings so that it retains the look of images coming as RGB (Adobe 1998) from LeafCapture.
Make sure that the Photoshop uses Apple's colorsync engine and that the rendering intent is set to perceptual - this is what Leaf Capture uses.
Actually I wonder about the PS settings of RAW softwares (same with Capture One).
Why not preserve embedded profiles?
Dither: may add noise
RI: whether you set perceptual or relative colormetric does not make any difference for TRC matrix profiles (AdobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhotoRGB ...) as matrix profiles have no Look Up Table for perceptual RI. A profile conversion to a matrix based profile is always relative colormetric.
The setting comes into play when you convert to LUT profiles (CMYK/printer).

Beside the question of the profiles basically I'd recommend to set the color preferences like this (preserve embedded profiles):
[attachment=8885:ps_colprefs.jpg]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:31:34 am by tho_mas »

nicholask

Leaf LC11 Software
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:31:25 am »

thank you both for your replies, but unfortunately the issue still persists!

I will describe my working method.  I am using LC11 on a MacBook Pro hooked up to an Eizo CG 210.  If I view an image in LC on the MacBook, and the same image opened to PS on the Eizo, no problem, they display the same.  However, if I drag the LC software window across to the Eizo, the color of the target image shifts and displays different to the PS image.

I have attached a screen grab of the Eizo to show you what I mean.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

yaya

Leaf LC11 Software
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:55 am »

This is fairly simple,

Photoshop uses the two monitor profiles that are set on your system

Leaf Capture uses only 1 profile which by default is the one set for the main screen i.e. your laptop.

So basically you are looking at images who are rendered in Leaf Capture under your laptop's profile, on your Eizo.

The easy way around this is to set the Eizo to be the main screen (makes sense as it is far batter for reproduction than the laptop's screen): Go into the system preferences>Displays>arrangement and drag the menu bar across from one screen to the other. You have to re-launch Leaf Capture for it to read the new profile.

Please let us know if this has cured the problem. Note that if you then set Leaf Capture on the Laptop, the colours will be off.

EDIT: I've just noticed that in your screengrab the image in LC is a tiff file. You need to look at a raw file if you want it rendered properly.

thanks

Yair

thank you both for your replies, but unfortunately the issue still persists!

I will describe my working method.  I am using LC11 on a MacBook Pro hooked up to an Eizo CG 210.  If I view an image in LC on the MacBook, and the same image opened to PS on the Eizo, no problem, they display the same.  However, if I drag the LC software window across to the Eizo, the color of the target image shifts and displays different to the PS image.

I have attached a screen grab of the Eizo to show you what I mean.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:00:21 am by yaya »

nicholask

Leaf LC11 Software
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:38 pm »

The easy way around this is to set the Eizo to be the main screen (makes sense as it is far batter for reproduction than the laptop's screen): Go into the system preferences>Displays>arrangement and drag the menu bar across from one screen to the other. You have to re-launch Leaf Capture for it to read the new profile.

Please let us know if this has cured the problem. Note that if you then set Leaf Capture on the Laptop, the colours will be off.

thanks

Yair
[/quote]

Hi Yair,
thanks for your help, and the advice.  I did as you suggested and this has fixed the issues I was having.  I really appreciate your herlp on this one!

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up