Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissovling RAWS before your eyes  (Read 5228 times)

cjogo

Dissovling RAWS before your eyes
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »

Sometimes it will dissolve the complete image --seems to happens about every 100th Raw --while in Adobe  Bridge >> when I click on the image..... .it just starts.  If I click to the next image, fast enough, I can save a portion of the dissolving one ???  Any clues ??

thanks

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:15:47 am »

The problem is not likely ACR--it's much more likely to be a defective card corrupting the image either when it is being saved in-camera or being read off the card. Try a different card. If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different card reader. Do disk diagnostics on your hard drives and memory cards to check for bad sectors or other problems.

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:54:44 pm »

Never thought of the card reader --just have the one built in to the PC   ---will do a scan disk on the card though -thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:09:37 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:03 pm »

Lost another today --lucky I  had a second image very close ---this time it just placed a Neutral Density filter of about 8X over the half the image ??

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:22 pm »

Quote from: cjogo
Sometimes it will dissolve the complete image --seems to happens about every 100th Raw --while in Adobe  Bridge >> when I click on the image..... .it just starts.  If I click to the next image, fast enough, I can save a portion of the dissolving one ???  Any clues ??

The odds are REAL GOOD that what you have are actually corrupt raw files that have been corrupted either in-camera (possible but not likely), the CF card (also possible) or in the copy process to the local HD (most likely). It's also "possible" that you HD is going bad...

The fact you are seeing the image "dissolve", is that until Camera Raw actually tries to read the raw data from the file, what you are seeing is the embedded EXIF JPEG in the file. The fact that the image show "ok" then gets bad is an indication that the raw data is indeed corrupted.

Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop treat raw files (by that I mean non-DNG converted raws) as READ ONLY files. So, all Camera Raw can do is READ the file...and if the data is corrupted, what you posted is what you'll end up seeing.

So, you really should troubleshoot this and find out what is wrong, the camera, the card, the card reader or the HD because it won't just go away by itself :~(

cjogo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:42 pm »

Will purchase new cards this week --the card reader is built into the PC --the Canon 20d ...I will wait until next Spring for a 5d MKII --I had 2 new 500gb HD's placed in here in AUgust ...hopefully they are bad yet.  A little difficult to to trouble shoot ----but better do something before the ratio starts to climb --like one every 10 --yikes ~!!   I did a scan disk on all the cards and always format them in the EOS

thanks kindly
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:50:17 pm by cjogo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up