Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take a moment and check your lens's before your next shoot  (Read 2336 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Take a moment and check your lens's before your next shoot
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:44:40 pm »

I had a 16-35mm F2.8L incident a couple of days ago that should have been avoidable - thankfully it was during personal work and not during a client's shoot.

I went to swap lens's - took off the 70-200 and went to screw on the 16-35mm - but it wouldn't attach - it was like something was stopping it.

I noticed upon close inspection that one of the tiny screws in the lens mount had worked sever so slightly loose and was preventing the lens being mounted. Thankfully I had a 24mm TSE lens with me and was able to get the shot I wanted. But lesson learned. I checked the rest of my lens's that night and found another where the screw had started to work loose - all fixed with a jewellers screwdriver in less than a minute.

Take a moment before you next leave for a shoot and just check your lens's - its a bugger to have it happen in the field - especially if you dont have the right tool with you to fix it [a jewellers screwdriver now lives in my camera bag!]
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Henry Goh

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:10:36 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
I had a 16-35mm F2.8L incident a couple of days ago that should have been avoidable - thankfully it was during personal work and not during a client's shoot.

I went to swap lens's - took off the 70-200 and went to screw on the 16-35mm - but it wouldn't attach - it was like something was stopping it.

I noticed upon close inspection that one of the tiny screws in the lens mount had worked sever so slightly loose and was preventing the lens being mounted. Thankfully I had a 24mm TSE lens with me and was able to get the shot I wanted. But lesson learned. I checked the rest of my lens's that night and found another where the screw had started to work loose - all fixed with a jewellers screwdriver in less than a minute.

Take a moment before you next leave for a shoot and just check your lens's - its a bugger to have it happen in the field - especially if you dont have the right tool with you to fix it [a jewellers screwdriver now lives in my camera bag!]

Good reminder Josh.  Thanks.

Jonathan H

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:00:14 am »

Happened to me once too.  Couldn't figure out what was wrong for the life of me... took 10 minutes of head scratching and close analysis to see the screw had loosened.

The funniest part - it was on a jewelry shoot at a jeweler's office.  Just reached over the counter, grabbed a tiny driver, and I was back in business in 20 seconds.
Long walks on the beach, nights by the f

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:29:31 pm »

I've carried a small set of jeweller's screwdrivers in my bag for years...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,43417&ap=2

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up