Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affordable wide angle set-up  (Read 10829 times)

Plekto

Affordable wide angle set-up
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:22 pm »

Digital Rebel XSi Specs:

1lb without battery - body only.
5.1 x 3.9 x 2.4 in
Battery back 1.5 oz.
18-55 zoom lens 6.7 oz.
24.2 Ounces.(just a smidge over 1.5lbs ready to shoot)  18-55mm basic zoom lens.(28-88 35mm equivalent)  this comes with it in the typical kit and is a fine lens.  Plus it has image stabilization and good optics.  

Yes, the Olympus E420 and a few other cameras weigh less, but the lenses are heavier, so it's a wash.  I like the Canon as you hardly notice the lens at all - it's almost like a pancake 50mm lens on an old AE-1.  Hardly there at less than 7 ounces.

It's a very light and small camera for its type. Not a 3-4lb monster setup like older digital SLRs used to be.

Canon S5 IS camera.(prosumer/larger pocket camera)
15.9 oz.
4.60 x 3.15 x 3.06 in

This of course includes the lens, but as you can see, the Rebel is a very light package.  Since she'll need a tripod to take decent composed shots(to get the shots level and the angles perpendicular if nothing else), weight isn't a big deal, IMO, as the average tripod weighs at least 1-2lbs by itself.  The body on the Canon is also much better sealed versus dust and gunk than a typical pocket camera.  

$650 including the lens.  Not a bad deal, IMO.  And since that lens is the normal "kit" lens, just take her to any camera store and try it out(them buy online of course to save money).

stever

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 05:58:53 pm »

i have the sigma 12-24, canon 10-22, and tokina 11-16

the sigma is extraordanary on a full frame camera (particularly if you get a good copy), the 10-22 is awfully soft outside the center making it almost unusable to me for architectural shots - have just started using the tokina and am quite impressed with price/iq/build quality - and it's available for a variety of cameras

i wouldn't be particularly concerned with weather sealing unless you really plan to abuse the camera

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 02:31:02 am »

I would guess that the Canon G10 would be more than sufficient for your sister. It's fairly purse-friendly, has a 28mm equiv lens, and is super easy to use with supposedly a much improved screen. Probably much easier for her to use, too.

Plekto

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 03:11:39 pm »

I wonder why the aversion to a small SLR.  She's going to need good optics and at the least, a tripod to do this work well enough to look professional.

The thing is, the tripod itself will weigh far more than the camera and lens.  The idea that she can walk around, pull it out of her pocket, and shoot on the go is just wrong and won't happen.  these need to be composed and that means she needs:

1 - A tripod.  3-5lbs right here for anything stable enough, given the less than perfect floors if it's in the process of being built.

2 - A flash or some sort of fill light for poorly lit shots.  Or the ability to bracket in a pinch. A couple of extra pounds here as well.

3 - More than one lens or at least a reasonable compact zoom that's clean throughout its range (uncommon on pocket cameras)

4 - A decent light meter/sensor.   And something that can do high ISOs as well.  Compact cameras tend to do less well here for obvious design reasons.

An off-angle poorly lit and slightly blurry photo of an interior is not something I'd be happy with as a client.  Not if I'm paying money for it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:14:39 pm by Plekto »

tetsuo77

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 11:52:20 am »

Quote from: Plekto
I wonder why the aversion to a small SLR.  She's going to need good optics and at the least, a tripod to do this work well enough to look professional.

The thing is, the tripod itself will weigh far more than the camera and lens.  The idea that she can walk around, pull it out of her pocket, and shoot on the go is just wrong and won't happen.  these need to be composed and that means she needs:

1 - A tripod.  3-5lbs right here for anything stable enough, given the less than perfect floors if it's in the process of being built.

2 - A flash or some sort of fill light for poorly lit shots.  Or the ability to bracket in a pinch. A couple of extra pounds here as well.

3 - More than one lens or at least a reasonable compact zoom that's clean throughout its range (uncommon on pocket cameras)

4 - A decent light meter/sensor.   And something that can do high ISOs as well.  Compact cameras tend to do less well here for obvious design reasons.

An off-angle poorly lit and slightly blurry photo of an interior is not something I'd be happy with as a client.  Not if I'm paying money for it.

But she is NOT  photographer. She is an interior designer/arranger. Which makes a difference [quite a big difference]. Do you pay for the catalogues of a car, or for the car itself?

Plekto

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 03:28:24 pm »

But the catalog often does help sell the car.  

I just don't think this sort of work is going to work that well with a pocket sized digital camera, since bracketing is so critical for this sort of work(less of a factor using good film, though) due to the wide dynamic ranges involved.  That's why the tripod is required - to get accurate alignment between the two exposures.  And even a budget $30 tripod is still going to weigh at least 2-3 times what a pocket camera does.(1-2lbs)   Add in a flash to do fills and even a very small gear bag with a spare battery and cleaning equipment and other accessories, and you're close to 3-5lbs of gear without the camera.

Weight isn't that big of a deal for this sort of work.   I used to do similar work years ago with a all metal 35mm camera and a 8lb tripod.  The total rig with the flash, auto winder, battery pack, light meter, film, accessories and lenses, and tripod(most of the weight) was almost 15lbs.

3-4lbs is nothing - my ex's purse is heavier than that.

Have her pick up the lighter weight Canon DSLRs in a camera shop.  they're almost toy light.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:31:49 pm by Plekto »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up