Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Posterization in Epson 3800 with RR PremGlossPlus  (Read 2081 times)

Harrzack

Posterization in Epson 3800 with RR PremGlossPlus
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »

(This was posted in DPreview Print forum also - need help!)

I'm starting to do some note-cards with the 3800 and using Red River PG+ paper. This is under OS X 10.4.11. I've printed quite a few images with other paper over the past several months with this printer and all has been fine.

On an image which is a close view of a milkweed pod (warm colors) and out-focus foliage in the background (greens, shadows and white highlights) the shadow/background areas are very grainy and the edges have the posterization look. The prints have an overall flat look.

I'm resizing the images (from D80 RAW) in LR, using the crop tool ® to take the images to 5 x 7 for the cards. Could some errors becoming from this? Again - nothing bad seen on the monitor.

On-screen softproofing in PSCS3 shows none of this, and I've tried printing with RR's profile for this as well as the Epson Premium Glossy Photo profile. Both prints look the same so it isn't these profiles... The image in PS and LR on the LCD look about the same. The monitor IS profiled.

The image was initially processed in Lightroom 2.1 and printed from there as well as PSCS3. I've done a little profiling in the past and this has the look of a bad or wrong profile. Color management is turned off for the printer.

Don't know if this is related, but had to initiate the print process several times from LR before anything went to the printer. The first time I hit print - LR goes through the motions but nothing is sent to the printer. Then when I do another print, it kicks off.

Could the profile info be getting lost or something?

Any clues or ideas greatly appreciated!

=Alan R.

Harrzack

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:44:42 am »

Here is a link to a sample of the problem print and the original NEF file:

http://tsu.sargasso-sea.net/tmp/NegShadow.jpg

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:58 am »

When you have a reversal in an edge of a graduation we call it contouring. IT can be the color maps for the driver, or simply the profile has a weak or broken node in it when it was created due to a sub par linearisation.

I would suggest to look around to see if someone can lend you a custom profile, or better yet have one made for your printer.

The only thing that looks out of whack is it is not just the contours but large reversals in flat areas.

Did you increase the density of the inking in the driver?

Are all the nozzles firing correctly?

Does the 3800 do this on other similar papers with other profiles?

Harrzack

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:40:23 am »

Thanks Neil -

For the most part the 3800 has been doing fine. This has just started, and seems mainly on a few images, which have similar shadow/color patterns.
The profile was supplied by Red River - may not be optimum but SHOULD work.

I just ran a test with a totally dif paper, dif profile - same look!  Think I may have a head that is not firing!  This printer sets idle a lot - sure hope I haven't got a big clog. I'm going to do some head checks now.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:24 am »

Okay, just know that with Epson you should not run consecutive Power Cleans (normal cleans are okay).

It may be the cartridges are in fact empty, even though they are showing a little left. This happens on HP occasionally when they are not in use for long periods.

Harrzack

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:10:23 am »

Neil -

Ran an "Auto" cycle with the Nozzle check utility. Is that a "Power Clean"?  
It was a stuck head! After the auto cycle ran it printed out a test pattern. One in the upper left was blank - that set of 4 was was followed by two rows of 4 with all patterns printing. Was the first row the "before" and the second two the "after"?

By the way - there were two carts (LK, LLK) that were VERY low but showing something in the status monitor. I replaced them, but the prob continued.

In any case - problem solved - lotta paper/ink blown thru ignorance - HARD LESSON LEARNED!  I've also decided that the particular image sux, but I guess there is no print-cycle to "make-this-sucky-image-good" is there?        

Thanks for your help - I'm on my way!

=Alan R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up