Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Bye Coney Island Astroland  (Read 3906 times)

joergen geerds

• http://joergengeerds.com
Good Bye Coney Island Astroland
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:22 pm »

For those outside of NYC, New York had a huge, corny amusement park at the beach, with it's own subway station. The owners sold it in 2006 to a developer, and it is not clear what they will do with it, other that it will cease to exist. It shut down officially on September 7, 2008. I did a homage to the park in my very own panoramic style, I hope you enjoy it:

newyorkpanorama.com/2008/09/12/good-bye-coney-island-astroland/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:46:42 pm by joergen geerds »

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

Quote from: joergen geerds
For those outside of NYC, New York had a huge, corny amusement park at the beach, with it's own subway station. The owners sold it in 2006 to a developer, and it is not clear what they will do with it, other that it will cease to exist. It shut down officially on September 7, 2008. I did a homage to the park in my very own panoramic style, I hope you enjoy it:

That just goes to show how different people are: I could never abide fairgrounds as a child and even less as an adult. I´m not exactly sure why that is so, but I have figured that it has something to do with a dislike for the loud, the brash and the vulgar in people. It is part of the same thing that kept me out of British and Irish pubs when I lived in that land and still manages to insulate me now from the expat versions that spring up like minor nightmares in Spain.

I do enjoy Spanish bars, though, because the ethos is something entirely else. At least, in the few I frequent. Perhaps this might be because there is no sense of a violent undertone - either that or I´m too dumb to feel it when I see it. But it works for me.

Maybe there will be no development in Coney Island for a while - where´s the money going to come from?

Rob C

joergen geerds

• http://joergengeerds.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »

I am in the process of picking panoramas of the Coney Island series to go into my limited editions section.
Do you have any favorites, or any opinion which ones are not as strong?

viahorizon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:02:10 am »

I like most of photos included in Good Bye Coney Island Astroland and I like the whole.

Maybe slightly off-topic: would you share your technical details? Head, lens, technique... it's pretty dark and the files are rather big.
gallery@viahorizon

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:13 am »

I'm sure there will be many fine photos taken of the park now.  That being said I couldn't care less that it's closed, parks like that never appealed to me whatsoever.  Obviously it's time was over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up