Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ67ProII strange behaviour  (Read 5987 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
RZ67ProII strange behaviour
« on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:50 am »

Maybe someone here can help.

I use the RZ67ProII with a leaf aptus 22 digital back.
When I measure the RZ is always a bit lower than the same aptus back on the 645AFD/III although this is not a problem in most cases it's maybe the start of this problem.
Think about 2/3 stop less than the 645AFD/III and yes that's without the bellows

Lately I notice that when I take a serie of shots the exposure varies, most of the time very slightly but sometimes it varies 2-3 stops.

So I decided to do a test.

When I shoot with the 110mm f2.8 it appears in a serie of 10-20 exposures that most are equal but sometimes there is a slight variation of 2/10-3/10, in other words the histogram slightly moves.
But sometimes there are one or two frames that go REALLY dark, think full stops.

to make 100% sure I mounted the leaf on the 645AFD/III and did a similair test.
Everything worked out fine and I only needed to go from f11 to f16 on the 645AFD/III (this was with bellows so a stop could very well be normal).

Secondly I did the same test with the 180mm and now the histogram did not move an inch over 10-20 shots.

Back to the 110mm f2.8 and the whole series stays correct.
It's driving me nuts because I can't pin point if it's the lens 100% sure or something else.

I checked the emergency setting and that is correct (otherwise it could be that sometimes the sync speed is too high, but even on 1/60 the problem is there, I checked on 2 seconds and the shutter stays open for 2 seconds so that rules out a problem there).

My gut feeling tells me it's the 110mm f2.8 but on the other hand what could it be in the lens, any other insights ?

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:10:33 pm »

Hi Frank

What you are experiencing with your 110mm sounds like exactly the same problem I had with my 90mm and 127mm lenses. The problem I was told is dirty magnets inside the shutter which is why it is not working properly and the reason for the extremely under exposed images is that the shutter is firing at 400th of a second and probably not at the 60th or 125th you were probably shooting with.

I would recommend you get your 110mm serviced.

Hope that helps,

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:02 pm »

thanks, now to find out were we can do that in the Netherlands

I already mailed KEH, I bought the lens app 3 months ago so maybe they can do something for me.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:12:06 am »

Frank,

It does sound like your 110mm lens needs to be serviced.  It sounds like the shutter isn't consistently giving you the correct shutter speed.
The odd thing is that with digital you will notice it, but in the film days you probably would not have.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:51 pm »

I will contact mamiya NL, KEH told me that the 60day warranty was over.
So I will to be sure send them all in to be serviced.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:17 am »

Frank,
You shooting with studio strobes, right?
So, what difference does  a shutter speed make?
I do not believe in the theory of faulty shooter.
Maine reason is that I observe the same behavior with my Rz and A75s regardless of lens being use. I wrote about that few months ago on LL.
My A75s will occasionally even get stuck about 2 stops below and the only way to correct it is to change ISO twice back and forth.
In general my Rz67/A75s combo (without extended bellows) is 1.3 stops below the same back with H1.  Go figure.
On the bright site think about that you are shooting with one of the greatest lenses ever made for people photography that cost you just $300.
If you still not happy than borrow HC lens to compare the quality and some misbehavior of your 110mm will be easier to swallow.
Andre

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »

Problem I have is that if it can be fixed I will let it be fixed.
I can't afford shots in a serie to be underexposed by 2 stops, what if the client wants that shot ?
I use alot of deep shadows and pulling up 2 stops is not a nice sight even on ISO50
It happens on all shutter speeds by the way, als on 1/20 or 1/60.

It annoys the heck out of me, I want a system that works 100% perfect, I know about the bellows that's not a problem you can calculate that and know it's there.
It's much more annoying when you shoot in burst a serie of 30-40 shots and 10 are 2 stops down, 5 are 1 stop down and the rest is ok.
That's not acceptable for me.
Especially when with the other lenses it's working great.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »

Again my question is: what does a faulty shutter has to do with images being underexposed by two stops when you are using strobes?
I can set the shooter at 1/30 or 1/400 and the exposure difference is marginal. Am I missing something?
Anyways please,
Let me know after you fix it if it worked as it bothers me as well.
Andre

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »

Hello Andre,

The problem Frank seems to be having is on occasion his 110mm lens is firing at 400th sec because of the contacts in the shutter been dirty.

I had the same problem some months ago.

As I use Bowen flash if I firer at 60th or 125th I get the same exposure but if I firer any of my lens at 400th of a sec with the same light output the exposure is down by a stop or more due to the slow flash speed of my flash at full power.

As I don't use Elinchrom like Frank I can speak for his system.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

RSPhoto

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45:04 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Problem I have is that if it can be fixed I will let it be fixed.
I can't afford shots in a serie to be underexposed by 2 stops, what if the client wants that shot ?
I use alot of deep shadows and pulling up 2 stops is not a nice sight even on ISO50
It happens on all shutter speeds by the way, als on 1/20 or 1/60.

It annoys the heck out of me, I want a system that works 100% perfect, I know about the bellows that's not a problem you can calculate that and know it's there.
It's much more annoying when you shoot in burst a serie of 30-40 shots and 10 are 2 stops down, 5 are 1 stop down and the rest is ok.
That's not acceptable for me.
Especially when with the other lenses it's working great.

I had the same exact problem with my Mamiya RZ Pro IID and the Aptus 22. I had sent the camera and back to Mamiya and Leaf several times and they could not fix the problem.
I had also posted the problem on Leafs board but never got an answer. The back  worked fine on my AFD II.

I ended up selling everything and went back to the 1DS III. No problems with that camera.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 06:28:18 am »

The problem with the 1dsIII is that it's not a MF system, let alone the quality of the RZ 67ProII.
You could also sell everything for the G9, added advantage no more swapping those lenses

RSPhoto

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:33 am »

The problem with the 1dsIII is that it's not a MF system, let alone the quality of the RZ 67ProII.
You could also sell everything for the G9, added advantage no more swapping those lenses

Don't get me wrong, I miss the look of the RZ lenses and loved the quality of the Aptus. But after after a $ 40.000 expense
I spent more time trying to figure out how to fix the problems and the whole system was more in the way than productive.

I'll get back to MF when I find a system that really works with me not against me.

RS

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:12:21 am »

I'm now in Miami shooting ALOT with the 645AFD/III and the Leaf Aptus, didn't miss a shot, but did have ALOT of benifit of the higher dynamic range.
I have to shoot during the whole day (holiday ) so the dynamics within a scene can be cruel, as always I also shot some scenes with both cameras and the Leaf captures alot more highlight information.

But you are right the DSLR is more easy.

However to say that a MF is working against the photographer goes too far, the problem I'm having is in ONE lens and ONE lens only.
If I would have a faulty Canon lens I could also not blame the whole system

shelby_lewis

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 12:44:46 am »

and lord knows (as a canon shooter myself)... Canon has it's share of faulty lenses!  

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:32 am »

I'm now in Miami shooting ALOT with the 645AFD/III and the Leaf Aptus, didn't miss a shot, but did have ALOT of benifit of the higher dynamic range.
I have to shoot during the whole day (holiday ) so the dynamics within a scene can be cruel, as always I also shot some scenes with both cameras and the Leaf captures alot more highlight information.

But you are right the DSLR is more easy.

However to say that a MF is working against the photographer goes too far, the problem I'm having is in ONE lens and ONE lens only.

I think there is something that should be made clear about shooting medium format vs. a Canon or any other system.

One lens, or even one series of lenses that don't perform perfectly does not make any system less than worthwhile but something that keeps being discussed on all the forums really should be answered. Can medium format become less complicated?

As I write this,  early tomorrow we begin an important project that has more production money than I should mention in public but the crew on the first segment is over 20 people, so that gives you some idea of the costs and importance.

It is one of those campaigns that might not make a career but could break one if anything goes wrong.

As much as I want to use medium format and I am carrying two full sets of medium format equipment, I am almost positive by the end of the day I will shoot most of the project with a Canon 1ds Mark III.

Not because it has higher DR, or more pixels, or even more detail, not because I stick a camera or lighting logo on the photos, but because tethered or portable, low or high iso the Canons will allow me to do virtually anything I want in almost any circumstance and let me get the shot without having to give the camera a second thought.  In fact the Canon will almost be transparent once I start working.

Right now on these forums in regards to medium format we have participation from all 4 makes which I applaud.  We also have new pricing structures coming out hourly, which I also think is good for the photographer.  

We also just got through annoucakina which I found enormously disappointing.  Only one manufacturer, (Sinar) announced a camera with a detailed lcd, in camera processing and maybe a clean 800 iso.  

Everyone else added pixels, some moved the sensor size slightly larger, but none of them addressed software stability, mentioned large batch processing, higher iso, drastically easier workflow with preset film looks  and did so in a system that works as easily as the Canon dslr, regardless of price.

So I say to all 4 of the camera company representatives that have joined this forum think of your product in this way.

Write a $200,000 check and tape it to the wall, put twenty workers in the room, 3 art driectors, 2 clients and set an 18 hour a day schedule knowing you will be shooting with window light, mixed hmi and daylight, flash at night, low china lantern tungsten in the late evening, available daylight of people racing by on mopeds, portraits on black of each subject and you have to do it with your camera, knowing the web galleries and contact sheets have to be delivered in two days after the project.  

Will you bet that $200,000 (actually much more than that in production) that your medium format camera system will work as quickly, easily, reliably and consistently as the Canon.

Will your file go into almost any 3rd party software without additional steps. If you ship a processed tiff and a raw file to the retouching company, can they process the raw to add detail, or change exposure and use it for blending and can they process it in Photoshop?  Are your skintones in all these lighting circumstances beautiful out of the can or will it take dozens of software tweeks to hit the desired look and most importantly will your software do thousand of files from capture to process without crashing the computer and be compatible with the 4 computers and operating system most photographers use?

Is your lens offerings wide and diverse and available today for rent or purchase .  If something goes down in Los Angels, Paris, or Hong Kong can I rent or buy a new one in hours, or at least in a day?

But think about this for a moment.  Would you bet your own $200,000 that your current system will perform easily as a camera that costs 1/2 the price.

Would you show a client your lcd and say can you see the image, the detail the lighting?  Will you have confidence that at 2am in the morning when you set down to edit ad batch a thousand files will your software work easily and with stability?

At the end of the day no client will compare a Leaf, Phase, Hasselbad or Sinar file next to the 1ds3, the client(s) will only see the final capture and judge it by a lot of criteria, though none of this will have anything to do with camera brand loyalty.

I very much appreciate the db maker's participation and the answering of direct questions, but do us a favor (or at least me) and answer the main questions of does your system do all of the things I just mentioned?

At thse costs, I and many others have to perform flawlessly.  We have to have backups, stable software, easy to use cameras that don't hang up, glitch or burn through batteries.  We must have tethering that works with our current computers, iso sensitivity that works under a multitude of lighting conditions, a file that is compatible and a most importantly a file that we can move to any film look that was available in the past, plus a whole new range of looks that we haven't even invented yet.

I can keep adding to the list but it's time to get some sleep.

Big Cooter

yaya

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 03:41:43 am »

Quote from: bcooter
I think there is something that should be made clear about shooting medium format vs. a Canon or any other system.

One lens, or even one series of lenses that don't perform perfectly does not make any system less than worthwhile but something that keeps being discussed on all the forums really should be answered. Can medium format become less complicated?

As I write this,  early tomorrow we begin an important project that has more production money than I should mention in public but the crew on the first segment is over 20 people, so that gives you some idea of the costs and importance.

It is one of those campaigns that might not make a career but could break one if anything goes wrong.

As much as I want to use medium format and I am carrying two full sets of medium format equipment, I am almost positive by the end of the day I will shoot most of the project with a Canon 1ds Mark III.

Not because it has higher DR, or more pixels, or even more detail, not because I stick a camera or lighting logo on the photos, but because tethered or portable, low or high iso the Canons will allow me to do virtually anything I want in almost any circumstance and let me get the shot without having to give the camera a second thought.  In fact the Canon will almost be transparent once I start working.

Right now on these forums in regards to medium format we have participation from all 4 makes which I applaud.  We also have new pricing structures coming out hourly, which I also think is good for the photographer.  

We also just got through annoucakina which I found enormously disappointing.  Only one manufacturer, (Sinar) announced a camera with a detailed lcd, in camera processing and maybe a clean 800 iso.  

Everyone else added pixels, some moved the sensor size slightly larger, but none of them addressed software stability, mentioned large batch processing, higher iso, drastically easier workflow with preset film looks  and did so in a system that works as easily as the Canon dslr, regardless of price.

So I say to all 4 of the camera company representatives that have joined this forum think of your product in this way.

Write a $200,000 check and tape it to the wall, put twenty workers in the room, 3 art driectors, 2 clients and set an 18 hour a day schedule knowing you will be shooting with window light, mixed hmi and daylight, flash at night, low china lantern tungsten in the late evening, available daylight of people racing by on mopeds, portraits on black of each subject and you have to do it with your camera, knowing the web galleries and contact sheets have to be delivered in two days after the project.  

Will you bet that $200,000 (actually much more than that in production) that your medium format camera system will work as quickly, easily, reliably and consistently as the Canon.

Will your file go into almost any 3rd party software without additional steps. If you ship a processed tiff and a raw file to the retouching company, can they process the raw to add detail, or change exposure and use it for blending and can they process it in Photoshop?  Are your skintones in all these lighting circumstances beautiful out of the can or will it take dozens of software tweeks to hit the desired look and most importantly will your software do thousand of files from capture to process without crashing the computer and be compatible with the 4 computers and operating system most photographers use?

Is your lens offerings wide and diverse and available today for rent or purchase .  If something goes down in Los Angels, Paris, or Hong Kong can I rent or buy a new one in hours, or at least in a day?

But think about this for a moment.  Would you bet your own $200,000 that your current system will perform easily as a camera that costs 1/2 the price.

Would you show a client your lcd and say can you see the image, the detail the lighting?  Will you have confidence that at 2am in the morning when you set down to edit ad batch a thousand files will your software work easily and with stability?

At the end of the day no client will compare a Leaf, Phase, Hasselbad or Sinar file next to the 1ds3, the client(s) will only see the final capture and judge it by a lot of criteria, though none of this will have anything to do with camera brand loyalty.

I very much appreciate the db maker's participation and the answering of direct questions, but do us a favor (or at least me) and answer the main questions of does your system do all of the things I just mentioned?

At thse costs, I and many others have to perform flawlessly.  We have to have backups, stable software, easy to use cameras that don't hang up, glitch or burn through batteries.  We must have tethering that works with our current computers, iso sensitivity that works under a multitude of lighting conditions, a file that is compatible and a most importantly a file that we can move to any film look that was available in the past, plus a whole new range of looks that we haven't even invented yet.

I can keep adding to the list but it's time to get some sleep.

Big Cooter

Big, I think we have gone through most of your points above over the last few years. Many of them are valid, some were already answered and addressed and some are still being worked on by all the players in our industry, including some large and respectable software and hardware companies.
Some of your points, I believe, will stay as a low priority due to the different "nature" of MF cameras and the lower demand from the market compared to other typical requirements.

Specifically, I would like to ask what is your ONE "benchmark" system, if there is any (35mm or larger), that you would choose for tethering, shooting and processing large volumes of images on a big production project?. Which of the current software packages is the closest to what you need and which camera is giving you the best file along with all the points you have listed?

If the answer is "system X" then it makes it easier for us to set some benchmark tests and to see what can be done on our end to match it's performance.

If the answer is "camera A" with "software B" and "cable C" and "lens D" then it'll make life a bit more difficult for us and maybe it'll prove that there is no one package that suits your needs.

Thanks

Yair

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 04:59:33 am »

Well said, Yair. Not because I put myself on the manufacturer side, but because it is really years that we are hearing the same and because thinking that MFDB manufacturers do not listen or sit with crossed legs is just wrong. And as said, for some of the mentioned issues solutions have been given, for some others it is a question of priorities.

Thierry

Quote from: yaya
Big, I think we have gone through most of your points above over the last few years. Many of them are valid, some were already answered and addressed and some are still being worked on by all the players in our industry, including some large and respectable software and hardware companies.
Some of your points, I believe, will stay as a low priority due to the different "nature" of MF cameras and the lower demand from the market compared to other typical requirements.

Specifically, I would like to ask what is your ONE "benchmark" system, if there is any (35mm or larger), that you would choose for tethering, shooting and processing large volumes of images on a big production project?. Which of the current software packages is the closest to what you need and which camera is giving you the best file along with all the points you have listed?

If the answer is "system X" then it makes it easier for us to set some benchmark tests and to see what can be done on our end to match it's performance.

If the answer is "camera A" with "software B" and "cable C" and "lens D" then it'll make life a bit more difficult for us and maybe it'll prove that there is no one package that suits your needs.

Thanks

Yair
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Carsten W

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 06:22:33 am »

Quote from: thsinar
Well said, Yair. Not because I put myself on the manufacturer side, but because it is really years that we are hearing the same and because thinking that MFDB manufacturers do not listen or sit with crossed legs is just wrong. And as said, for some of the mentioned issues solutions have been given, for some others it is a question of priorities.

Thierry

Yair and Thierry,

you both mention that many of these answers have been given. For those of us who do not have the benefit of having been present at that time, could you tell us where these answers can be found?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 06:41:28 am »

as far as Sinar is concerned:

- new high resolution bright 3" lcd display with 640x480 pixels resolution
- on-board processing: either DNGs, or JPGs or both together, or then even RAWs
- files can go directly into any DNG compatible application: LR, ACR, Aperture, Camera Raw, C1, etc ...
- fast shooting rate, 1 fps
- low priced 31 MPx camera system (Euro 12'073.-)
- 3-year warranty as a standard

I refer also to the following threads, for more details:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=27565

and:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=27940

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: carstenw
Thierry,

you .... mention that many of these answers have been given. For those of us who do not have the benefit of having been present at that time, could you tell us where these answers can be found?
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

bcooter

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 09:17:22 am »

Quote from: yaya

Thanks

Yair

Yair,

On the time zone I am in today it is 5:49am and I'm leaving for location in a few minutes so I'll make this quick, (though not that thought out, sorry).

Given the "perfect' system, I'd say probably something like the HY6 with more lens choices (especially in wide), fast f 2 to 2.8 lemses, the fast shooting rate of the Leaf (without having the extra step of decompression), an lcd like a Nikon (maybe Sinar has this covered) tethering as stable as LC11 or C1 3.78, software previews like LC11 and ISO sensitivity like the Canon 1ds3 or even better the Nikon D-3.

I'd want to be able to set a color and look in the software, import it into the camera (like Canon) or like the way Leaf use to do with the old Leaf Drive system where it would hold color and tone regardless of whether it was shot tethered or portable.  (Maybe the 31mpx Sinar also has this covered, I don't know because I haven't tried one).

For final image processing, the workflow and interface of Lightroom, the final color rendering of Raw Developer.

For rental and purchase availability, Canon or Nikon, (probably Canon because they are everywhere) or Hasselblad's H series because they are almost everywhere.

That would do it and probably get close to a long term use camera system.  

For the project we are presently shooting, under so many varied conditions, I would love to do a test and  shoot each scenario the job digitally, then shoot a film camera using 3 or 4 films, then go back into the software and develop my own presets as to what digital processing, matches what film.  (I've promised myself to do this for years, but never find the time on a production and for some reason, just simple tests really don't give enough information to do this properly).

There are 4 things I must cover when shooting a project like this.

1.  The camera must be reliable, stable, built solid and give confidence with no glitches.  Even with backups things can happen, stuff can get broken and there should be a presence in every major market.  Can I rent or buy any of the main prime lenses in most major markets of the world?

2.  The first previews we show (whether tethered or portable) must be very close to the finished look we want to show the client.  We want a wow response on the first 4 frames.

3.  The post processing should match what we showed on set and be stable and fast, especially for the initial web galleries and contact sheets.

Yes I know a lot of this has been covered before and I know that the makers are listening, (because if the weren't none of us would be writing any of this).  

Big Cooter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up