Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Acute  (Read 6664 times)

OldRoy

• http://
Photo Acute
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:00:13 pm »

I have downloaded the evaluation version. First impression is that it's a muddle. For example using a set of 7 identically processed files (NEF > 16 bit Tiff via ACR) it informs me that two of the files have missing exif data, and dechecks them from the set. In the website's supported equipment list my Nikon 10.5 FE is listed under the Fuji camera heading but NOT under the Nikon D200 - which I use. And why the square preview window with the files tortured to fit? All in all it doesn't look like the kind of software that I'm inclined to pay > $100 for - comparing the price with some other excellent packages. Or shareware like the brilliant "enfuse". On the other hand the test I ran did look sharp. How much of that is resolution and how much contrast I'm not yet sure.
I'd appreciate some informed opinions.

Roy

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Photo Acute
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:41:51 pm »

In my case, Photoacute is unable to open any images. Mac version 2.8.2. Other users on this forum have reported similar experience and have given up on the software, like me. It's a shame, because it promises some things that would be very useful: the ability to focus-stack images with moving foliage, and select the slice on which the moving blades would be chosen, and the others suppressed. I have so far not found this in other focus stacking software (Helicon Focus).

Good light! - Hening.

francois

Photo Acute
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:24:26 am »

I've tried many versions of Photo Acute and could never get it to work properly. I'm working on a Mac and I tried on both G5 and Intel-powered Macs without any success.

I'd be interested to hear from satisfied users. In the current state, I wouldn't pay a nickel for this application.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:24:51 am by francois »
Francois

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Photo Acute
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:20:50 pm »

I use Photo Acute to combine images and it does a far superior job to Photomatix Pro for complex images (lots of detail in grasses and leaves, for example). I've never had a problem with it not loading images properly. (Windows platform.)

Generally, I will do the image combining with Photo Acute, save as .HDR, then tone map in Photomatix.

The distorted preview window is a little odd. This can be changed, just no as a permanent option.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:23:09 pm by JDClements »

francois

Photo Acute
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:53:12 am »

Quote from: JDClements
I use Photo Acute to combine images and it does a far superior job to Photomatix Pro for complex images (lots of detail in grasses and leaves, for example). I've never had a problem with it not loading images properly. (Windows platform.)

Generally, I will do the image combining with Photo Acute, save as .HDR, then tone map in Photomatix.

The distorted preview window is a little odd. This can be changed, just no as a permanent option.
So, it might be a Mac problem?

Any satisfied Mac user?
Francois

DarkPenguin

Photo Acute
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:59:13 am »

Quote from: francois
So, it might be a Mac problem?

Any satisfied Mac user?
My understanding is that Mac's are problem free so you probably need to check something else.

The few tests I've tried with the demo on Windows seems to work fine.  Haven't tried it in anger yet.

francois

Photo Acute
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:09:08 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
My understanding is that Mac's are problem free so you probably need to check something else.
So, it's probably my Logitech mouse!  
Francois

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Photo Acute
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
My MacPro 8core only bought in March is an unreliable piece of crap. The worst computer I've ever owned. macs problem free - marketing bollox, which you seem to have swallowed.
I should also point out that it has all the latest patches and updates and there have been an awful lot, which only shows how buggy Leopard is. "It just works" - no it effing doesn't.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:12:57 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DarkPenguin

Photo Acute
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:31:49 pm »

Quote from: jjj
My MacPro 8core only bought in March is an unreliable piece of crap. The worst computer I've ever owned. macs problem free - marketing bollox, which you seem to have swallowed.
I should also point out that it has all the latest patches and updates and there have been an awful lot, which only shows how buggy Leopard is. "It just works" - no it effing doesn't.
LOL!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Photo Acute
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:25:08 pm »

Quote from: jjj

Get Tiger... my own Mac Pro 8 core has been an amazingly stable and fast platform, never had a problem really, but I have kept it on Tiger 10.4.11...

I agree that Leopard is still far from being stable enough.

As far as updates are concerned, I do personnally prefer the incremental approach of Apple compared to the big bang once a year SP approach of MS... I consider a .x.y Apple update to be a real service pack aimed at correction bugs, while a MS SP will basically result in a different OS with its own compatibility issues... remember XP SP2?

Cheers,
Bernard

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Photo Acute
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
As far as updates are concerned, I do personnally prefer the incremental approach of Apple compared to the big bang once a year SP approach of MS...

The Windows platform has continuous incremental updates. (Fact.)

When they get enough of them built up, they make a Service Pack upgrade out of it. (Speculation.)

DarkPenguin

Photo Acute
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:02 pm »

When they get enough of them built up, they make a Service Pack upgrade out of it. (Speculation.)

Generally they add some additional stuff.  But the service packs contain all the updates.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Photo Acute
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:27:39 pm »

There are indeed Windows patches, but they are typically aimed at correction specific issues and most normal users don't really benefit from them since they don't bother checking the content.

The value of the .y.x updates of OSX is that they are like SPs, but released much more frequently. You get the corrections without having to look at the details.

To each its own, but using both OS I find the OSX approach to be more suitable for private users. Corporate IT dpts have the resources to check the patches made available by MS and to build their own internals update packages. For such usage MS approach is probably more suitable.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:28:15 pm by BernardLanguillier »

OldRoy

• http://
Photo Acute
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:00:33 am »

Thanks for the comments. It's notable that (a) no-one really disagrees with my initial observations, and ( that the thread  has rapidly and amusingly degenerated/mutated into a Mac/PC, er, discussion.

Bug sighting!

I't doesn't actually surprise me, as a one-time designer and manufacturer of technology devices (electronic hardware incorporating some microprocessor logic) that products can get onto the market so ill-developed - but it is a bit depressing when it's simple software, particularly at the interface level. I also spent many years involved in testing complex custom software in a very intense commercial media environment. Stuff needs TESTING! Few people allocate sufficient resources.

I won't be purchasing PhotoAcute. I'd be surprised if many people do.

On Mac v PC I'll add my 10 Euros worth. I was a Mac early adopter (1985/6). Prior to that I'd used BBC B's. It was a life-changing experience and even at the outrageous prices Apple were charging (some things don't change) there was no competition; they were simply miles/km ahead of the game. I sung their praises for years. In the early 90's I began to get sick of Mac's (pre-OSX) constant crashing. I'm talking about many boxes in a mixed Mac/PC environment, not just my own Macs. Tying the Mac os to hardware may have made Apple a lot of money but in its way is as pernicious a business practise as many of the things we all bitch about Microsoft for. They continue this sort of thing, and continue to profit from it. Battery changes for lapstops as a "repair" - ha ha ha. Ditto iPods. And don't even get me started on iTunes, and abominable product if ever there was one.

I always think of the Apple/Microsoft comparison as very similar to Rupert Murdoch versus Richard Branson. I marginally prefer the unashamed self interest of a robber baron to that of a greedy, self-promoting hypocrite

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Photo Acute
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:03:28 pm »

Back to PhotoAcute: I have now tried the Windows version, and it works just fine. So it IS a Mac problem - eh, no: a problem with the Mac version of PhotoAcute...

Good light! - Hening.

francois

Photo Acute
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 04:17:46 am »

Quote from: Hening
Back to PhotoAcute: I have now tried the Windows version, and it works just fine. So it IS a Mac problem - eh, no: a problem with the Mac version of PhotoAcute...

Good light! - Hening.
Thanks for the info, Hening. I'll just wait until they have a working Mac version.
Francois

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Photo Acute
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 07:34:41 pm »

Back to PhotoAcute: I have now tried the Windows version, and it works just fine.

No it doesn't. It works, but not fine. Upon closer examination, the result of focus stacking is inconsistent. And the anti-ghosting does not really work. So for now, Helicon Focus gets my vote, despite the lack of anti-ghosting (for the time being).

Good light - Hening.

francois

Photo Acute
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 03:16:11 am »

No it doesn't. It works, but not fine. Upon closer examination, the result of focus stacking is inconsistent. And the anti-ghosting does not really work. So for now, Helicon Focus gets my vote, despite the lack of anti-ghosting (for the time being).

Good light - Hening.
Thanks for the information. Looks like PhotoAcute is not ready...
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up