Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 and Hahnemuhle Textured FAP  (Read 1682 times)

Frank Remar

Z3100 and Hahnemuhle Textured FAP
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:28:41 am »

I recently used the Hahnemuhle textured FAP on my Z3100 for the first time.  I am finding that the image is very fragile.  The picture I am printing has a solid black background and even the slightest touch on the surface causes small bits of the ink to flake off.  Has anyone else noticed a similar problem and, if so, found a solution?  Would a protective spray solve the problem without affecting the matte finish?

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:42:32 pm »

William Turner and other coated fine art papers have very delicate surfaces, they also have a tendency to have paper lint flake off AFTER printing, leaving white spots.
I've used these papers for years, you must pre-brush the paper. I use a horse hair drafting table brush. Then, the surface of the finished prints can never be touched, prints can not be stacked, etc.. Particularly if there are large smooth areas of dark tones. I always put finished prints directly into clear bags when dry, or if stacking, use interleaving that is slick, like glassine.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

Frank Remar

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:02:36 pm »

Quote from: TylerB
William Turner and other coated fine art papers have very delicate surfaces, they also have a tendency to have paper lint flake off AFTER printing, leaving white spots.
I've used these papers for years, you must pre-brush the paper. I use a horse hair drafting table brush. Then, the surface of the finished prints can never be touched, prints can not be stacked, etc.. Particularly if there are large smooth areas of dark tones. I always put finished prints directly into clear bags when dry, or if stacking, use interleaving that is slick, like glassine.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

Thank you very much for the information.  Am I correct in assuming that a protective spray will alter the look of the finish?

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:01:13 pm »

perhaps others with more experience will reply, I have used sprays rarely. The popular one, Print Guard I think, reportedly reduses damz slightly, another made by Lascaux (sp?) does less so..
Neither are something you want to be doing in a closed room.
I prefer to just take care of the prints, they are no more delicate than charcoals or some other kinds of art on paper. Cearly less robust than traditional photography prints though.
Tyler
Pages: [1]   Go Up