Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose a circular polarizer  (Read 11337 times)

mattyoung

Help me choose a circular polarizer
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:14:04 pm »

I recently bought a Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8; My current filters don't fit its 77mm size so I need to get new ones.  The first one I want to get is a polarizer.  Here are my options:

1) plain old Circular Polarizer by Nikon or B+W @ ~$140
2) Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer (http://www.singh-ray.com/polarizers.html) @ $240
3) Singh-Ray ColorCombo (http://www.singh-ray.com/colorcombo.html) @ $400

I use B+W now.  I can get that again but I wonder if I should try Singh-ray.  I understand the Singh-Ray is not as dark so it cuts down less light for the same polarize effect.  I like to know if the Singh-Ray's "Warming" effect is good for general landscape/outdoor photography?  If yes, is the added "Color Intensifier" in the ColorCombo "good/right/natural" for general purpose?  Should I get the $400 ColorCombo if I only buy one polarizer?

Thanks!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:21:10 pm »

If you're shooting digital I would just get a B+W kaseman.  (however you spell that)

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:19:02 pm »

Quote from: mattyoung
I use B+W now.  I can get that again but I wonder if I should try Singh-ray.  I understand the Singh-Ray is not as dark so it cuts down less light for the same polarize effect.  I like to know if the Singh-Ray's "Warming" effect is good for general landscape/outdoor photography?  If yes, is the added "Color Intensifier" in the ColorCombo "good/right/natural" for general purpose?  Should I get the $400 ColorCombo if I only buy one polarizer?

Thanks!

I've got the Singh-Ray LB polo filter, it's going with me next week to shoot fall color in the eastern Sierras and I use it for general outdoor photography.  The additional 2/3rd stop brightness is very helpful for both focusing and higher shutter speeds.  It's not as useful, though, if you use polo filters as ad hoc neutral density filters.  The warming effect is subtle and works best to knock down "blue" shadows due to cool color temps.

I don't use the color intensifier filter; from what I've seen the effect is noticable but not gaudy.  Is it worth the extra $ to get the LB polo filter with color intensifier? You have to answer that for yourself.   But I'm guessing if you loved Velvia, you'll like the color intensifier.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:01:23 pm by PaulS »

mattyoung

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:30:24 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
But I'm guessing if you loved Velvia, you'll like the color intensifier.

If the ColorIntensifier just does the Velvia effect, that can easily be done in Photoshop. In that case, I will get the LB Warming version and save a few bucks.  I like the Singh-Ray's less dark because I carry ND and GRD ND Filters when I need that.

Thanks!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:01 pm »

If the ColorIntensifier just does the Velvia effect, that can easily be done in Photoshop.

To be fair, based on what I've seen, the color intensifier filter is more subtle than Velvia.  But it does give a bit more "punch" to colors.

I like the Singh-Ray's less dark because I carry ND and GRD ND Filters when I need that.

If you're combining NDs or grad NDs with polarizer, the extra brightness is a definite plus.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:19:28 pm by PaulS »

masl

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:57:52 am »

The only concern I have with mine is that the ring is fairly thick and adds some vignetting for 24mm and wider FF (film for me).  It is noticably brighter (about one stop) than B+W or Hoya CPs.
-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:37 am »

I recently bought a Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8; My current filters don't fit its 77mm size so I need to get new ones.  The first one I want to get is a polarizer.  Here are my options:

1) plain old Circular Polarizer by Nikon or B+W @ ~$140
2) Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer (http://www.singh-ray.com/polarizers.html) @ $240
3) Singh-Ray ColorCombo (http://www.singh-ray.com/colorcombo.html) @ $400

Thanks!

I've been using the Singh-Ray LB Warming polarizer for years and have been very happy with it.  If you're shooting digitally I don't see any reason to plunk down extra money on a color intensifying filter.  It's easy enough to do the same thing in Photoshop without spending the extra money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up