Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dye Transfer Prints  (Read 10102 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Dye Transfer Prints
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:00:16 pm »

On the TOP Photographer site there's an entry by Ctein on making dye transfer prints, here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-crazy-and.html

There's also a limited edition (10 days) sale of two of his prints in a smaller size, here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-dye-trans.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:14 pm »

Ordered mine.

BruceHouston

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »

Just ordered mine, like a kid in a candy store.  Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:37:34 pm by BruceHouston »

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:02:52 pm »

Quote from: BruceHouston
Just ordered mine, like a kid in a candy store.  Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.

Me too! I've been dy(e)ing to see his prints for a long time now, and the smaller versions look like a great intro to the process.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

from Ctein, October 21, 2008

Message (and a Request) from Ctein

As an artist I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers. This month "strangers" have been exceptionally kind to me. (Okay, I know you're not strangers, but I don't want to screw up a fine Tennessee Williams reference).

When Mike and I launched the dye transfer print offering, I figured that if the offer were extremely successful it would be well within my printing capability to deliver 200-odd prints by Christmas (I would be working hard, mind you, but it would be doable). Heck, I could even deliver an unimaginable 300+ prints by Christmas if I really had to (very long hours, lots of midnight oil, etc.); we had ample safety margin.

The gods have an interesting sense of humor. When orders closed last night, some 450 people had ordered about 720 prints.

I am beyond flabbergasted, beyond ecstatic, beyond elated. I'm simply stunned. And at a loss for metaphors; my jaw hit the floor many days ago and I haven't been able to pick it up since. I cannot begin to express how grateful I am to all of you—the folks who ordered, the folks who sent e-mails thanking us for making the offer, the folks who copied the offer and posted it on their own lists, all of you. It's beyond astonishing.

Victim of success
    ...And it presents me with a difficulty. It's physically impossible for me to make 700 dye transfer prints before Christmas. it will likely take me through February to do this much printing.

So once more I have to depend upon the kindness of "strangers." I need to ask for volunteers willing to wait a little longer for their prints. If you don't need your print before Christmas, please  e-mail me at ctein@pobox.com (don't post as a comment). You don't need to recapitulate your order; just give me your name, and I'll match it to your order. Folks who really do need their photos by Christmas will all get them shipped before folks who don't, with orders filled in the order in which I received them. So that none of our out-of-U.S. friends worry, those orders will get shipped before domestic ones, because it can take one-to-several weeks longer for overseas mail.

If you do want your photographs by Christmas, you don't need to do anything. Hopefully more than enough of you will volunteer for later delivery that I will not be in a bind.

Thank you all; I'm still in a state of shock. This mixture of elation, gratitude, and sheer terror is one that I am unaccustomed to.

-                                                                                                 —Ctein
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:16:41 pm by wolfnowl »

DarkPenguin

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

He can suck it.  I want my prints by xmas, dagnabbit.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:56 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
He can suck it.  I want my prints by xmas, dagnabbit.
What compassion. I supposed when Ctein cranks out a couple of gaffs you'd take 'em out of his trash 'cuz you need 'em so badly, only to complain that a true artist doesn't let mistakes out the door. No doubt you've made hundreds of dye transfer print editions, too, and know exactly how "easy" they are to make.
~ CB

DarkPenguin

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:37:56 pm »

A. It was a joke.
B. At least one is intended to be an xmas gift and not an easter gift.
C. Where did this "I supposed when Ctein cranks out a couple of gaffs you'd take 'em out of his trash 'cuz you need 'em so badly, only to complain that a true artist doesn't let mistakes out the door." come from?  Just an interpolation from two short sentences?

BruceHouston

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:44:05 am »

Hi All,

I received my Ctein prints today via priority mail.  Absolutely gorgeous, flawlessly printed, and very professionally packaged.  My wife wil be very pleased with her Christmas gift.

Bruce

DarkPenguin

Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 09:47:16 am »

I got mine, too.  Very nice.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Dye Transfer Prints
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:13:02 am »

From The Online Photographer for Dec. 5, 2008

"Ctein Dye Transfer Update

This morning, Ctein sent us the following update about the dye transfer prints:

I shipped off the last of the domestic Christmas orders for dye transfer prints on Thursday, December 4. Out-of-country Christmas orders were all shipped last week. This is approximately 1/3 of all the orders that came in. If you didn't explicitly agree to have your order delayed until after Christmas, your order has been shipped, unless I made a clerical error. Just in case of that, if you haven't gotten your order by Saturday, December 13th, please e-mail me then to confirm that it was sent.

Please do not e-mail me before  December 13th to inquire if your order was shipped. I can't take the time to respond to such inquiries without delaying other peoples' prints; I'm spending 50 hours a week on this as it is.

From this point on, I'm filling orders in the order that they were received. Many of the people who generously volunteered to have their orders deferred will still get their prints before Christmas (although I fear it's unlikely that many more out-of-country orders will be delivered by then, customs delays being what they are).

Thanks to everyone for their patience; now it's back to the salt mines! —Ctein"
Pages: [1]   Go Up