Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the different types of production lights?  (Read 10426 times)

couleur

• http://couleur.deviantart.com
What is the different types of production lights?
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:39:45 pm »

LIGHTING

RM/day      RM/day

HMI FRESNEL (FLICKER FREE)        HMI FRESNEL      

18KW       3,800-00      12KW    1,300-00

12KW       1,800-00  6KW          700-00

6KW          950-00   4KW                  550-00 4KW          700-00  2.5KW         300-00

2.5KW          500-00  1.2KW          250-00

1.2KW          400-00  575W           180-00

575W          300-00  200W with Dimmer        150-00            

HMI PARLIGHTS         SOFT  PARLIGHTS  

18KW Arrimax (Flickerfree)    7,000-00                  400W Joker w/ Soft-Tube         600-00

12KW    (Flickerfree)     3,500-00  400W Joker      500-00

6KW     (Flickerfree)     2,400-00  6KW Space Light     300-00

4KW      (Flickerfree)     1,000-00  2KW Space Light     120-00

2.5KW    (Flickerfree)        700-00  4K ‘X’ HMI Light                700-00

2.5KW          600-00

1.2KW    (Flickerfree)             450-00  

1.2KW          350-00        

125W Pocket Par (F/free)       400-00

125W  PocketPAR (AC/DC) F/Free       550-00

575W     (Flickerfree)        380-00

575W          280-00

200W     (Flickerfree)        450-00

200W (AC/DC) F/Free       600-00
FRESNEL SPOTLIGHTS                  

# 20000/24000W (Arri)               2,000-00  650W            40-00

12000W   (Arri)        800-00  500W                   35-00 10000W   (Arri)        400-00  300W                    30-00

#  10000W   (Quartz)        250-00

5000W      (Arri)        100-00

2000W              75-00        

1000W                 60-00

CINERENT (M) SDN. BHD. (Co. No. 362700-D)

RM/day       RM/day      

QUARTZ LIGHTS       DEDO LIGHTS  

400W HMI      550-00

2000W Blonde           50-00  100W (Set of 4)    260-00

800W Red Head           35-00              150W (Set of 3)    225-00

150W (Each)                              75-00                        

100W (Each)      65-00

SOFT LIGHTS                 BATTERY SUNGUN

2500W         100-00  250W Sungun with Battery         80-00

2000W            80-00  30V Battery Additional      50-00

1000W             50-00

==

I have a project next week, it's a photoshoot for a car magazine. This time the editor wants it to be night scene. But I do not own any mobi-lights. So i'm looking to rent some production lights instead. I am new to this production lighting field. Can anyone guide me and describe which is the best to pick from here? I have no idea which one is the correct light to choose for this job. We are looking around 5 lights at least. Do you think that 1,000W is enough?

Looking forward to get something close to this

Thank you.
[span style='color:green'][url=http://co

wollom

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:29:10 am »

Howdy, there are a few parts to answering your question.  

First the easy part: HMI - refers to a type of light that is close to the colour of daylight.  Fresnel - is a kind of lens.  Usually these are used to focus the light.  Further down your list are Fresnel Spotlights - these are lights with a fresnel lens and the light source is a quartz halogen lamp - much yellower than the HMI's.

"Is 1000W enough?" - probably not for the top photo, maybe for the lower one.

I'd suggest you get a model car - as large as possible - put it on a dark surface then try holding white cards near the model to see the light and reflections of the card in the model.  

Good luck, this can be harder than it looks.

Wollom

couleur

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:48:09 am »

Quote from: wollom
Howdy, there are a few parts to answering your question.  

First the easy part: HMI - refers to a type of light that is close to the colour of daylight.  Fresnel - is a kind of lens.  Usually these are used to focus the light.  Further down your list are Fresnel Spotlights - these are lights with a fresnel lens and the light source is a quartz halogen lamp - much yellower than the HMI's.

"Is 1000W enough?" - probably not for the top photo, maybe for the lower one.

I'd suggest you get a model car - as large as possible - put it on a dark surface then try holding white cards near the model to see the light and reflections of the card in the model.  

Good luck, this can be harder than it looks.

Wollom

Do you think I should take HMI FRESNEL 1.2kw OR 2.5KW? I am looking around 3 lights, because they are pretty expensive to rent. should I take 2x 1.2kw and 1x 2.5kw or likewise?

Morning-afternoon, is a white car.  And at night is a black. I am very worried about this, because both arent easy and black cars don't consume light, but the eat more on reflection. I hope I could pull this off...

wollom

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:58:28 pm »

Quote from: couleur
Do you think I should take HMI FRESNEL 1.2kw OR 2.5KW? I am looking around 3 lights, because they are pretty expensive to rent. should I take 2x 1.2kw and 1x 2.5kw or likewise?

Morning-afternoon, is a white car.  And at night is a black. I am very worried about this, because both arent easy and black cars don't consume light, but the eat more on reflection. I hope I could pull this off...

It might be a language or experience thing - I'm not sure if you understand that lighting reflective objects like cars is not about lighting the car, it's about lighting the thing that will reflect in the car.

There's a thread running right now where people are showing their studios, including a fantastic car photography studio. Car studio

Studio thread

In some of the studio shots you can see huge panels suspended over a car, these are lit from below by lights (fresnel spots in this case).  In the portfolio of car shots you can see cars with these big panels reflected in the bodywork.  Dark cars show the reflection more clearly.  On reason a lot of outdoor car shots are done after sunset on top of a hill is that the car can reflect a huge softly lit object - the sky!

In your case the power of the lights will probably be determined by practical factors - where is the electricity coming from? 3 x 1.2kW HMI probably need about a 10 KVA generator or three mains circuits.  Using a slow shutter speed means less powerful lights are needed.

Aiming lights at a car will give a very different look - and works better if the the cars are not highly polished.

Both of your sample shots were probably done in early evening - just after sunset.  That means there was time to set up for the shot then wait for the daylight to fade to the right balance.

Best of luck. Wollom.

couleur

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:32:51 am »

Quote from: wollom
It might be a language or experience thing - I'm not sure if you understand that lighting reflective objects like cars is not about lighting the car, it's about lighting the thing that will reflect in the car.

There's a thread running right now where people are showing their studios, including a fantastic car photography studio. Car studio

Studio thread

In some of the studio shots you can see huge panels suspended over a car, these are lit from below by lights (fresnel spots in this case).  In the portfolio of car shots you can see cars with these big panels reflected in the bodywork.  Dark cars show the reflection more clearly.  On reason a lot of outdoor car shots are done after sunset on top of a hill is that the car can reflect a huge softly lit object - the sky!

In your case the power of the lights will probably be determined by practical factors - where is the electricity coming from? 3 x 1.2kW HMI probably need about a 10 KVA generator or three mains circuits.  Using a slow shutter speed means less powerful lights are needed.

Aiming lights at a car will give a very different look - and works better if the the cars are not highly polished.

Both of your sample shots were probably done in early evening - just after sunset.  That means there was time to set up for the shot then wait for the daylight to fade to the right balance.

Best of luck. Wollom.

I think you got me wrong. I am not looking forward for studio set ups. It's a outdoor shot, and outdoor and studio is completely different set up.

What I am worried most now is that the HMI Frensel 2.5k.w might not over power the sunlight. I plan to close the aperture and run high faster shutter seped to compensate a darker scene, but not very dark. Then fill in the HMI's to shape out the body of the car.

Do you think 2.5kw is enough to over power the sun? I am very worried everything might go wrong because the car is white, a bit metallic. Also the weather here is humid and hot all day long. I am also worried that the HMI might over heat. What do you all think? I always shoot cars with ambient light, but I am looking forward to shoot something new this time.

Something like this

wollom

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:52:26 am »

Quote from: couleur
I think you got me wrong. I am not looking forward for studio set ups. It's a outdoor shot, and outdoor and studio is completely different set up.

What I am worried most now is that the HMI Frensel 2.5k.w might not over power the sunlight. I plan to close the aperture and run high faster shutter seped to compensate a darker scene, but not very dark. Then fill in the HMI's to shape out the body of the car.

Do you think 2.5kw is enough to over power the sun? I am very worried everything might go wrong because the car is white, a bit metallic. Also the weather here is humid and hot all day long. I am also worried that the HMI might over heat. What do you all think? I always shoot cars with ambient light, but I am looking forward to shoot something new this time.

Something like this

We've definitely got a language problem.

The studio examples were to demonstrate that for cars you need to light the thing that will be reflected by the car.   It's the same outside and in-studio. In your sample shot of the Maxim can you see that the roof of the car is reflecting the sky (or clouds)?   See the dark patch that starts half way along the roof - the reflection of a building. If the sky was dark the shot would look very different.

If a scene is too dark you need to 'open' the aperture and/or slow the shutter speed (make the exposure longer).

It's unlikely an HMI will overheat.  However you may need to think about turning them off then on again - some types require a long cool-down period before they can be re-lit.

Is a 2.5kW HMI brighter than the sun? Depends on the sunlight and how you use the light.  In the first example shots you posted the photographer had waited until after sunset so the artificial light balanced the remaining sunlight.

It's really worth going to the location you plan to use at the time you plan to shoot with a shiny model car (1/25th scale) or even a real car of some sort; see what it looks like; plan your lighting, if any, accordingly.

'Hope you post some samples of the shots when they are done.

Cheers  Wollom

[attachment=8821:Nissan_maxima_321.jpg] [attachment=8822:Aston_Ma...DBS_181_.jpg]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:13:07 am by wollom »
Pages: [1]   Go Up