Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used gear assistance  (Read 2732 times)

adsmitha

• http://psc.photoshelter.com/user/adsmitha
Used gear assistance
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:03:56 pm »

I'm venturing into medium format!  35mm digital is fantastic but as a (somewhat) younger person who has learned some darkroom techniques and even shot film   , I miss shooting true black & white!  (You'll have to pry my digicam(s) from my cold dead hands ... but I've also got a photography addiction that can't be completely met by digital colour alone).

Can anyone suggest (other) reputable online forums to pick up used film medium format gear?  I'm looking to pick up, as of now, one of the Mamiya 645's for street and documentary photography within a tight, student budget ($500 or so give or take a few hundred -- I realize that it will likely be 'give'!)  I think I've heard of the usual suspects in terms of established businesses -- not to name any names but, e.g., the place in Atlanta -- and of course Ebay.  Where else might I look?  Either on or off list is fine (adsmitha at yahoo dot com).  I greatly appreciate your responses.

Adrian

vandevanterSH

Used gear assistance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:39:02 pm »

Quote from: adsmitha
I'm venturing into medium format!  35mm digital is fantastic but as a (somewhat) younger person who has learned some darkroom techniques and even shot film   , I miss shooting true black & white!  (You'll have to pry my digicam(s) from my cold dead hands ... but I've also got a photography addiction that can't be completely met by digital colour alone).

Can anyone suggest (other) reputable online forums to pick up used film medium format gear?  I'm looking to pick up, as of now, one of the Mamiya 645's for street and documentary photography within a tight, student budget ($500 or so give or take a few hundred -- I realize that it will likely be 'give'!)  I think I've heard of the usual suspects in terms of established businesses -- not to name any names but, e.g., the place in Atlanta -- and of course Ebay.  Where else might I look?  Either on or off list is fine (adsmitha at yahoo dot com).  I greatly appreciate your responses.

Adrian

If you are risk adverse, I would recommend the place in Atlanta...I have purchased a lot of MF gear from them and it has all been as good or better than advertised.

Steve

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Used gear assistance
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:22 pm »

The places in Atlanta seem very straight.

If you know what you're doing then any high-street used camera dealer/photo shop has MF film equipment they cannot get rid of. In particular, old  Mamiya bodies, manual lenses etc can be had for very little money in those shops.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Used gear assistance
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:51:10 am »

keh.com

Their ratings are very conservative, so even gear listed as "bargain" is in pretty decent shape.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Snook

Used gear assistance
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:40:10 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
keh.com

Their ratings are very conservative, so even gear listed as "bargain" is in pretty decent shape.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

I second the Vote for KEH out of Atlanta.
I have been buying from them for at least 12 years and always got good deals.
I just had a recent case where I bought a lens from them and it arrived dented. I had not seen the lens in a month or two b/c of traveling. But when I finally got the lens and it was dented they kindly received it back and sent me out a newer even better lens for the same price.

They have great stuff and prices are good also.
Snook

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
Used gear assistance
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

KEH for sure!!

KEH.com
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Josh l.

Used gear assistance
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »

Sometimes adorama has good deals on used stuff, but like everyone else has said KEH is pretty much the way to go.

sometimes people will post listings of things for sale on flickr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up