Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge is wrecking my computer  (Read 3031 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
Bridge is wrecking my computer
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:53 am »

I've been using the same iMac with CS3 for the last two years and just recently whenever I load a large file in Photoshop through Bridge it completely freezes the computer or even crashes it.

Could this be a problem with the computer itself or the software? Anyone else experienced it?

I need this problem sorting out asap as I've already missed one deadline because of this.

Thanks
Chris

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »

Quote from: ChrisJR
I've been using the same iMac with CS3 for the last two years and just recently whenever I load a large file in Photoshop through Bridge it completely freezes the computer or even crashes it.

Could this be a problem with the computer itself or the software? Anyone else experienced it?

I need this problem sorting out asap as I've already missed one deadline because of this.

Thanks
Chris

I'd try repairing disk permissions (Disk Utility) and having your RAM checked, as well as checking how full your HD is.
Ted Dillard

ChrisJR

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 05:46:40 am »

Quote from: teddillard
I'd try repairing disk permissions (Disk Utility) and having your RAM checked, as well as checking how full your HD is.
Thanks for the reply.

I checked both the RAM and did a Disk Utility check yesterday and both seem fine. Available HD space is about the same as normal.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:07 am »

Thanks for the reply.

I checked both the RAM and did a Disk Utility check yesterday and both seem fine. Available HD space is about the same as normal.
Try to log under a different user account and see if the problem is there.
Francois

ChrisJR

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:09:46 am »

Quote from: francois
Try to log under a different user account and see if the problem is there.
Problem is still there unfortunately.

The View

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:16:16 am »

Another possibility would be directory trouble.

Do you have access to DiscWarrior? It's a software maintenance tool for the Mac, costs about 100$, and generally a good thing to have.

It would be interesting to know if the problem comes from Bridge. Did you try to open the files through the finder? What happens then?

You also said LARGE file. Small files open well? How small? Do you have an idea from which file size on the freeze/crash will happen?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:41:32 am »

Problem is still there unfortunately.
So, it means that your problem is system-wide. Any error messages in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app)? Does it happen with a specific large file or with any large file? System crashes and kernel panics are very often caused by bad RAM or hardware issues.

What happens if you start up your Mac in Safe Mode (press the shift key during the start-up). I understand that you have checked your hard disk (and not only disk permissions) with Disk Utility application.
Francois

ChrisJR

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:34:13 am »

Quote from: The View
Another possibility would be directory trouble.

Do you have access to DiscWarrior? It's a software maintenance tool for the Mac, costs about 100$, and generally a good thing to have.

It would be interesting to know if the problem comes from Bridge. Did you try to open the files through the finder? What happens then?

You also said LARGE file. Small files open well? How small? Do you have an idea from which file size on the freeze/crash will happen?
I do have DiscWarrior and apart from a few mis-named files that it shows on the computer all seems fine, at least according to DW.

I haven't tried opening the files through Bridge yet, must try that.

Small files are typically around 30mb, larger files over 1gb. Problems start happening with files around 300mb in size.

Quote from: francois
So, it means that your problem is system-wide. Any error messages in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app)? Does it happen with a specific large file or with any large file? System crashes and kernel panics are very often caused by bad RAM or hardware issues.

What happens if you start up your Mac in Safe Mode (press the shift key during the start-up). I understand that you have checked your hard disk (and not only disk permissions) with Disk Utility application.
It happens with any file from around 300mb in size. I tried opening a file over 1gb in size a few days ago and it froze the computer for quite some time. I haven't tried starting up in Safe Mode, will try that as well.

Thanks for the responses on this. Not at my main computer, where the problems are happening, right now but will check this afternoon.

francois

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:57 am »

A few more suggestions...

Have you purged the Bridge cache (Bridge preferences>Cache)?
Also in Bridge's preferences, in the Thumbnails pane, does changing the size limit of "Do Not Process Files Larger Than:" has any effect on your crashes/freezes?
Francois

The View

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:41:35 pm »

Your last resort is reinstalling the system software. There are two options:

1. Archive & install leaves all the other files on your computer and only re-installs the software. But you need to back up, just in case. Afterwards, if everything went well, get rid of the folder called that contains the old system files, as it takes away considerable disc space (not sure what it's called, something like "old system"... something with "old".

2. Complete new install, where you wipe the disc, re-install the system software, and all your other software, and then drag all your files back to your hard disc from your back-up. For this two back-ups are recommended, as you never want only one copy of your files (which you will have for the two hours you need wipe and re-install your software). This is probable the better option, as it would take care of any hidden damage in any of your software packages. Just don't forget to deactivate any Adobe software before you wipe it out.

In any case, this should take care of the problem, and I guess it's a better solution than forever guessing where the error might lie.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up