Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 50D Vs Nikon D300 Cameras  (Read 24104 times)

Killer Angel

Canon 50D Vs Nikon D300 Cameras
« on: October 08, 2008, 03:24:54 am »

Between the the Canon 50D and Nikon D300,which camera would you choose?And why?What are the advantages of each over the other?
Thanks.

giles

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:27:45 am »

Quote from: Killer Angel
Between the the Canon 50D and Nikon D300,which camera would you choose?And why?What are the advantages of each over the other?
Thanks.
You'll find a lot of discussion of the two cameras and exhaustive (and exhausting) comparisons of their feature lists if you search some of the forums on sites such as dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com.

As there aren't large numbers of 50Ds in the wild yet there can't be too many people qualified to report on the image quality of both.  (There is unlimited speculation about image quality, but that's different!)  Further, few people will use both cameras.  I suspect the image quality will be close enough that only the nit picking pixel peepers will be fretting over which camera is better; other owners will just be using theirs or perhaps arguing over which post-processing software is better.

Two things are certain:

1. the Canon 50D is better suited to Canon lenses
2. the Nikon D300 is better suited to Nikon lenses

The D300 is somewhat higher specified (autofocus, 100% viewfinder, weather sealing) than the 50D but has a correspondingly higher price.

If you don't have any Canon or Nikon lenses already, and if the two lens lineups both contain lenses suited to what you want to do, then choose whichever camera's handling suits you better.

We have an embarrassment of riches to choose from.

Giles

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:11:06 pm »

As Giles has already stated, the primary advantages of each are compatibility with specific lenses, which should be your primary consideration as it makes sense to start with lenses and then choose a camera instead of the other way around.  For me, that means the D300 is the better choice because I own Nikkor lenses.  Honestly, if I owned Canon lenses, then I think I would probably be sticking with the 40D.

The D300 has a stated 6 fps rate (without the MB-D10 grip attached), but I get 6.5 fps from mine.  The 50D has a stated 6.3 fps, but if you attach an MB-D10 to the D300 you should be able to get 8 fps.  According to DPR (Digital Photography Review) the 50D fills a CF card at about 18 MB per second while the D300 fills CF cards at up to about 24.5 MB per second (depending on the card, my Lexars are rated at 20.4 MB per second, which I find quite adequate).

The D300 AF sensors cover more of the frame than the 50D with the 50D having 9 AF sensors and the D300 have 45 AF sensors which can be switched to 11 selectable (those 11 still cover a larger area of the frame).

For whatever reason (probably AA filter) the 50D does not have appreciably more resolution than the D300; you can see for yourself here at this review from DPR just posted today.

Reading the DPR's conclusions about the D300 and the 50D, I would say they seem to prefer the D300 by a slight margin.

douglasf13

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »

Quote from: Killer Angel
Thanks.

As a user of neither Nikon or Canon, I would say go with the Nikon if you need a new system.  It's a better spec'ed cam overall.

Now, if I can insert my bias, why not try the A700, which is kind of a D300-lite with in-body IS and a lower price?  The dpreview tests use A700 v2, which isn't nearly as good as the current V4 with noise.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:35:15 pm by douglasf13 »

The View

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »

Both cameras are very good.

Check the lens line-up regarding your needs.

Handle both cameras. It's really about your personal preferences.

For me, the D300 had too narrow a viewfinder (a downside that many Nikons have... the only thing that, years back, upset me on my FE-2).

The Canon 40d (and the 50d should be identical in this matter) has the best viewfinder of APS-C cameras, except very likely high end cameras like the 1DIII.

I have the 40D (and I just love how the files come out in color and sharpness using Canon DPP).

Regarding AF points, the spread is the same on the D300 and the 50D. In both, the focus points are farther away from the center than you see in the current crop of full frame cameras. Which is an advantage for controlling the focus by using selective focus points.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either of those cameras. Don't decide upon reviews, but your own views and feelings towards each of them. And be careful about single-sided recommendations. There are fanboys of a particular brands in the world of photography, whose own brand does everything right, and any other is not worth considering. Detect those opinions, and discard them.

And never choose a camera based on online reviews. The best use of those reviews is to check on features or hobbling weaknesses. Which none of those two cameras really have.

It's about you, the photographer.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:56:34 pm »

One more remark: consider your budget.

Don't blow your money on the camera body,  and then fall for third party lenses.

Get really, really good lenses, or you'll be sorry. Buy fewer, excellent lenses rather than a whole bouquet of mediocre ones.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:57:08 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:41:43 pm »

Which 3rd party lenses gave you such grief?

Tony Beach

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35:54 pm »

Quote from: The View
For me, the D300 had too narrow a viewfinder (a downside that many Nikons have... the only thing that, years back, upset me on my FE-2).

The Canon 40d (and the 50d should be identical in this matter) has the best viewfinder of APS-C cameras, except very likely high end cameras like the 1DIII.

Eyepoint is 22mm on the 50D and 19.5mm on the D300.  Viewfinder coverage on the 50D is 95% and on the D300 it is 100%.

Regarding AF points, the spread is the same on the D300 and the 50D. In both, the focus points are farther away from the center than you see in the current crop of full frame cameras. Which is an advantage for controlling the focus by using selective focus points.

The layout of AF sensors is not the same according to diagrams on these pages:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page4.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page5.asp

Given the smaller viewfinder coverage on the 50D compared to the D300, the difference is actually a bit more than the diagrams indicate.  It is notable that the D300 has 15 cross type AF sensors all grouped in the middle while all 11 of the 50D's AF sensors are cross type and distributed more widely across the frame; that suggests to me that the AF performance of these two cameras is probably different but not necessarily better or worse from each other, and that some will prefer one over the other for individual reasons or specific shooting conditions.

I concur with your bottom line.

The View

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:02:52 pm »

Quote from: Tony Beach
Eyepoint is 22mm on the 50D and 19.5mm on the D300.  Viewfinder coverage on the 50D is 95% and on the D300 it is 100%.

I didn't mean the coverage.

I meant the physical dimensions, and how well you can see the full frame of the viewfinder. Here I see the 40D/50D viewfinder larger.

Anyway, there's a new review out there about the 50D, and it looks like the 40D is the better camera because of the pixel-cramped APS-C sensor.

The 50D's gain on detail is so marginal that it's not worth the 50% larger file size (which will inflate arithmetically in Photoshop).

Dpreview also shows, that the D300 has better detail than the 15MP 50D.

To the OP:

I'd recommend considering a 40D versus a D300.

I honestly can't see a single point why I'd want a 50D.

Nikon D300 at 1559$ at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...C=NID300&Q=

Canon 40D at 920$ at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5182...LR_Digital.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:03:54 pm by The View »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:27 pm »

To the OP:

LCD and better sealing.  That said I agree about getting the 40D instead as it is $500 cheaper than the 50D.

Tony Beach

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »

To the OP:

Nikon D300 at 1559$ at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...C=NID300&Q=

Canon 40D at 920$ at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5182...LR_Digital.html

Well, I still would argue that picking a camera first and then compiling a system around that is backwards -- start with the lenses instead.  Cameras come and go, while quality lenses are a considerably longer term investment and should represent the larger percentage of a system's cost.

Slough

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:20 pm »

Be careful with the eyepoint aka eye relief. You can only really compare in use since you don't know how they measure it, and how the various bits and pieces surrounding the viewfinder restrict your view.

Also, is the 95% linear or area? I find the less than 100% coverage of the D200 annoying as the 'missing' part of the frame is not symmetric, there being more at the top of the frame.

The View

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:12:24 pm »

Well, I still would argue that picking a camera first and then compiling a system around that is backwards -- start with the lenses instead.  Cameras come and go, while quality lenses are a considerably longer term investment and should represent the larger percentage of a system's cost.

I wrote about considering the lens offerings of a manufacturer as being part of choosing a camera/ a system in my first post in this thread.

That said, I think you underplay the importance of the choice of camera.

You need to be comfortable with the way you work with a camera.

You need to like the characteristics of the files it produces.

So, yes, focusing at the camera is a good way to go, as all the big manufacturers offer a good array of lenses.

And both Canon and Nikon have enough to offer to satisfy a professional.

The camera needs to handle well and needs to allow to "sync" with it, so it disappears at a thing, and just functions like an extension of your senses and your imagination.

But your argument is valid for brands like Pentax or Sony. The latter is just building the system and you might not find everything you need.

Pentax is generally too limited in lens offerings, having seriously flawed lenses in their "pro" department.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:31:05 pm by The View »

Tony Beach

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:50 pm »

The camera needs to handle well and needs to allow to "sync" with it, so it disappears at a thing, and just functions like an extension of your senses and your imagination.

In that regard I would choose my D300, although I think I could become accustomed to a 40D or 50D if I for some reason needed to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up