Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get Insurance!  (Read 14820 times)

DarkPenguin

Get Insurance!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 03:02:19 am »

Quote from: kaelaria
The Sheriff was 100% useless.  They said he hasn't done anything illegal, there's nothing they can do because he blocked his phone number, etc.  I said to the deputy "sir, I believe death threats are illegal.  He went off for another 2 min speech.  Bottom line was they wouldn't do anything.  I said, alright, so if anything happens, I just want it documented that I called and what's going on (I gave him all the prior details).

He isn't interested unless there's a body?  Nice.  Good luck with the vigil.

Chief Wiggum: I'd like to help you ma'am, but, heh heh, I'm afraid there's no law against mailing threatening letters.
Marge: (indignantly) I'm pretty sure there is.
Chief Wiggum: Hah! The day I take cop lessons from Ma Kettle --
Lou: Hey, she's right, Chief. (shows him "Springfield Law".)
Chief Wiggum: Well, shut my mouth. It's ALSO illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.
(Shot of Eddie the cop with squirrels running around in his pants, and a bunch of cops watching and laughing) Boys, knock it off!

JMCP

Get Insurance!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 06:58:10 am »

Hi,

you should consider contacting your telephone company as they should have a process whereby you can trace the telephone number from threatening and abusive callers, even if they have tried to block their number,  at least I would think they should have, here in the UK they do although I have never had the cause to use it, but it is a facility available to you if you can prove you are getting these type of calls. Maybe you can also contact your ISP to find out where the emails are coming from.  I would certainly want to know who this crankpot is and would use every legal facility available to me to find the person as they are obviously either very unstable, just plain stupid or maybe even a competitor.

Cheers John

OK thanks for jinxing me.

Long story short - I'm advertising a promotional deal for free 15 min child sittings, in Halloween costumes (see the front page of my blog for the ad) - they just buy prints.  Anyway, tonight I started getting death threats on my phone every few minutes.  At first I thought it was someone with the wrong number or a prank, since I had NO CLUE what this guy was upset about.  I finally got him to speak to me for a few seconds before hanging up by calmly telling him I had no idea what the problem is, do you have the wrong number, etc.  

Long story short after expletives, more threats etc. he tells me that he KNOWS I am a pedophile because im trying to lure children.  Never mind my business, website, other ads that have been running for over a year, etc.  He's an off the rocker redneck.  So after sending more calls straight to VM and recording more death threats, logging emails where he says he's coming tonight, and I better hope the cops get to me before he does, etc.  I get to stay up on sentinel duty.

The Sheriff was 100% useless.  They said he hasn't done anything illegal, there's nothing they can do because he blocked his phone number, etc.  I said to the deputy "sir, I believe death threats are illegal.  He went off for another 2 min speech.  Bottom line was they wouldn't do anything.  I said, alright, so if anything happens, I just want it documented that I called and what's going on (I gave him all the prior details).

The world is a CRAZY place.  If you don't 100% believe there are crazy people everywhere you go that can and will snuff you out for absolutely nothing, you are just plain in denial.

How about we start a thread about winning the lottery now?

Geoff Wittig

Get Insurance!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 08:28:13 am »

Quote from: BruceHouston
Unfortunately, George, I think that you have understood and summarized this aspect of American society quite well.  It appears to be a mindset among many (but certainly not all) Americans.  Guns at home, American guns and soldiers abroad, weapons everywhere to solve all sorts of problems (even economic problems).  By gosh, we'll bomb our way to a democratic world if all else fails, even if it kills us and them (and of course, it does).

I agree with you that violence begets violence.  Once our last teenager is off to college in a couple of years, my wife and I are strongly considering a move to a more peaceful part of the globe.

Bruce

There are still plenty of peaceful places in America, our gun-crazy culture notwithstanding. I definitely second the idea of having a dog; they absolutely deter intruders, essentially risk-free, and provide a few side benefits like companionship besides. Our dog is a terminally affectionate 30 lb. mutt who would eagerly direct any intruder to the silverware if he could; but he barks like a deranged wolfhound when anyone arrives at the house and sounds scary enough that delivery people and Jehova's Witnesses refuse to approach the door (that's a net win!).

Guns? Not so much. Unfortunately there is little room for evidence and logic in discussions on the issue; proponents of arming everyone to the teeth tend not to be swayed by inconvenient facts. In the medical world the data are actually quite clear; firearms are 7 times more likely to be used on yourself or a family member than against an intruder. They vastly increase the risk of suicide or homicide within the household. Whether they reduce the likelihood of being a victim of a crime perpetrated by an intruder is quite uncertain; it depends on which study on the subject you choose to quote, and almost all have serious methodologic problems.

What I can tell you is that as a physician with more than 20 years of clinical experience, I have personally seen at least 8 firearm suicides and three fatal firearm assaults within a household, and exactly zero successful uses of firearms for home defense. If your goal is minimizing the risk of violent demise for you and your family, you are clearly better off without firearms in the home.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Get Insurance!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 08:44:50 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
He isn't interested unless there's a body?  Nice.  Good luck with the vigil.

Chief Wiggum: I'd like to help you ma'am, but, heh heh, I'm afraid there's no law against mailing threatening letters.
Marge: (indignantly) I'm pretty sure there is.
Chief Wiggum: Hah! The day I take cop lessons from Ma Kettle --
Lou: Hey, she's right, Chief. (shows him "Springfield Law".)
Chief Wiggum: Well, shut my mouth. It's ALSO illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.
(Shot of Eddie the cop with squirrels running around in his pants, and a bunch of cops watching and laughing) Boys, knock it off!

You wouldn't believe how useless police around here are, at least compared to Michigan.  

Luckily, the night was uneventful - except for me being dead tired.  

I'm going to give the cops one more chance, since I now have the guys name.  He was stupid enough to send me an email from his real account, and I found a listing for him locally.

kaelaria

Get Insurance!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 08:47:51 am »

Quote from: JMCP
Hi,

you should consider contacting your telephone company as they should have a process whereby you can trace the telephone number from threatening and abusive callers, even if they have tried to block their number,  at least I would think they should have, here in the UK they do although I have never had the cause to use it, but it is a facility available to you if you can prove you are getting these type of calls. Maybe you can also contact your ISP to find out where the emails are coming from.  I would certainly want to know who this crankpot is and would use every legal facility available to me to find the person as they are obviously either very unstable, just plain stupid or maybe even a competitor.

Cheers John

Thank you for the advice.  Unfortunately that's not how it works here, especially with cellular carriers.

Yes I already contacted the ISP he sent his email through (yahoo).  I fully expect them to say the same thing the cellular carrier did - there is nothing they can do without a court order.

Misirlou

• http://
Get Insurance!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 10:43:30 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
There are still plenty of peaceful places in America, our gun-crazy culture notwithstanding. I definitely second the idea of having a dog; they absolutely deter intruders, essentially risk-free, and provide a few side benefits like companionship besides. Our dog is a terminally affectionate 30 lb. mutt who would eagerly direct any intruder to the silverware if he could; but he barks like a deranged wolfhound when anyone arrives at the house and sounds scary enough that delivery people and Jehova's Witnesses refuse to approach the door (that's a net win!).

Guns? Not so much. Unfortunately there is little room for evidence and logic in discussions on the issue; proponents of arming everyone to the teeth tend not to be swayed by inconvenient facts. In the medical world the data are actually quite clear; firearms are 7 times more likely to be used on yourself or a family member than against an intruder. They vastly increase the risk of suicide or homicide within the household. Whether they reduce the likelihood of being a victim of a crime perpetrated by an intruder is quite uncertain; it depends on which study on the subject you choose to quote, and almost all have serious methodologic problems.

What I can tell you is that as a physician with more than 20 years of clinical experience, I have personally seen at least 8 firearm suicides and three fatal firearm assaults within a household, and exactly zero successful uses of firearms for home defense. If your goal is minimizing the risk of violent demise for you and your family, you are clearly better off without firearms in the home.

My problem with your "inconvenient" facts is that you wouldn't have seen instances of guns being used to prevent attacks without having been fired. One time in DC, I chased off a mugger by letting him know that I was reaching for a pistol. Never fired a shot, and in fact, I didn't actually have a pistol. I just made the bastard think I did. How many burglers are frightened away by the sound of a shtogun merely being pumped? That would never be figured into your numbers, or by those who study the problem. It's not uncommon in western states to see folks carrying guns openly at some circumstances. No shots fired, no crime either.

If you want to know what deters a criminal, ask one. They will always say they won't go after someone they expect to be armed. They'll also tell you a dog is probably the best thing you can have to protect your home.

kaelaria

Get Insurance!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 10:47:43 am »

+1 to the above.  

BTW here is my mystery winner.  Even through he's emailing me (stupid enough to do it with his real name in the header) our worthless Sheriff won't do ANYTHING because the death threats are only by phone, not in writing.  The email threats are one stop shy to be illegal here.  I can not fathom why death or any other kind of threat over a phone is not illegal.  But, hey, I'm just going through the motions.  I don't ever expect to count on our wonderful police force here for anything other than after the fact paperwork.

http://www.pascosheriff.com/webapps/IMS500...4&rnd=90066

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
Get Insurance!
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:17:37 pm »

+1 to the above.  

BTW here is my mystery winner.  Even through he's emailing me (stupid enough to do it with his real name in the header) our worthless Sheriff won't do ANYTHING because the death threats are only by phone, not in writing.  The email threats are one stop shy to be illegal here.  I can not fathom why death or any other kind of threat over a phone is not illegal.  But, hey, I'm just going through the motions.  I don't ever expect to count on our wonderful police force here for anything other than after the fact paperwork.

Yours is another case in favor of carrying a gun -- if the police won't protect you, who will?

spidermike

Get Insurance!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 04:13:26 am »

+1 to the above.  

So in Florida they post on the internet the charge sheet of anyone suspected of a crime? That's scary! (i live in the UK by the way)

"The data on this site provides only arrest and booking information and should not be relied upon to determine an individual's actual criminal record".Cr@p. Who is going to read that and thisk 'he's a nice bloke really'.

I don't intend to hikack the thread with a discussion on global police practices - I'm just surprised what you can get on the net these days.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:14:38 am by spidermike »

kaelaria

Get Insurance!
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 08:03:24 am »

Quote from: spidermike
So in Florida they post on the internet the charge sheet of anyone suspected of a crime? That's scary! (i live in the UK by the way)

"The data on this site provides only arrest and booking information and should not be relied upon to determine an individual's actual criminal record".Cr@p. Who is going to read that and thisk 'he's a nice bloke really'.

I don't intend to hikack the thread with a discussion on global police practices - I'm just surprised what you can get on the net these days.

No not suspected - Charged.

The highlighted quote simply means you need to request the full history in person, it is not available on this site.

I'm glad you aren't trying to suggest your UK system is somehow better than anyone else.  Considering the recent press the case the photographer found guilty of a crime for taking the picture of a puking drunk in public is garnishing.

spidermike

Get Insurance!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 04:03:02 am »

No not suspected - Charged.

The highlighted quote simply means you need to request the full history in person, it is not available on this site.

I'm glad you aren't trying to suggest your UK system is somehow better than anyone else.  Considering the recent press the case the photographer found guilty of a crime for taking the picture of a puking drunk in public is garnishing.

'Charged' does not mean 'guilty' and the perons only has a criminal record when found guilty (as the quote I referenced makes quite clear). I am not defending the guy here, just questioning the practice.
And referring to the UK case, you quote, the photographer was found guilty. So there is no relevance.
As I say I don't want to detract from the awful circumsatnces of the OP so I prefer not to continue this discussion in this particular thread.

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
Get Insurance!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 04:30:16 pm »

I'm so sorry to read what happened to you Proctor.  I hope you and your wife can recover from this traumatic and unconscionable violation.  Thank you for posting your experience and words of advice.

Unfortunately, I think this thread has taken a wrong turn:

Quote from: Misirlou
This year, nearly 1,000 people have been killed in Juarez, Mexico, only an hour's drive from here. It's a strugle between rival gangs to control the flow of drugs. Recently, some of the drug gangs have even sent hit squads acrosss the border to take out US and Mexican citizens.

Yes, I have read about that, but El Paso is considerably closer to Juarez and it's the third safest city in the United States with a murder rate of 2.3 per 100,000 (that's about half the national average).  The drug dealers love easy access to weapons and are completely undeterred by whether you have one or not; they are even undeterred by the fact that when they are invariably shooting one another, they're all armed.

Quote from: Misirlou
It's not uncommon in western states to see folks carrying guns openly at some circumstances. No shots fired, no crime either.

If you want to know what deters a criminal, ask one. They will always say they won't go after someone they expect to be armed. They'll also tell you a dog is probably the best thing you can have to protect your home.

From what I see, gangbangers are heavily armed, and they are the most likely (by many, many orders of magnitude) to be killed in our society.  I used to have guns when I lived in the country, they were stolen when I moved to a gang infested city; that's another problem with guns, they are the number one target of burglars and end up in the hands of the criminals.

In the United States suicides outnumber homicides by 5 to 3.  You are considerably more likely to use a gun on yourself than have one used against you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up