Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 and MacPro 2.66 with 1900 video card. Will the GPU...  (Read 1421 times)

hassiman

CS4 and MacPro 2.66 with 1900 video card. Will the GPU...
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »

Hi,

I have a MacPro 2.66 dual-core Xeon running Leopard.  When I got the machine I ordered the upgraded 1900 video card.  I have heard that the new CS4 is designed to take advantage of the GPU as well as the CPU.  Is the 1900 video card in my MacPro powerful enough to make a difference in the speed of CS4 over CS3?

I also heard that althought CS4 will run 64Bit on Windows it will not yet do so no MAC.  Will Adobe offer an update to allow 64 bit operation on my MacPro at some later date or will it be a paid upgrade?  

Is CS4 worth the cost of upgrading from CS3?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS4 and MacPro 2.66 with 1900 video card. Will the GPU...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:37:54 pm »

Quote from: hassiman
I also heard that althought CS4 will run 64Bit on Windows it will not yet do so no MAC.  Will Adobe offer an update to allow 64 bit operation on my MacPro at some later date or will it be a paid upgrade?

That would be Photoshop CS5 at the earliest...and this is not Adobe's fault but Apple's fault. Apple killed the promised 64 bit Carbon libraries (a year after Apple promised developers they WOULD do Carbon 64).

You don't take 4 million+ lines of code and switch from one set of APIs to another completely different set of APIs overnight. The project to write Photoshop for Cocoa (the only set of APIs that Apple developed 64 bit libraries for) is truly massive. One can only hope Adobe gets it done for Photoshop CS5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up