Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo WRS-1000 vs Horseman SW-D II Pro  (Read 9005 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Cambo WRS-1000 vs Horseman SW-D II Pro
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:47:17 am »

I'm looking for a system, which I can use for some architecture and landscape work. So it should still be quite small. I looked at all different solutions during my visit to the Photokina and the two which I think fit best are the Cambo WRS-1000 or the Horseman SW-D II Pro. Something like the an Alpa MAX would be even greater, but right now that is just a little to expensive.

So what do I have to look for in these two cameras ? What are main differences ? I think the lenses are costing more on the Cambo is that correct ? (why?)  Also I was told that the MFDB+camera+lenses has to go to Horseman for a calibration, is that the same for the cambo solution?

The next question is about lenses. I was thinking about getting two in the beginning. One around 30-40 and one longer. Is there a real difference between the Schneider 35Xl and the new Rodenstock HR 40?  
In addition, what would be a good longer lens ? I think the Schneider 47XL is to close, so I was thinking about the Rodenstock HR 70 or Schneider 72L ? Any opinions here ?

MFDB will probably be a P45+

Thanks for the help.

Christopher
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:20:14 am »

Quote from: Christopher
What are main differences ?
I think the cameras are quite similar.

Main differences are

- movements:
SWD-II: Shift rise/fall/left/right each 17mm -> http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital/img3/SWD2_mv.jpg
WRS1000: 20mm left/right, 15mm rise and 25mm fall
So the WRS1000 allows extended movements.
Especially the 25mm fall are fine for architecture. At 25mm you will lose significantly sharpness... but if there is just the sky in the scene (e.g. above a building) you don't need that much sharpness at 25mm shift. And if the building itlself ends somewhere between 15mm and 20mm shift that will be fine (reasonable explained?).

- handling:
SWD-II: lock-knobs to adjust the back. If you unlock the back you move it free with your hands.
This is a bit loose for me personally - but it's extremely fast!
WRS1000: all movements are done with fine adjusting screws. Smoother to adjust but slower.

Both have individual lens panels. But I think you can use all the digital Schneider and Rodenstock on both cameras (on the WRS you can).

If you want to use Rodenstock you should use the HR lenses. Resolution of the non-HR lenses does not match the P45 with its 6.8microns pixels (at least the Apo Sironar Digital 35 I checked was poor at the edges).
The HR are probably the superior lenses compared to the Schneider Digitar. But according to the smaller image circle movements are limited (but still give something around 12 or 14mm shift wide open... search for post of "rainer_v").
Nevertheless, the Schneider match the resolution of the P45 very well - with shift up to 18mm and even 20mm they still hold edge sharpness good enough (at least the 47XL does).
So I think with regard to highest IQ go for the HR, with regard to still very high IQ but wider movements go for the Schneider. Too, there is the price to consider.

michele

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:24:15 am »

I'm not sure you can use in the Horseman all the lenses you want, perhaps you can mount on it just 24-35-45-55... A part the 24, the others are pretty poor for the P45, they are made to have big coverage and for scanning back like BetterLight... With the Cambo you can mount whatever lens you want... If I were you, I'd think about using long lenses with a Cambo or Horseman...remember that you can use a ground glass, but it's very difficult check a razor focus; of course if you just shot at infinity no problem, but what if you need a closer focus? You need a live view mode...

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:32:41 am »

Christopher,

Take a look at this thread here on LL:   http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=26695  
It will give you some other shooters opinions on what the Cambo RS offers.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

samuel_js

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:46 pm »

Does anyone knows the price of both systems with 35mm lens and view finder? Is the Cambo really much more expensive and a better camera?

Thanks

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:18:39 pm »

Quote from: samuel_js
Is the Cambo really much more expensive and a better camera?
By a quick search I found this: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P...Horseman-SWD-II
So from the list the cameras seem to be priced similar; the Cambo is probably a little bit more expensive. Too, depends on the accessories as you buy and pay every component separately.
Better? To me personally yes. Bulitquality is not comparable to Alpa or Sinar but compared to the SW-D the Cambo just feels more solid and precise to me and I prefer the adjustment screws for movements. Then the enhanced movements (40mm each with the WRS instead of 34mm each with the SW-D). But users of the Horseman may disagree.
For handheld (maybe not really important...) the advantage is clearly for the WRS.
As far as I remember the attachable finder of the Horseman is slightly better (as long as you can tell good from bad for these finders; the Alpa finder is "good") but the masks of the Horseman have no scale (just the sensor frame) as far as I know.
Lenses: with the WRS you can use all Rodenstock HR and Schneider Digitar from 23mm to 120mm.
I don't know the longest possible lens for the Horseman but as listed in the link above you can't just mount Rodenstock but the Schneider, too (at least the 24XL is in the list).

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:24 pm »

And Cambo also has a lens mounting service. They will convert any lens - within the physical limitations of the mount - into a Cambo mount. Rene Rook at Cambo is very prompt in replying to emails.

Cheers,
Kumar
Pages: [1]   Go Up