Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy almost buy new printer  (Read 3610 times)

Bas Stekelenburg

• http://
New guy almost buy new printer
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:20:03 pm »

I promised to keep you informed about my choice for a professional 24”, and I am close to go for the Z3200. But close is not yet to the spot.
The Z3200 is now available here, that’s an important reason. Nice to wait for some future Super so and so printer but this one is in stock now.
Many of you gave very positive advises towards the Z3100 which is not longer available, and the  minor criticism I noticed was about the star wheels / glossy paper handling problems and the not too well saturated color red. Both issues are fixed in the Z3200, among other things like an 18% speed increase and easy importing and exporting of profiles.
Reading the most recent topics made me think again, Vlad3 with utility problems after installing new Z3100 firmware, Jim Cole with GE insufficiencies after an empty Photo Black cartridge, and some really angry Z3100 users, unhappy with the fact that HP let you buy a new printer instead of upgrading the Z3100 with new chroma red, on top of many complaints about the way HP handles the problems and remarks of real world photographers and printers.
So better go for Epson or Canon?
I’m happy that Neil Snape advises to include an Epson 7900, but, like Jeff Schewe said (being an insider), “do not ask me for price and time of delivery”… Both men know more than I do, and between the lines I can smell their enthusiasm for the new Epson 900 series.
Many happy Canon users too, both 5100 and 6100 but I must add on the cost of a 6100 a decent spectro, not to stick in canned or to be bought profiles. Besides, when the 6200 is here (not yet), the 6100 will be down priced considerably.

I can use some reinforcement with my decision. It is an enormous amount of money on a small budget ( I pay more in Euro’s excluding tax, than my US colleagues in Dollars) and I cannot afford to make the wrong choice. After receiving the Z3200, I might be puzzled with things for which I would better ask the forum then the representative for help. May I? At the other hand I might gain experience in a new product of which I am more than happy to share it with each and every one of you.

Please let me hear you loud.

Bas

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:07 pm »

Bas,

Which printer is going to be the easiest for you to get service for?  Will all of them be able to make house calls easily during the warranty period?

From my perspective all the printers you're contemplating will serve you well.  You're almost to the point where you'll be debating Canon vs Nikon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:56:07 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Bas Stekelenburg

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »

Good to hear that the differences between the three brands are small, Ron.

I have to find out about service etc. but I can buy a three year warranty extension on the HP.
I assume all brands make house calls on hardware errors, the naked HP is 65 kilo's and packed 100+.
Bas

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:37 pm »

Bas,

Purely judged on recent posts in this LL forum (dangerous):
- specific HP users are more vocal about their problems and these problems are isolated.
- or HP software seems to be generally less stable

Just want to say: be carefull about interpreting responses on a webforum.

The other piece of advise I can give: go see the printers in real life, get it demonstrated to you, don't blindly do mailorder, too much money involved.

cheers from a "happy iPF5100 camper",

Huib

(3 firmware updates, 2 driver/utilities software update and never had any software or hardware hickup since buying the printer 8 month ago)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:11:24 pm by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Bas Stekelenburg

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 06:15:56 pm »

Hi Huib!
Difficult to see one running here, the Z3200 is new to all of us, and around me Epson only or Epson and Canon at the best are in shops to demonstrate, no HP.
I know you're a happy Canon user; hope to share your happiness with my Epson, Canon or HP...
Bas

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 06:29:02 pm »

Bas,

Even with the disappointing ink cartridge change (one other user reported a two cartridge changeout with no problem) I still am very happy with the Z3100. If I lose an occasional print during an ink changeout, it is no big deal as the operational costs of this printer are amazingly low. I produce my own images for sale on both matte and satin HP papers (some B&W on Ilford Gold Silk and Epson Exhibition fiber) and just started doing fine art repro work for a few artists and have printed on Brilliance Chromata White canvas for these artists with superb results. I do use APS to make my profiles. I have had good service with HP support (a little confusion with part numbers once or twice, but quickly remedied) where the tech has to drive 2 1/2 hours each way to get here. I know other people have has support nightmares and others, depending on their printing requirements, have had issues with the red gamut, but I have yet to run into a landscape or nature photo of mine that I could not reproduce better than I was getting with Lightjet or Chromira processes or the older generation of Epson printers (x600 series) that were being used by pro services when I was using them up to two years ago before I bought my Z3100. I have paid for my 44" printer several times over in the 1 year and 8 months years I have owned it and can be counted in the "happy users" group. I am happy enough with this printer that I do not even covet the new Z3200 with the list of improvements it brings.

I just wanted to clarify that the issue with the ink cartridge changeout was a "disappointment" and not a reason that someone wanting this printer should shy away from it. I stil have hopes that I may have waited too long to notice that "Ink Out" warning and that the ink had too long to dry before the new ink was laid down. It will still require some more experiences from me before I am able to say weather the new firmware function works as advertised. I have a feeling that it will. I posted the thread to see what other people had experienced and so far have seen only one response and that was a positive one.

Anyway, good luck with whatever printer you buy. They are all incredible pieces of technology and all will make fine prints.

Jim
www.jimcolephoto.com
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Bas Stekelenburg

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:41:45 pm »

Thanks Jim, you cleared the air with respect to the cartridge swap, and I wrote down what you said about the fine art paper, the Brilliance Chromata White canvas (what brand?).
However, I planned to order the 24"without APS, does it make a (great) difference in profiling?

Bas

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 06:49:51 pm »

Quote from: HasselBas
Thanks Jim, you cleared the air with respect to the cartridge swap, and I wrote down what you said about the fine art paper, the Brilliance Chromata White canvas (what brand?).
However, I planned to order the 24"without APS, does it make a (great) difference in profiling?

Bas

Glad it helped. The canvas is by Breathing Color. It is only available directly through the manufacturer at www.breathingcolor.com. I had read a lot of very positive comments about this canvas before I tried it. So far I am very happy with it.

I definitely think the APS makes beter profiles, but since it is available as an option, you can always add it later after you have determined that you need it. I think I read that the Z3200 without APS makes very good profiles...as good as the Z3100 with APS. I would wait on it.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up