Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking the diffraction limit  (Read 3044 times)

bjanes

Breaking the diffraction limit
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:50:23 am »

We photographers often avoid small apertures to avoid loss of resolution from diffraction,  and the diffraction problem often comes up when new full frame sensors with a high pixel density is discussed (even though the diffraction limit is not related to the pixel pitch). Previous threads in this forum have discussed how superlenses can circumvent the diffraction limit through the use of lenses whose elements have a negative index of refraction. Unfortunately, photographic lenses with elements having a negative index of refraction are not yet available. Another approach to avoid the diffraction limit involves the use of wavefront coding and image restoration using deconvolution. This technology is already employed for cell phone cameras.

A recent scientific paper describes how wavefront coding and post processing with a deconvolution filter can be used to break the diffraction limit in an optical system. Unfortunately, specially designed lenses (sometimes with a phase plate placed in the optical system) are required and the method is not ready for use with your Nikon or Canon camera lenses. Another problem with single lens reflex cameras is that the wavefront coded image appears blurred before it is post processed.

It is interesting to note that the effects of defocus and diffraction are related and often considered together, as discussed by David Jacobson in his lens tutorial (see section V). It is reasonable to assume that methods to reduce defocus blur would also be useful in reducing diffraction blur, and it is possible that a diffraction limited image taken by an existing camera could be improved with a deconvolution filter such as FocusMagic or the Lucy-Richardson deconvolution. Determining the point spread function (PSP) necessary to undo the image degradation can be difficult, but sometimes an empirically determined PSP works reasonably well. Some photographers are already using FocusMagic or similar algorithms for capture sharpening. Has anyone tried such methods on diffracted images taken with small apertures? In this case, I would expect that a high pixel density such as in the 1DsMIII would provide a better image for deconvolution.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:59:01 am by bjanes »

Ray

Breaking the diffraction limit
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:41 am »

Bill,
I still use Focus Magic. I've just spent a bit of time comparing my new 50D with my 5D, using my Canon 100-400 IS zoom at 400mm, just to check at which aperture there ceases to be any noticeable improvement in detail.

For all practical purposes, F32 would appear to be the cut-off point where no additional detail can be seen.

Below are 200% crops of an F22 shot with default ACR sharpening, and an F32 shot with ACR default sharpening plus 100% sharpening with Focus Magic at 5 pixels blur width, auto-detected. One can see in the F22 shot the vertical stripes in the curtains, the brickwork of the window sill, and the vertical struts of a fence, bottom right corner, all of which are hardly visible in the F32 shot despite agressive sharpening with Focus Magic.

[attachment=8714:F32_with...rsus_F22.jpg]
Pages: [1]   Go Up