Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson "Teaser" Marketing Postcard  (Read 4901 times)

BruceHouston

Epson "Teaser" Marketing Postcard
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »

I received an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 marketing card in the mail today with a URL to go to and "find out all about it."  However, the URL dead-ends to a marketing information collection and contest entry form.  I can find no further link to any information about the 7900 whatsoever.

I suppose that will follow once Epson assembles a more targeted marketing list.  

I wish that they would spill the beans and show the beef, to jumble metaphors.  I am a serious potential customer.

And we don't seem to be squeezing anything out of Jeff Schewe, either.    

Bruce

Doombrain

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:50:56 pm »

It's no longer NDA. it's been shown at several different shows to date, I even have the canned ICCs.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 02:57:12 pm »

Quote from: BruceHouston
And we don't seem to be squeezing anything out of Jeff Schewe, either.  

Well, you haven't bothered to ASK any questions...just don't ask me about final price and shipping dates–that's above my pay grade. But you can ask just about anything else...

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:39:29 pm »

Any word on a replacement for the Epson 3800? I have an Epson R2400 and with my Canon 1DsMkIII, I'm itching to make prints bigger the 11x14 standard size.

Perhaps there will be something new at PhotoPlus Expo in NYC later this month.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:39:49 pm by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:46:14 pm »

Well, I'll ask. I know I keep seeing that the new printer's are aimed at the proofing market. But is there any reason why the artist or photographer would not benefit from them. The main issue they want it for is not having to switch between the two blacks. Would there be any reason for a photographer or artist not to buy one these printers?

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »

Don't think there is any reason for a photog not to buy into the X900 machines.  Green and orange should add significantly to the gamut.

But there is a reason anyone (photog /commercial printer / artist) should consider.
I do think a major question to the considered is the ink life-span.  With the X900 machines using 350ml or 700 ml carts /  - will the expiration date(s) also be limited to 6 months?  If so, and with the average 24" X 36" print (864 sq. in.) using approx. 8.6 to 9ml of ink - that a lot of prints that one has to crank out to use a full set of 11X350 or 11X700 ink carts every 6 months.  The idea of getting such a fine machine - and limiting using it to 110ml carts / < prints per month - isn't all that appealing both in terms of ink cost and possible clogging from not enough use.
Any thoughts about this?

titusbear

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:29:43 pm »

think it's appropriate (given the two new inks) that the post card highlights vivid green and orange rust on the pick-up truck - looks pretty fine.

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
The main issue they want it for is not having to switch between the two blacks.

That's not a real reason. The real reason is the substantially improved image quality with the new 10 color inkset (notably larger gamut), and the all new math for dither. The fact that the printer is also up to 1.8X faster than the 880 series helps too.

While designed for the proofing market, everything that market wants, the photo market also wants with the possible exception being the spectro because it's a one trick pony designed for the proofing industry. A photographer would be better off spending a bit less money and getting something like the Eye One for a more practical devise.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 07:46:36 pm »

Quote from: titusbear
Don't think there is any reason for a photog not to buy into the X900 machines.  Green and orange should add significantly to the gamut.

But there is a reason anyone (photog /commercial printer / artist) should consider.
I do think a major question to the considered is the ink life-span.  With the X900 machines using 350ml or 700 ml carts /  - will the expiration date(s) also be limited to 6 months?  If so, and with the average 24" X 36" print (864 sq. in.) using approx. 8.6 to 9ml of ink - that a lot of prints that one has to crank out to use a full set of 11X350 or 11X700 ink carts every 6 months.  The idea of getting such a fine machine - and limiting using it to 110ml carts / < prints per month - isn't all that appealing both in terms of ink cost and possible clogging from not enough use.
Any thoughts about this?

I am currently using an 11880 with cartridges that have been in for over 10 months.  They are all still a long way from empty.  I remove each side of inks once a month, turn them over as a group, gently agitate for a couple of minutes and re-install.

So far, no issues at all.  I've had the printer nearly 1 year with only 2 minor clogs, each which required cleaning of only 1 channel (2 colors), not entire head.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:47:20 pm by Wayne Fox »

JimGoshorn

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 08:35:43 pm »

Jeff,

Are there certain colors in the gamut that have been increased or is there an overall increase?

Thanks!

titusbear

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 09:19:15 pm »

that's good news to hear re: 10 months with periodic agitation.  If you're still 'a long way from empty" using 700ml carts - then 350 ml carts sound like a safe bet for someone printing on a smaller volume scale.

Any idea if the X900's will use the same pressurized cart. technology as the 11880? I can see how a pressurized cart might last > months beyond the '6 months after opening' criteria - but will Epson use them on the smaller carriage-sized 24" & 44" models (it is my understanding that the only reason they're on the 11880 is to help the ink flow through the longer lengths of tubing).

JimGoshorn

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:29 am »

Quote from: titusbear
Any idea if the X900's will use the same pressurized cart. technology as the 11880?

The PDF on the 7900 I have indicates that the printer has a pressurized I/C system. The 11880 brochure indicates pressurized intelligent cartridges. Since the 7900 has some of the 11880 technology such as head and cleaning technology in it, it sounds like it would be the same cartridge technology as well.

BruceHouston

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:55:47 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Well, you haven't bothered to ASK any questions...just don't ask me about final price and shipping dates–that's above my pay grade. But you can ask just about anything else...

Hi Jeff,

Have you or are you using either the 7900 or 9900?  If so, could you offer your general impressions of the new machines, based on your actual experience (as opposed to marketing language)?  I would be especially interested in your personal impressions of the new machines as compared to your experience with the x880 family.

Many thanks,
Bruce

Schewe

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:24 pm »

I would be especially interested in your personal impressions of the new machines as compared to your experience with the x880 family.

Bigger gamut, better color, deeper D-max, sharper detail, faster, bigger and much heavier.

BruceHouston

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:54 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Bigger gamut, better color, deeper D-max, sharper detail, faster, bigger and much heavier.

Thanks Jeff.  I really look forward to seeing and using the 7900.

I hope to meet you at the Dallas Print Academy, if you are teaching at that one.

Best,
Bruce

Schewe

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:03 pm »

I hope to meet you at the Dallas Print Academy, if you are teaching at that one.

Yep...and we'll have a 7900 with prints coming out of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up