Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Upgrades  (Read 18339 times)

gerk

• http://
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 03:54:17 pm »

I had a couple of problems initially but I cleared my browser cache and removed the cookies for this forum and it works fine now.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:05 pm »

Yep! That works in Firefox - thanks Mark!

stamper

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 05:03:34 am »

Quote from: gerk
I had a couple of problems initially but I cleared my browser cache and removed the cookies for this forum and it works fine now.

An "upgrade" I would like to see is the forum for ....... Discussions regarding Photoshop and other image processing topics .......to be just that! In my mind it is for Photoshop subjects ........ such as how to use layers, sharpening, etc etc. Not about drivers for Artisan monitors and processing speed and ram. These are computer problems. Should there not be a forum for that. Moderator please take note!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 10:11:04 am »

Quote from: stamper
An "upgrade" I would like to see is the forum for ....... Discussions regarding Photoshop and other image processing topics .......to be just that! In my mind it is for Photoshop subjects ........ such as how to use layers, sharpening, etc etc. Not about drivers for Artisan monitors and processing speed and ram. These are computer problems. Should there not be a forum for that. Moderator please take note!
see this thread

scottish

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 04:52:33 pm »

Quote from: HiltonP
I'm another one who is being prompted to logon every day.

I always use the "view new posts" option, which is when I now get the logon prompt.
I then select this thread, and when I want to post this message I am prompted to logon again.

Sometimes logging on via the top/right box does not work, and it kicks me out to the full screen logon page, but this is not consistent, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some days it won't let me logon at all, but if I return a few hours later I am successful.

I've done the whole delete cookies thing. I've even cleared LL completely from my Favourites, cleared all temp files, and re-loaded LL, still no joy. It just cannot seem to remember me.

Never had any of these issues prior to the recent changes. Been a member for years.

Thank you for documenting the problem in detail, as I'm experiencing the same thing.  I haven't deleted LL from my Bookmarks but did all the other steps you mentioned.  In Firefox, I also went to the list of site exceptions (Tools->Options->Privacy->Exceptions) and deleted Luminous Landscape.  No change.

When I unchecked "Accept third-party cookies," the message board wouldn't remember me at all.  I'm wondering if there is a cookie involved that's not coming from the luminous-landscape.com domain, but so far I haven't been able to locate it.  It's almost as if a cookie is expiring too fast.
Aloha,
Scott

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:48 pm »

Remove _all_ the L-L cookies (there should be quite a few).
They will be replaced once you log back in.

scottish

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »

Quote from: Chrissand
Remove _all_ the L-L cookies (there should be quite a few).
They will be replaced once you log back in.

Thanks, Chris.  I have done so, but the problem persists.
Aloha,
Scott

Anthony R

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 09:41:03 pm »

Quote from: scottish
Thanks, Chris.  I have done so, but the problem persists.

ditto

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 11:38:42 pm »

Folks with problems might want to try the Opera browser. I have had zero problems with the new forum upgrade under Opera. I use Firefox for websites that misbehave under Opera, but LL and the forum seem to do just fine with Opera (on a PC running Vista 32).
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mguertin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 11:47:09 pm »

Near the bottom of the main forum page there is a link that says "Delete cookies set by this board" ... for the users that are still having problems please try using this link to delete all of the cookies.  Then _immediately_ quit your browser (might not be a bad idea to reboot your machine as well to ensure nothing persists) and try coming back and logging in.

If you're still having problems after you've done this them more details about which browsers and OSes you're using might be in order ...

I've tested ok on:

Windows XP IE6, IE7, IE8 (beta 2), Firefox 2.x and 3.x, Safari 3.x
Windows Vista IE7, IE8, FF 2.x and 3.x, Safari 3.x
OSX 10.4.x and 10.5.x, Firefox 2.x and 3.x, Safari 2.x and 3.x

All working ok here.  I don't usually test Opera (because it usually behaves pretty well!) but glad to hear it's working fine there too.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »

Try deleting your temp internet files (go into IE, Tools), also make sure your cache is set to a reasonable number like 20MB.

Try deleting your user temp directory c:\documents and settings\username\local files\temp

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:46 am »

I've have clicked on LL's "clear cookies" option, I have cleared them via the browser, I have cleared all temp files . . . I've pretty much cleared everything which can possibly be cleared, to the extent that I had to re-logon to all my other frequented websites, all of which continue to log me on without issue, except the new LL.

I have loaded FIREFOX, and the logon problem still lingers . . . the site just does not seem to "hold" my logon details, even within the same session. To get to this reply box I was prompted to logon, despite being shown as logged on.

My typical LL experience is . . .
Bring up the website (it will not log me in automatically)
I log myself on.
I click on "view new topics" and am prompted to logon again.
I browse the threads, if I choose to reply I am prompted to logon again (tells me the menu is disabled?).
When I press OK to my reply I am prompted yet again to logon.

The last two points can occur numerous times. With this particular reply I am now on my 10th attempt. It might take more. There is some semblence of memory since my username and password are always shown in the appropriate login boxes, but I am not logged in. When I am successful in posting a reply it returns me to the board as being "logged out"!

I draw your attention to an earlier point . . .

"I frequent about 25 different discussion forums in any one week, and have done for the past 10 years or more. No logon problems on any of them, bar one (just two months ago), and I've just noticed a common denominator . . . both are "IP Board", and both upgraded recently."

Something has changed in IP Board's LL logon settings. I had no problems logging on to LL prior to the recent upgrade. I have no problems with any other of my frequented websites. It shouldn't be a peak load/traffic issue because I am about 9 time zones away.

Of course I haven't ruled out the possibility that the LL board is, politely, trying to tell me to sod off! But thusfar I have retained my sense of humour, and a degree of patience . . . albeit somewhat thinner!
Regards, HILTON

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:23 am »

Could you try turning off the "Stronghold Cookie"?
Regards, HILTON

Anthony R

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2008, 12:37:54 pm »

WTF? Why does the cookie expire immediately? Edit, I see that it expires in a year, but maybe there is some code that needs to read 2009 and instead reads 2008? I'm still having to relog in a million times a day using a Mac Pro and a PowerMac and Safari.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:39:06 pm by Anthony R »

mguertin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2008, 04:00:28 pm »

Quote from: Anthony R
WTF? Why does the cookie expire immediately? Edit, I see that it expires in a year, but maybe there is some code that needs to read 2009 and instead reads 2008? I'm still having to relog in a million times a day using a Mac Pro and a PowerMac and Safari.

Just a guess, but looking at the "forum_read" cookie it looks to be quite old... not sure if this is where the trip up is being caused.  I've still not had any issues at all with things here and have tested quite extensively with multiple accounts/browsers, etc.

2 things I can suggest to try if you haven't done so already.  First make sure the time and timezone on your computer are set correctly (using an ntp server/allowing OS to set from a server is best for this).  Also not sure if it makes any kind of difference but check to see that your timezone setting in your forum profile matches your timezone set on your machine.  You can find this in "My Controls" -> Options -> Board Settings.

These are just grasping at straws as I can't reproduce the issues and for most people clearing out any older/leftover cookies solved this.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2008, 03:32:51 am »

Quote from: EricM
Folks with problems might want to try the Opera browser. I have had zero problems with the new forum upgrade under Opera. I use Firefox for websites that misbehave under Opera, but LL and the forum seem to do just fine with Opera (on a PC running Vista 32).
I'm an Opera user and although I have less issues than others I still need to login each time if I close LL tabs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:34:16 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up