Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Upgrades  (Read 18341 times)

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 09:51:28 pm »

I RTFM, and I was trying all the possible options to search for P3, and like kaelaria, I couldn't get meaningful results. Through the Google search on the main page, there are 370 results for P3, and at least the first two pages have exactly what I was looking for. I hope you can do something about it.

Thanks,
Kumar

mguertin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 10:14:10 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
I hope your boss doesn't fall for the BS you guys tell them when you say things like 'it's not possible' 'it doesn't work that way'.  You clearly (to those of us that REALLY DO KNOW what we are talking about) don't have clue one.

Here's the bottom line - the search here (and on most forums) is not setup correctly to provide meaningful searches.  In some cases it is not possible given server limitations or software limitations.  It IS very easy to add google search.  To the bosses here, PLEASE get some other opinions and don't simply rely on this 'expert'.

I'm sorry in advance if anyone thinks this is rude.  It just pisses me off when an admin acts in such a way to the users, especially when they are clearly in the wrong.  Telling that guy to RTFM was simply uncalled for.

In regards to the RTFM comment I was referring to the "Advanced Usage Help" text that gives pointers that answer the exact question the user was asking and was in no way trying to be rude to the user in question, but trying to point out a resource that they were likely unaware of.  I also wasn't trying to say that this forum's search was better than google's search, so I'm not sure where that whole rant came from.

As for "thinking" it was rude I'm not sure how else it could be taken it as it was a personal attack against me and my professional ability with an aside telling Michael that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I'll walk away from the rest of the comments.  Your response was completely uncalled for.

DarkPenguin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:21:39 pm »

Kumar

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 10:37:20 pm »

Quote from: mguertin
In regards to the RTFM comment I was referring to the "Advanced Usage Help" text that gives pointers that answer the exact question the user was asking and was in no way trying to be rude to the user in question, but trying to point out a resource that they were likely unaware of.  I also wasn't trying to say that this forum's search was better than google's search, so I'm not sure where that whole rant came from.

As for "thinking" it was rude I'm not sure how else it could be taken it as it was a personal attack against me and my professional ability with an aside telling Michael that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I'll walk away from the rest of the comments.  Your response was completely uncalled for.

Okay mguertin, let's drop the other stuff. Please tell me how I can search for P3 on the forum, without having to go to the LL main page and go through Google. And if it isn't possible right now, can it be done? And while we're talking about that, I wonder if the background color on the Google results page can be changed. I'm not sure about others, but I find it a little difficult to read the colored text on a black background.

Thanks again,
Kumar

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:02:02 am »

I use Safari and have cleared my cache (which was the source of some minor misbehavior), but find that about half of the time the new forum does not automatically log me in like it used to.  And yes, I do have the "remember me" box checked.
-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 11:22:55 am »

As of the the upgrade, i have to log in every time I want to pot a reply or comment? I have clicked the "keep me logged in" button?

Peter

Peter Randall

scottish

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 07:37:49 pm »

Quote from: peterpix
As of the the upgrade, i have to log in every time I want to pot a reply or comment? I have clicked the "keep me logged in" button?

Peter

Same here.
Aloha,
Scott

BruceHouston

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 09:17:09 pm »

Quote from: peterpix

Peter

Same here.

Anthony R

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 10:30:27 pm »

Quote from: BruceHouston
Same here.

DITTO

DarkPenguin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »

I hit f5 and all my issues with it went away.

stamper

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 05:41:48 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I hit f5 and all my issues with it went away.

When I click on the Quote button nothing happens but when I click on the reply button I get the quoted message. Anyone else had this problem?

DarkPenguin

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:43 am »

Quote from: stamper
When I click on the Quote button nothing happens but when I click on the reply button I get the quoted message. Anyone else had this problem?

Same behavior as before.  The quote button turns red and you have to hit the add reply button at the bottom to add the reply.

KeithR

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:04 am »

Quote from: stamper
Clicking the Quote button turns it red indicating that the qoute won't be displayed in the reply. You still have to click Reply to access the reply box.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Kumar

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 09:53:26 am »

Quote from: KeithR
Clicking the Quote button turns it red indicating that the qoute won't be displayed in the reply. You still have to click Reply to access the reply box.

I did that now, but it's still displayed in this message.

Kumar

Kumar

Forum Upgrades
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 09:54:38 am »

Quote from: KeithR

It's the same without clicking the Quote button, as in this message.

Kumar

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 04:59:56 pm »

everything seems to work ok for me...one oddity...each time i come to visit the forums the page loads then reloads...it never did that before...

M

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 12:57:56 am »

I seem to be having to log in pretty regularly, it's not always "remembering" me.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:56 am »

I'm another one who is being prompted to logon every day.

I always use the "view new posts" option, which is when I now get the logon prompt.
I then select this thread, and when I want to post this message I am prompted to logon again.

Sometimes logging on via the top/right box does not work, and it kicks me out to the full screen logon page, but this is not consistent, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some days it won't let me logon at all, but if I return a few hours later I am successful.

I've done the whole delete cookies thing. I've even cleared LL completely from my Favourites, cleared all temp files, and re-loaded LL, still no joy. It just cannot seem to remember me.

Never had any of these issues prior to the recent changes. Been a member for years.
Regards, HILTON

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 04:46:45 am »

Interesting . . . I frequent about 25 different discussion forums in any one week, and have done for the past 10 years or more. No logon problems on any of them, bar one (just two months ago), and I've just noticed a common denominator . . . both are "IP Board", and both upgraded recently.

P.S. . . . To load the reply above I had to login three times, and it would only allow me to post if I selected the "preview post" option, a straight reply bombed every time telling me I was not logged in.

P.P.S. . . . To post this reply I have thusfar had to login at least 6-8 times (lost count), it may be more when I press enter now!
Regards, HILTON

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Forum Upgrades
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:07 pm »

I had the same problem - solved by not closing the tab/window on the browser...kludgy but it works
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up