Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR on a network  (Read 2257 times)

kielinski

• Kielinski Photographers
LR on a network
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:11:07 pm »

Any way to get LR working on a network so multiple users can access the same files in real time?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
LR on a network
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:17:36 pm »

No - what do you mean by the same files? The pictures or the catalogue? Multiple users can access the same pictures, but each needs a local catalogue.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:18:38 pm by johnbeardy »

kielinski

• Kielinski Photographers
LR on a network
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:37 pm »

No - what do you mean by the same files? The pictures or the catalogue? Multiple users can access the same pictures, but each needs a local catalogue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Everything - pictures and catalogue.  Why the need for the catalogue to be local?  I'd think that being able to centralize everything on a network and then having identical access from multiple computers would be a pretty big deal to some (potential) users.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
LR on a network
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:47:18 pm »

Everything - pictures and catalogue.  Why the need for the catalogue to be local?  I'd think that being able to centralize everything on a network and then having identical access from multiple computers would be a pretty big deal to some (potential) users.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Multiuser access is a limitation of the SQLite database (ie the catalogue), and they'd have to put excessive development time into coding around those problems (inevitably a kludge), or write the application so it might alternatively store data in bigger enterprise level databases like SQL Server or Oracle. Don't forget the number of networks out there, or the range of issues such as record locking and permissions that network access would let loose. The chunk of the market which would use this functionality probably isn't big enough to bring the feature high enough up Adobe's priority list, and in any case it would be reduced by the extra price and skill demands (eg administering a SQL Server). But it's pretty normal for applications to be developed initially on a small database, and ported to a bigger back end after a number of versions.

John

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
LR on a network
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:55:59 pm »

There's this work-around, but I haven't tried it.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?t=1595

Dave Chew

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
LR on a network
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:29 pm »

This is exactly why I don't use lightroom in my studio, other than this one issue, oh and CMYK, it rocks. On CMYK, even if there was just a way to track files in lightroom, ie, have the raw in the catalogue, and all of the virtual copies, and RGB tif's AND the CMYK tif's that you have worked on in Photoshop. I can live without being able to actually do anything to them, but at-least have everything all together. At the moment everything is all neat and tidy and in one place, except all the CMYK images that get sent to clients.

Yes I know Martin Evening has a kind of workaround, but it is a pain, and should be implemented in the program ASAP.

Cheers.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz
Pages: [1]   Go Up