Poll

If you had to start from scratch today, which MF system would you buy into today

Hasselblad H3D: Scandinavian precision rocks!
- 38 (29%)
Sinar/Leaf Hy6/Afi: Swiss/German/Israelii precision rocks!
- 46 (35.1%)
Phase One/Mamiya AFDIII: Danish/Japanese precision rocks!
- 24 (18.3%)
Leica S2: German precision rocks!
- 9 (6.9%)
Nikon MX: Japanese precision rocks!
- 8 (6.1%)
You forgot my brand so I'll rock you!
- 6 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had to do it all over ...  (Read 56014 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
If you had to do it all over ...
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:31:59 am »

If that case of equipment got stolen from your hotel room tomorrow, and the wife let you use the insurance money for something other than a new kitchen, what would you buy ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:44:58 am »

AFi system

I now use a 645AFD/III for location work and a RZ67ProII for studio work, the AFi combines those two quality wise.
You get better image quality and WLFs from the RZ and a large part of the portibility of the 645AFD/III.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:03:09 am »

you should add the second hand camera options. i would probably just get what i have now, h1/2 with a digital back- probably phase.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:06:02 am »

I know that the two companies have signed a cooperation agreement. Nevertheless, you could have split and made 2 distinct choices with the Leaf and Sinar brands: although the 2 cameras (AFi and Hy6) have basically the same functions, the backs these 2 companies are proposing are quite different.

Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:00:23 am »

The poll is not clear. The heading asks about the 'body', in which case the Hy6 and AFi should be together.

Then the poll question is about the whole 'system'.

I went with the heading, and voted on my ideal camera body.

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:06:26 am »

Truly I hope sinar Digital Back division could really merge with Leaf, to reduce R&D costs for both hardware and software, therefore make them more competitive in the market. And Rollei hy6 should just be Rollei hy6, call it afi or sinar hy6 just makes confusion, let alone the lost of Rollei's "bling" effect.

The poll is not clear. The heading asks about the 'body', in which case the Hy6 and AFi should be together.

Then the poll question is about the whole 'system'.

I went with the heading, and voted on my ideal camera body.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226547\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:10:59 am »

You get better image quality and WLFs from the RZ and a large part of the portibility of the 645AFD/III.

What are WLFs?  

thsinar

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 08:19:16 am »

Dustblue,

The name "Rollei" does not exist/is not permitted for the MF cameras and accessories. If at all, then it is "Rolleiflex", and this ONLY for cameras being sold by F&H.

BUT: the Hy6 is a Jenoptik camera/project, with F&H being the contracted manufacturer for Jenoptik. Therefore named differently, with reasons and rights.

This has been explained a hundred times, in the last 2 years. I don't think there can be any confusion.

Best regards,
Thierry

Truly I hope sinar Digital Back division could really merge with Leaf, to reduce R&D costs for both hardware and software, therefore make them more competitive in the market. And Rollei hy6 should just be Rollei hy6, call it afi or sinar hy6 just makes confusion, let alone the lost of Rollei's "bling" effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:03:40 am »

WLF - Waist Level (View)Finder

Dustblue,

The name "Rollei" does not exist/is not permitted for the MF cameras and accessories. If at all, then it is "Rolleiflex", and this ONLY for cameras being sold by F&H.

BUT: the Hy6 is a Jenoptik camera/project, with F&H being the contracted manufacturer for Jenoptik. Therefore named differently, with reasons and rights.

This has been explained a hundred times, in the last 2 years. I don't think there can be any confusion.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:05:26 am »

Option was not there but I would buy another Contax 645 system, I just love this camera and its associated lenses. I'll probably remain with Leaf for DB unless the the S2 was out at the time.

david
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:05:50 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:50 am »

Yea sure, all of us here know it, but remember not all photographers  go to forums. Some of them even don't use computers. One of my friend decided to buy leaf afi about one year ago, when he asked for my opinion I recommended sinar hy6 to him. You know what? He didn't know it EXIST at all!

I just give out my suggestion, I hope the hy6 system could share more space in this market because I like it, and sinar too.

So take it easy, Thierry, all photogs here bitching about sinar or leaf of hassie of phase, not for killing them, but making them better.

Dustblue,

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:56 am »

don't worry, Dustblue, am taking it easy. I simply have to correct, when the brand "Rollei" is named. I know there is no bad intention from you, otherwise I would have reacted more "strongly"!

Kidding!

best regards,
Thierry

Yea sure, all of us here know it, but remember not all photographers  go to forums. Some of them even don't use computers. One of my friend decided to buy leaf afi about one year ago, when he asked for my opinion I recommended sinar hy6 to him. You know what? He didn't know it EXIST at all!

I just give out my suggestion, I hope the hy6 system could share more space in this market because I like it, and sinar too.

So take it easy, Thierry, all photogs here bitching about sinar or leaf of hassie of phase, not for killing them, but making them better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

oscar falero

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:16 am »

Let the dust settle and consider buying used as there is a consistent flow of used digital backs coming to market. These units where the high priced darlings of MF companies now available at huge markdowns.

The software that drives the digital back is just as important as the back itself. My first back was Leaf Aptus and although the file was very nice, the capture software was very unstable and unfinished. Its gotten much better now!

I then moved to Phase was because they offered a complete solution from a solid digital back to a pro software even though I prefer the Leaf life.

Sinar offers perhaps that most versatile solution allowing to you to use it in multiple camera platforms, but they have a weak presence in the US with an invisible rental base.

In addition, a file that one could process in multiple RAW converters(ACR, Raw Developer, etc) with ease is a great option allow for workflow ease and different looks.

Saša D. Karić

• http://
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:06:37 am »

Sinar offers perhaps that most versatile solution allowing to you to use it in multiple camera platforms, but they have a weak presence in the US with an invisible rental base.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope Sinar's presence in the US and their rental base will truly improve and change for better...

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 10:33:37 am »

don't worry, Dustblue, am taking it easy. I simply have to correct, when the brand "Rollei" is named. I know there is no bad intention from you, otherwise I would have reacted more "strongly"!

Kidding!

best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry,
I know that she changed her name when she got married but her maiden name was just sooo.. much prettier.
Some may call her HY6, some may call her Dolores but to me she will always be Rollei.
Andre

thsinar

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 10:35:41 am »

OK, accepted, but only because it's you, Andre!

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,
I know that she changed her name when she got married but her maiden name was just sooo.. much prettier.
Some may call her HY6, some may call her Dolores but to me she will always be Rollei.
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

AndreNapier

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:46:46 am »

OK, accepted, but only because it's you, Andre!

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow that is great. Thanks Thierry.
Since you are so understanding  than maybe.... I will marry into Your Sinar family.
Andre
PS
She will have to change her name again!

thsinar

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 10:48:26 am »

Let's see what can be done: may be a special "Andre Napier" edition.

Thierry

Wow that is great. Thanks Thierry.
Since you are so understanding  than maybe.... I will marry into Your Sinar family.
Andre
PS
She will have to change her name again!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:48 am »

P45+, Cambo RS 1000, and lenes more lenes did I mention more lenes?   don't forget the Phase 645 and all the lenes that went with that - 28, 35, 75-150 and a 300.  

Told wife we need to eat out more any way  

don

AndreNapier

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 11:01:28 am »

Let's see what can be done: may be a special "Andre Napier" edition.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a marketing genious at work!!!! I can see the waiting list for this black beauty.

Now I have to run and make some money for the black paint.
Andre
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up