Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Proofing: CS3 vs Qimage  (Read 2966 times)

walter.sk

Soft Proofing: CS3 vs Qimage
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »

I finalize my photographs in CS3 and print them on the Z3100 from Qimage (Mostly Perceptual intent, occasionally Relative Colorimetric).  Up to now, I had been comparing the original image with CS3's Proof Colors and View Gamut Warning, with a duplicate of the original image after setting up in the Proof Settings dialog box.

I had been fairly happy with the results, but to make the gray of the out-of-gamut areas disappear it took careful work with a couple of adjustment layers, often ending up with less dynamic range and less saturation than I wanted.

For some reason, I tried the soft proof in Qimage before using my adjustment layers in CS3.  The soft proof in CS3, which is also printer-profile dependent, showed much less OOG area than CS3's gamut warning.  I decided to print from Qimage without adjusting the original image, and the printout exactly matched the color shift in the smaller area indicated in Qimage.  I then went into CS3 and corrected the small area and got a perfect print.

I had been driving myself nuts as well as unnecessarily compromising the color and tonality of my images by depending on the CS3 Gamut Warning.  Even though it takes 2 extra steps to veiw the softproof in Qimage, go back to CS3 and then to Qimage again it is worth it, as the extent of my adjustments is much smaller, saving more of my original intent.

Pat Herold

Soft Proofing: CS3 vs Qimage
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:33 pm »

Yes, I don't think the Gamut Warning has been updated for several generations of Photoshop.  It's known for not being completely reliable for most rendering intents.  It is said to be accurate if you are set up for Absolute Colorimetric.

Just using the View>Proof Setup (soft-proofing) feature should get you most of the way to seeing what your printer profile will do to your image.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up