Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back on large format  (Read 2809 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Digital back on large format
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:26:42 pm »

Hi there, I'm looking to mount my aptus back on existing Sinar P2 kit to experiment with wider lens options and table-top stuff in studio. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a route I'm going to stick with but would like to try it as my Sinar stuff has been sitting unused for some time. So, mindful of spending too much money I was wondering if anyone has experience of theses relatively cheap adaptors that are kicking around on ebay. They are selling for around £100+ and don't have viewing screens which at this point I'm not too fussed about. Also, is there any other cabling necessary for Leaf backs or is it just a case of connecting the sync to the back as per Hasselblad V? Any advice or views would be much appreciated. Thanks

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »

Buzzski,  What cheap adapters are you talking about? Something to mount the Aptus to the Sinar, or something to mount UW lenses on the Sinar?

In my experience, you won't be able to very wide with the P2 because of the limitations of the lens-to-back distance. Even with the bag bellows and recessed board, you wouldn't be able to do it.  I use my Aptus 65 on a P2 with a Schneider APO 55mm Digitar in a Rollei shutter.  It's wide, but not *that* wide.

The other issue for you is focus. You'll either need a sliding back adapter, or a Live View dongle.

I would be curious to experiment with different optics - enlarging lenses for instance, to see about some extreme macro shots.

You can connect the sync from a Copal shutter to the back just fine. LeafCapture has a setting for cable release.

Dave

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:55:16 pm »

Hi there, I'm looking to mount my aptus back on existing Sinar P2 kit to experiment with wider lens options and table-top stuff in studio. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a route I'm going to stick with but would like to try it as my Sinar stuff has been sitting unused for some time. So, mindful of spending too much money I was wondering if anyone has experience of theses relatively cheap adaptors that are kicking around on ebay. They are selling for around £100+ and don't have viewing screens which at this point I'm not too fussed about. Also, is there any other cabling necessary for Leaf backs or is it just a case of connecting the sync to the back as per Hasselblad V? Any advice or views would be much appreciated. Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

are you talking about just a square adapter plate to mount the back on the camera?You'll need Live View to focus. Otherwise you need a sliding back

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:17:34 pm »

Be very careful with cheap adaptors for digital backs.  Make sure you can test and return it if it doesn't work out.

DB's need careful and well made alignment or you will not be able to get good focus.  I speak from personal experience.

I'd stick with a branded adapter from someone like Cambo or the Kapture group and I'm sure there are others. Perhaps you can find a second hand one on Ebay, but I would give cheap new adapters a miss.

Leaf backs don't need any special cables, just the one from the lens sync socket to the back that triggers the back.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up