Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Question  (Read 1615 times)

Greg Haag

Lighting Question
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:10:23 pm »

Sorry If this should have been posted in a different area.  We have a shoot next Wednesday that I am looking for some ideas on how to light. Our local university has a student that started college at 14 and is now graduating. He is somewhat a prodigy and has been invited to Germany to study under a famous concert Pianist. Our shoot will be in the concert hall on stage with a black grand piano with the subject in a black tux. As of now I have two general shots in mind; first with him at the piano (couple variations playing/standing) and second with his instructor possibly out in the seats with the piano in the background (hope this is clear). On the shot at the piano I was thinking of lighting in the following manner parabolic as main @ f8, umbrella ( 1 or 2) as fill @ f5.6 and bare bulb approx 10' above floor level pointed straight up to provide some background detail. Still thinking thru the other shot.  This not something that we would typically shoot so any suggestions would be appreciated.  Planning on using 50-110 zoom on H2.
Thanks in advance
Greg

wells

Lighting Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:30:52 pm »

Sorry If this should have been posted in a different area.  We have a shoot next Wednesday that I am looking for some ideas on how to light. Our local university has a student that started college at 14 and is now graduating. He is somewhat a prodigy and has been invited to Germany to study under a famous concert Pianist. Our shoot will be in the concert hall on stage with a black grand piano with the subject in a black tux. As of now I have two general shots in mind; first with him at the piano (couple variations playing/standing) and second with his instructor possibly out in the seats with the piano in the background (hope this is clear). On the shot at the piano I was thinking of lighting in the following manner parabolic as main @ f8, umbrella ( 1 or 2) as fill @ f5.6 and bare bulb approx 10' above floor level pointed straight up to provide some background detail. Still thinking thru the other shot.  This not something that we would typically shoot so any suggestions would be appreciated.  Planning on using 50-110 zoom on H2.
Thanks in advance
Greg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like a decent starting point...Perhaps adding a rim / hair light from behind subject just out of top of frame might help define the edge of the black tuxedo / piano, and help separate your subject from the background--this is usually done with a tightish grid or fresnel, just make sure it doesn't hit your lens...It's possible the bare bulb will accomplish this, but having a separate light dedicated to rimming will give you more control, as it won't be tied to the background...Good luck!

Greg Haag

Lighting Question
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:45:14 pm »

Sounds like a decent starting point...Perhaps adding a rim / hair light from behind subject just out of top of frame might help define the edge of the black tuxedo / piano, and help separate your subject from the background--this is usually done with a tightish grid or fresnel, just make sure it doesn't hit your lens...It's possible the bare bulb will accomplish this, but having a separate light dedicated to rimming will give you more control, as it won't be tied to the background...Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great idea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up