Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lightroom 2 catalog previews.lrdata  (Read 6113 times)

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
lightroom 2 catalog previews.lrdata
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »

I've noticed that  when I run a backup of my Pictures folder ChronoSync seems to spend most of its time working on the "Lightroom 2 Catalog previews.lrdata" file.

On checking my hard drive, I see that this file is now up to 12GB in size (out of 165GB in the full Pictures folder). My old LR 1.4 previews.lrdata file is just a couple of MB in size.

My question is, is this normal? Should the previews.lrdata file really be that big, or has mine just got bloated somehow and maybe needs purged in some way?

Any suggestions welcome - thanks in advance

Jim

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:32 pm »

I've noticed that  when I run a backup of my Pictures folder ChronoSync seems to spend most of its time working on the "Lightroom 2 Catalog previews.lrdata" file.

On checking my hard drive, I see that this file is now up to 12GB in size (out of 165GB in the full Pictures folder). My old LR 1.4 previews.lrdata file is just a couple of MB in size.

My question is, is this normal? Should the previews.lrdata file really be that big, or has mine just got bloated somehow and maybe needs purged in some way?

Any suggestions welcome - thanks in advance

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's not a file, it's a package (on the Mac, anyway): try control-clicking and "view package contents", and you'll see vast numbers of cryptically-named folders and files.

I think the size of the package depends on your preview settings in LR: what dimensions they are and, perhaps more importantly, how long 1:1 previews are kept.

I don't back up this package when I do my nightly ChronoSync backups: they're only previews, after all. If catastrophe strikes, it's not likely to take more than an overnight run to regenerate them all.

Jeremy

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:14 am »

It's not a file, it's a package (on the Mac, anyway): try control-clicking and "view package contents", and you'll see vast numbers of cryptically-named folders and files.

I think the size of the package depends on your preview settings in LR: what dimensions they are and, perhaps more importantly, how long 1:1 previews are kept.

I don't back up this package when I do my nightly ChronoSync backups: they're only previews, after all. If catastrophe strikes, it's not likely to take more than an overnight run to regenerate them all.

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Jeremy.

I've tried knocking the Preview Quality down from High to Medium and the Automatically Discard Previews down from "After 30 Days" to "After One Week", but that only reduced the file (sorry, package) size about 0.5GB after a "Relaunch & Optimize". I'm not sure I'll consider this a worthwhile benefit for the cost in performance and quality in the days to come, so I may revert to previous settings. But I will definitely follow your practice and exclude the package from the ChronoSync setup.

Kind regards

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up