Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 - how much paper is left on roll  (Read 4209 times)

tived

• http://
HP Z3100 - how much paper is left on roll
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:48 pm »

Hi guys,

I have tried to search this in the manual but I don't seem to be able to find what I am looking for.

I want to know if there is a way where I can tell how much paper is left on the roll, so I don't start to print and then find that I am missing an inch or two.

I work with other large format printers for sign writers where you the RIP will tell if you have enough paper or not.

Is this possible with the HP ?

thanks

Henrik

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:47 am »

Henrik,

Unfortunately, no. I have to pull the rolls out and measure them when I'm doing a job that I think may run out of paper. A bar code would have been nice with the firmware keeping track of eack roll.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

tived

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:02 am »

thanks Jim,

I had enough canvas, but the printer lost network connection 3inches before finishing, and I spend the next few hours trying to troubleshoot it, till I found that it was the cable that was faulty.

Yes, I think some kind of usage per roll would be handy. a tag for the roll, could be read by the printer or when you feed a fresh roll, you can enter the length of the roll, and give the roll an ID, incase you have many different papers.

ohh - maybe HP, Canon and Epson will listen in on this!!! :-)

thanks again for responding

Henrik

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:34 am »

I keep track of each roll in the printer utility.  In the Accounting part, there is a list of how much ink and paper (in square feet) was used with each printing.  Periodically I add up the square feet of the current roll and keep a running record in a notebook.  I use a 24" printer, so dividing by 2 gives me the linear feet used.  I also add in the paper used for calibration, as I don't think it is listed under print jobs.  However, the paper used in profiling seems to be listed.

What I don't do, and probably will start doing, is making a notation on the roll (I use a sheet of paper wrapped around the roll and taped in place to protect the roll) and on the box when I remove a roll that still has paper left.

What I don't know for sure is whether all companies include some extra paper at the end of the roll so that you don't have the sharply curled end going through the printer (I think Epson does).

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:40 am »

I often thought the same thing. At least have the ability to manually enter a known value for the length when you load a roll.
Then when you unload it can tell you how much is left, which you can write down on the box and enter it next time you load it.

The funny thing is, that there is a field on the main page of the web output that shows 'Length: Unknown'

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:44 am »

Hi guys,

I have tried to search this in the manual but I don't seem to be able to find what I am looking for.

I want to know if there is a way where I can tell how much paper is left on the roll, so I don't start to print and then find that I am missing an inch or two.

I work with other large format printers for sign writers where you the RIP will tell if you have enough paper or not.

Is this possible with the HP ?

thanks

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225924\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I keep track of the amount left on the roll by simply writing the original length of each roll on on a 2"x24" strip of scrap paper that I wrap and tape around the roll before storing. When the roll is loaded, tape the strip to the side of the printer and deduct each print from the total. I have printed thousands of feet from my 3100 and have never been shorted, but have had up to 6' extra on a 50' roll.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:44 am »

I keep track of the amount left on the roll by simply writing the original length of each roll on on a 2"x24" strip of scrap paper that I wrap and tape around the roll before storing. When the roll is loaded, tape the strip to the side of the printer and deduct each print from the total. I have printed thousands of feet from my 3100 and have never been shorted, but have had up to 6' extra on a 50' roll.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When it becomes critical at the end of a roll and a larger print to do I count the times the paper is wound around the core and estimate the average diameter of the windings in total, core is either 2 or 3". 3.14 x diameter x number of windings. Easier for me to do the math than keep the discipline of putting labels on rolls. Trying to get that last 2 inches printed usually isn't recommended with any method I think.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

tived

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:04:36 pm »

thanks everyone for all the replies

I guess it takes a bit of discipline to do this, and if you are the only one printing you are at least the only one accountable.

So a system is needed here, like some of the ones mentioned here

Writing up what has been printed, and cross check it against the job accounting on the printer, and as you get close to the end, count the rings (eg. how many times the paper is wrapped around the core to double check)

i like that.

Ok, a completely different question here.... we often have problems with this printer and we end up spending a lot of time to get the printer primed to print, actually we spend more time doing that then printing. We are in a very confined space and dancing with a 44" printer can sometimes be a bit of a task. So much that, the man himself, is questioning the feasibility of keep doing this, we are mainly using it for canvas printing and the odd large display poster. Almost everything else gets outsourced.

what is your take on this?

Thanks

Henrik

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:30:26 am »

When it becomes critical at the end of a roll and a larger print to do I count the times the paper is wound around the core and estimate the average diameter of the windings in total, core is either 2 or 3". 3.14 x diameter x number of windings. Easier for me to do the math than keep the discipline of putting labels on rolls. Trying to get that last 2 inches printed usually isn't recommended with any method I think.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is the most reliable way. I used look in the utility and see the number of and size of the print jobs and make a post it each time I remembered.
BTW Canon print the usage on the backside of the paper end when cut. That is the very best way, although I'm not sure the ink sticks to all backing that well.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:52 am »

Ok, a completely different question here.... we often have problems with this printer and we end up spending a lot of time to get the printer primed to print, actually we spend more time doing that then printing. We are in a very confined space and dancing with a 44" printer can sometimes be a bit of a task. So much that, the man himself, is questioning the feasibility of keep doing this, we are mainly using it for canvas printing and the odd large display poster. Almost everything else gets outsourced.

what is your take on this?

Thanks

Henrik
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henrik,

If you see that intermittent use as problematic with a Z3100 then I think you should never get another brand in the first place as it is in my experience one of the most suited printers for irregular-little use. Whether it is more economic to outsource while you already have that printer is something I can not judge. Cost of (mis)communication, transport and the other party's profit is often hard to estimate beforehand.  Having a calibrated printing system in house also is a good starting point to deal with the companies you outsource to, both on quality and price.  Going for better profit on your core business is a luxury decision: plenty of work for that core business and less profit on the rest. More a choice of the past 5 years than of the next 5 years I estimate. Next time you have to exchange that printer for a new one may be a better moment to think about this issue. All IMHO and YMMV.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

tived

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 07:17:16 am »

HI Ernst,

thanks for your reply, I am unfortunately not the one in this particular business, who makes the decisions, just the photo retoucher :-)

but I do use the printer when jobs has to be done, I guess the question that the boss is asking himself, is, is it more efficient to outsource and then get on with our other jobs which again can create more business and keep the wheels turning over, instead of "wasting time" trying to get the printer to perform as expected?

We do have a space problem here too...which isn't helping the situation :-)

I hope we keep it, as I find it interesting to work with, and there is something satisfying getting that print out, just after you have worked on it,...maybe I am just getting sentimental :-)

thanks very much for your help and the link

cheers

Henrik

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:28 am »

HI Ernst,

thanks for your reply, I am unfortunately not the one in this particular business, who makes the decisions, just the photo retoucher :-)

but I do use the printer when jobs has to be done, I guess the question that the boss is asking himself, is, is it more efficient to outsource and then get on with our other jobs which again can create more business and keep the wheels turning over, instead of "wasting time" trying to get the printer to perform as expected?

We do have a space problem here too...which isn't helping the situation :-)

I hope we keep it, as I find it interesting to work with, and there is something satisfying getting that print out, just after you have worked on it,...maybe I am just getting sentimental :-)

thanks very much for your help and the link

cheers

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What size of output do you really need?
For example on my site I have instructions and curves and actions that make the little HP 9180 a proof printer within <delta E of 2 compared to Fogra 39 offset. .
It is also a good intermittent use printer same print heads as the Z 2100. For the price to outsource would be too time consuming, and probably quite expensive too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up