Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch discs are full!  (Read 1949 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Scratch discs are full!
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »

I have been running CS3 with no problems until recently. It has just started informing me that the scratch discs are full when I try and crop an image. At first I just cleared some more some space on the hard drive but now, even after doing that as well as performing a disc cleanup and defrag it still refuses to complete the operation.  

How do I clean out the scratch discs?

Justin.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Scratch discs are full!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:26:33 pm »

Justin,

How did you set up the scratch disk(s)?

You can change their location in the settings of PS, and also specify a directory in which the swap file is going to be created.

This will enable you to check for yourself the size of the swap file being created by PS, and to understand better why it is telling you that it is full.

My guess is that the default points to the C: drive which is often a smaller partition aimed mostly at containing Windows and some apps.

The basic recommendation is to use a separate disk as a dedicated scratch.

Cheers,
Bernard

shoottmx

• http://
Scratch discs are full!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:25:35 pm »

I've had this happen in the past. If you have entered values into the crop size dialog boxes, say to crop at 1600x1200 pixels, then change your units and rulers preferences to inches, PS will try to make your image 1600x1200 inches. Clearing the boxes solved the issue for me.

Gary

Justinr

• Ink+images
Scratch discs are full!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Thinking it over and taking into account the advice given here I reckon my best course would be to enlarge the C/ drive first as I am operating on it's limit for much of the time.

Justin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up