Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exporting Collection Set with folder structure  (Read 2091 times)

NickJB

exporting Collection Set with folder structure
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:25:27 pm »

Using LR 2.
I have a Collection Set, with sub-folders/collections. I'd like to Export the whole Collection Set (make jpgs, tiff's etc) while maintaining the folder structure of the set.
Just to clarify what I'm doing:
I have a Collection Set for a client project. Lets say it's a University and I'm photographing  a series of their Departments.
Collection Set is University of California
Sub-folders/collections are: biology; agriculture; languages; psychology; chemistry; geography etc.

I want to export all the photographs for the university to give to my client and keep the images within the sub-folder/collections - biology dept photos in the biology folder, agriculture within that folder etc.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:53 pm »

Response deleted.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:16:37 pm by Richowens »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »

Using LR 2.
I have a Collection Set, with sub-folders/collections. I'd like to Export the whole Collection Set (make jpgs, tiff's etc) while maintaining the folder structure of the set.
Just to clarify what I'm doing:
I have a Collection Set for a client project. Lets say it's a University and I'm photographing  a series of their Departments.
Collection Set is University of California
Sub-folders/collections are: biology; agriculture; languages; psychology; chemistry; geography etc.

I want to export all the photographs for the university to give to my client and keep the images within the sub-folder/collections - biology dept photos in the biology folder, agriculture within that folder etc.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

I wanted to do this.  I have had a fairly thorough look at the developers guide for export plugins to see if I could script my own to do this...

I conclude that it is not possible. This is because the Lightroom export plugin API provides the script with a flat set of images to process, there is no access to the collection structure which was 'active' when the images are exported.

As a result, the export process cannot know how to export the structure.

A bit of an omission, but thats how it is currently, and I can see how there could be a few complexities that have stopped Adobe offering this capability.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:31:03 pm »

I have ben struggling with the same issue--i want to backup every thing to a separate drive with the folder structure intact.

In a post below someone recommended using a Synching program-- I found one for my mac ans it seems to work.  I synchronize the entire LR library Folder to a separate drive and the folder structure is intact.  I also include the catalogue, but it relates to the images on my primary drive, not the backup drive--at least it is backed up in different location.

MDIJB
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:31:45 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

NickJB

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:00:51 pm »

I'm guessing it's difficult to program because the Collections are merely references to actual files. I'm sure Adobe don't want to add too much in the way of complex "moving" of original files. I'm willing to spend the extra couple of minutes re-creating the Collection structure rather than have LR do something that may cause problems with the integrity of the main Folder structure.

Thanks!

nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up