Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoExpo plans?  (Read 4399 times)

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
PhotoExpo plans?
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:33 am »

In light of the economy, are you having second thoughts about new equipment purchases, and going to New York for the big show?  

I'm really over a barrel.  I really have to go, but rather than spend the money for an overnight I'm thinking a one-day trip on the train...  Is it just me?
Ted Dillard

madmanchan

• Web
PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:27:48 am »

If I go, I'll probably drive ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:28:14 am by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

Anthony R

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:28 am »

I'll walk over.

teddillard

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:37 am »

I'll walk over.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

damn you.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:36:08 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:31 am »

I'm not on the market for ANY equipment for the time being. If the economy really does crash, it's going to be big and world wide and horrible. I pulled everything I have out and have it in a protected account.

My dad just pulled his Costco individual stock at 71 dollars, the highest it's been. He got lucky. The day after it droped to 66.00US, but that was up from his initial purchase at 31.00 US per share.  He dodged a bullet and is now drawing 5.25% in a protected account also.

My mom, an avid and good personal investment person, always the optimist about the stock market, has held out thus far and not pulled any of her very diversified assets, which are fairly large, but I think she's dead wrong this time. I really wish she would dump it all, mutual funds included, and get into a money market protected fund.

This is no joke. If it happens, it's going to be big and change the the world in ways we cannot envision.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 06:14:35 am »

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with you about the economy and the potential for a nasty road ahead.  Until the DJI hits in the 7863-8300 range we are over valued by historical standards.  

Question:  Please advise where are you finding 5 1/4% ROI?

I also went all cash some time back seeing this problem on the horizon.

Thought for your mother - have her read the Congressional Act that formed Mutual Funds.  When she reads that they do NOT have to return her "funds on demand", she may decide it's too risky not to pull them out.  

As to a "protected account".  Unless you're in gold/precious metals, there really is no such thing that I've found.  Even gold coin if kept in this country can be taken by the gov't. as they did in the 1930's.  Thus, if you buy gold store look into this issue of how to protect it.

I'm not on the market for ANY equipment for the time being. If the economy really does crash, it's going to be big and world wide and horrible. I pulled everything I have out and have it in a protected account.

My dad just pulled his Costco individual stock at 71 dollars, the highest it's been. He got lucky. The day after it droped to 66.00US, but that was up from his initial purchase at 31.00 US per share.  He dodged a bullet and is now drawing 5.25% in a protected account also.

My mom, an avid and good personal investment person, always the optimist about the stock market, has held out thus far and not pulled any of her very diversified assets, which are fairly large, but I think she's dead wrong this time. I really wish she would dump it all, mutual funds included, and get into a money market protected fund.

This is no joke. If it happens, it's going to be big and change the the world in ways we cannot envision.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim Lookingbill

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:54 pm »

Oh, I can see this thread is going to get interesting. I didn't realize I was among those who even have investments.

I feel like Leonardo DiCaprio on the Titanic. Since 1978 working for 20 different small start ups in the graphics/printing industry in Texas during the Reagan trickle down economy of the '80's I managed to live on an average of $1200 a month all these years.

During the 2000's filed for and got my disability. However, it seems the government knows full well what an individual can live on when they calculated with extreme precision and paper work my check amount, subsidies for housing and food stamps which happens to come to...you guessed it $1200 a month. My bills are all paid, I'm living comfortably and I get free health insurance through Medicare.

Why can't they apply those calculations to the rich?

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 04:09:56 am »

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with you about the economy and the potential for a nasty road ahead.  Until the DJI hits in the 7863-8300 range we are over valued by historical standards. 

Question:  Please advise where are you finding 5 1/4% ROI?

I also went all cash some time back seeing this problem on the horizon.

Thought for your mother - have her read the Congressional Act that formed Mutual Funds.  When she reads that they do NOT have to return her "funds on demand", she may decide it's too risky not to pull them out. 

As to a "protected account".  Unless you're in gold/precious metals, there really is no such thing that I've found.  Even gold coin if kept in this country can be taken by the gov't. as they did in the 1930's.  Thus, if you buy gold store look into this issue of how to protect it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Protected meaning FDIC insured and my dad said he was getting 51/2, but he's 88 and could be mistaken. He may have put them in bonds but they are also FDIC insured. But you are right. the only way to be sure is to buy gold. However, if the big big depression hits, gold prices will fall and you'll lose all sorts of assets.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:19:47 am by dwdallam »

teddillard

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:46:31 am »

Well, in my own grand tradition of sticking my head up when common sense dictates keeping it down, I guess I'm heading to the show.  

(Maybe see some of you pedestrians there?  Got a floor I can sleep on?)

http://www.teddillard.com/2008/10/photoplus-expo-im-in.html
Ted Dillard

Photomangreg

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:14:38 am »

Protected meaning FDIC insured and my dad said he was getting 51/2, but he's 88 and could be mistaken. He may have put them in bonds but they are also FDIC insured. But you are right. the only way to be sure is to buy gold. However, if the big big depression hits, gold prices will fall and you'll lose all sorts of assets.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FYI, Bonds, and the money invested in them, are never FDIC insured.  A Municipal bond may have private insurance, but will result in a lower yield.  Checking, Savings and CD's are FDIC insured.

Jonathan H

• http://
PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:55:17 am »

I'll be there.... 30 minute bus ride from NJ
Long walks on the beach, nights by the f

Tim Lookingbill

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

Surprisingly with my income level I CAN afford to go to New York from Texas. Trouble is there wouldn't be any funds left to buy all the neat stuff there.

I guess I need to get crackin' selling on eBay $900 worth of sunglasses I found snorkling at the bottom of the Comal river dropped by inebriated tubers. $350 for a pair of sunglasses?! Are you sh*tting me?!

teddillard

PhotoExpo plans?
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:56 pm »

I'll be there.... 30 minute bus ride from NJ
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cool, see you there!
Ted Dillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up