Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon g9 or g10 as remote camera  (Read 15246 times)

heinrichvoelkel

canon g9 or g10 as remote camera
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:54:59 pm »

is there any chance to trigger a Canon G9 or 10 via Pocket Wizards? Where to get the appropiate cable? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »

Not the G9.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

AndyF2

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »

You might be able to make an adapter: I expect the pocketwizard closes a hotshoe contact to fire the flash.  The G9 should have a wired remote input that would release the shutter, also on closing a contact.  

If you can figure out the appropriate connections on both, then the pocketwizard should be able to trigger the camera release.

On the XTi the remote is a two stage switch so adding a single contact might release the shutter but skip the intermediate stage where focus and other pre-exposure work is done.

Andy

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:09 pm »

You might be able to make an adapter: I expect the pocketwizard closes a hotshoe contact to fire the flash.  The G9 should have a wired remote input that would release the shutter, also on closing a contact. 

If you can figure out the appropriate connections on both, then the pocketwizard should be able to trigger the camera release.

On the XTi the remote is a two stage switch so adding a single contact might release the shutter but skip the intermediate stage where focus and other pre-exposure work is done.

Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

does the g9 have a remote input?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:18:40 pm »

You can shoot tethered with the G9 via USB cable.
Gerald J Skrocki

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »

You can shoot tethered with the G9 via USB cable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this info. Do I have to shoot tethered use DDP/DPP?

But is there a real remote input on the camera I can use...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:58:08 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

AndyF2

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:10 pm »

Hmm.  I had assumed there would be a remote input, but looking at the manual (I don't have the camera), there is no connector shown for this.  Nor is the infrared remote available for some other cameras shown as an accessory.

The only way to trigger it remotely may be through USB if the Canon PC software supports that, or some mechanical system that will push on the release button.

Andy

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:35 am »

Hmm.  I had assumed there would be a remote input, but looking at the manual (I don't have the camera), there is no connector shown for this.  Nor is the infrared remote available for some other cameras shown as an accessory.

The only way to trigger it remotely may be through USB if the Canon PC software supports that, or some mechanical system that will push on the release button.

Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The G9 does not have a wired remote input nor an infrared remote.  It can be used tethered (USB) with the Canon software or software from Breeze Systems.  Also, there is a press-on mechanical cable release known as the Franiec release that can be bought from Lensmate.
Gordon

Saša D. Karić

• http://
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:27:01 pm »

is there any chance to trigger a Canon G9 or 10 via Pocket Wizards? Where to get the appropiate cable? Can it be done?
Thanks in advance
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

we thought to try and sync 72 G9 Cameras, talked about it for a week and finally found out that all of them would NOT match the sync time required even if able to be triggered simultaniusly!!!

So we decided to give this guys a call [a href=\"http://www.digitalair.com/company.html]here[/url] and rent or see what can be done...

Still looking for a perfect solution though, perhaps D90 is viable solution, we'll see....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:28:46 pm by Saša D. Karić »

Saša D. Karić

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:31 pm »

The G9 does not have a wired remote input nor an infrared remote.  It can be used tethered (USB) with the Canon software or software from Breeze Systems.  Also, there is a press-on mechanical cable release known as the Franiec release that can be bought from Lensmate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gordon, Breeze Software is fantastic.... thanks for bringing it up!!!

Anthony R

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »

Would a Pocket Wizard Multimax not work at all? Maybe you could get to it via the usb? Dunno.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:12 pm »

Gordon, Breeze Software is fantastic.... thanks for bringing it up!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have Breeze Downloader and Browser and use both regularly.  I also have the remote (single shot version) for the Powershot series but have to confess that I've just played with it a few times.  The multishot version of the Breeze remote software would seem to be exactly what you want.  

Is the multi-shot problem with the G9 due to the shutter delay or simply that the variation from camera to camera is too much?
Gordon

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:21:58 am »

I have Breeze Downloader and Browser and use both regularly.  I also have the remote (single shot version) for the Powershot series but have to confess that I've just played with it a few times.  The multishot version of the Breeze remote software would seem to be exactly what you want. 

Is the multi-shot problem with the G9 due to the shutter delay or simply that the variation from camera to camera is too much?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Problem, the camera is in a moving vehicle, I'm not. Have to figure it out how to run the camera, without seeing the moment it clicks. Is it possible to shoot pictures with a G9 and the multishot version of the Breeze remote by setting a interval , like take apicture very 10 seconds?

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 07:26:51 am »

Problem, the camera is in a moving vehicle, I'm not. Have to figure it out how to run the camera, without seeing the moment it clicks. Is it possible to shoot pictures with a G9 and the multishot version of the Breeze remote by setting a interval , like take apicture very 10 seconds?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, PSRemote can be used in time lapse mode and a ten second interval can be set.  You should download the trial version.
Gordon

Saša D. Karić

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

G9 shutter delay was a big problem leading further to obvious shutter delay variations from camera to camera where we didn't have much choice but to abandon it completely!!!

Hopefully we'll find something soon...

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 09:30:58 am »

G9 shutter delay was a big problem leading further to obvious shutter delay variations from camera to camera where we didn't have much choice but to abandon it completely!!!

Hopefully we'll find something soon...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've not done this sort of photography but have read about it and find it interesting.  One of my first thoughts was the positive economics of using 72 G9s!  Then when you noted the problems I suspected the shutter delay and tolerances.  Too bad!  Even worse, I don't know a way around the problem.  Many people will suggest using manual exposure, manual focus, etc but in truth doing so does not really reduce shutter delay that much and I don't understand why it doesn't.

The G9 needs a menu setting that says "The shutter button is half pressed."
Gordon

Saša D. Karić

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

I've not done this sort of photography but have read about it and find it interesting.  One of my first thoughts was the positive economics of using 72 G9s!  Then when you noted the problems I suspected the shutter delay and tolerances.  Too bad!  Even worse, I don't know a way around the problem.  Many people will suggest using manual exposure, manual focus, etc but in truth doing so does not really reduce shutter delay that much and I don't understand why it doesn't.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Manual exposure is imperative! However, it didn't work period... G9 was great on paper with regards to cost and resale value.... although we now have enough faith to believe in D90 as well as in 5D MkII only we are talking about 100% increase in budget with D90 and 450% increase in budget if we go with 5D MkII but Full Frame 21MP is almost worth it even on paper... if not for additional cost of lenses!!!

The G9 needs a menu setting that says "The shutter button is half pressed."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course we tried all standard available options first, unfortunately it didn't work...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:42:23 am by Saša D. Karić »
Pages: [1]   Go Up