Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Tripod for use with Leica M8  (Read 3632 times)

dhansak79

Travel Tripod for use with Leica M8
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:47 am »

I am looking for advice on what tripod I should buy to use with my new Leica M8.

I come from a DSLR background and my days of humphing heavy gear around when travelling are, hopefully, over.

I have purchased the M8 as a travel camera and therefore am looking for a good quality tripod/head combination that will fold up quite small and be light (otherwise I'll be defeating the purpose of getting the Leica in the first place).

I am guessing that a set of carbon fibre legs and a light ball head will be the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

ceyman

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

I am looking for advice on what tripod I should buy to use with my new Leica M8.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, if light is what you want, I'll recommend the Feisol 3441B. [a href=\"http://www.feisol.com/]http://www.feisol.com/[/url]

I use one with my 5D & it's fine up to the point where I'm using a large zoom with a multiplier.  For an M8 it would be more than adequate.  

My only complaint is that the CB-30 quick release plate is round & you have to watch that you insert it straight or it will jam.  

Otherwise I'm completely satisfied, especially at the price.

stever

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »

Feisol's models are a little confused.  I have the 3441S which may or may not be the successor to the 3441B.  I was not comfortable buying the Feisol ball head and bought the littlest Markins instead.

This is a very light, rigid tripod folding to a compact dimension.  Perhaps more rigid than is really necessary with a Leica - i think it's adequate for my Canon with 100-400 or 400DO (as long as you don't jack the center column up).

The other alternative is the Gitzo Traveler which has a price comensurate with the Leica, and probably stout enought depending on your use - but definitely a step below the Feisol in capacity and rigidity.

Photostudent

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:56:36 am »

i think you should use Gitzo or manfrotto Carbon fiber series tripods.

Feisol's models are a little confused.  I have the 3441S which may or may not be the successor to the 3441B.  I was not comfortable buying the Feisol ball head and bought the littlest Markins instead.

This is a very light, rigid tripod folding to a compact dimension.  Perhaps more rigid than is really necessary with a Leica - i think it's adequate for my Canon with 100-400 or 400DO (as long as you don't jack the center column up).

The other alternative is the Gitzo Traveler which has a price comensurate with the Leica, and probably stout enought depending on your use - but definitely a step below the Feisol in capacity and rigidity.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dhansak79

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:22 pm »

I ordered a Gitzo Traveler tripod today.  A bit pricey but definitely the lightest and most compact I could find.

It won't be used that heavily so I needed something as small as possible.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Daniel

hassiman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:41:54 pm »

The Gitzo is a great tripod... but along with my Gitzo 3540LS I always carry my Leitz tabletop tripod and Leitz ball head.  You should be able to find these used on e-bay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up